Boarding process - vs reality - vs planned tranportation to the port

TheCalicoCat

Good Morning,

I will be Sailing on MS Amsterdam on July 17th out of Seattle.

I booked a MM Guarantee, I have not been assigned my room yet, but that cabin type or one that is perhaps better could be on many decks.

I have already hired a car to drive my from my airport hotel to the pier at 11:30 a.m. on the 17th.

I just got this letter & and questioning if I am ok with my already planned car service. (& How could I abide without knowing where my room is yet?)

Thanks again in advance.

We would like to provide you with important information regarding your sailing. To enhance the check-in and boarding experience, we ask that guests arrive at the terminal based on the following times. Guests who have booked a transfer or hotel package with Holland America will be provided a check-in time at the

airport or hotel.

1:00 PM - Deck 6 & Deck 7 (Verandah & Navigation)

1:30 PM - Deck 3 (Lower Promenade)

2:00 PM - Deck 2 (Main)

2:30 PM - Deck 1 (Dolphin)

We invite our 4 and 5 Star Mariners, Pinnacle and Neptune Suite guests to arrive anytime between 12:30 P.M. and 3:00 P.M. Boarding will commence shortly after check in. All guests must be onboard 1 hour prior to sailing. We appreciate your understanding and cooperation, and look forward to welcoming you onboard.

You will more than likely receive your cabin assignment before July 17. What is the car service's policy as far as changing pick up and drop off times? If it's going to be a problem, or an added expense, call HAL or have your TA contact them. HAL is aware you don't have a cabin, and should be able to accommodate you.

Roz

Just ignore the suggested time and stick with the arrangement you have with the hired car. You won't be turned away and boarding will likely begin around 11:30. But be prepared for congestion. :)

Thanks.

In our limited cruising experiences, we have ranged the gamut of boarding from no lines, to long line to sitting around for a while.

None of that bugs us because we are so close to being on the boat. (Once every couple of years with a now 8.5 year old, so the novelty hasn't worn yet. If it has for you - take a child!)

We boarded in Seattle on May 22, took a later hour for the shuttle from our motel and arrived after the assigned boarding time. We waited about 20 min. and were on the ship. As others have said, the assigned time is a suggestion and no matter what time you arrive they will know your cabin location. We found Seattle a very easy port terminal to navigate and very pleasant people to deal with. Enjoy every minute of your cruise!

Those times are only "suggestions". We're on the July 3rd cruise and we'll be at the port at our normal 10:30 time ready to check in. We'll probably board by 11:30 as DH is wheelchaired on.

Karen

Where do you get "suggestions" out of that notice. To me, the "we are asking" sounded more like, "this is what we expect."

Biggest issue will be the waiting area and finding a seat. Arriving early helps with that. For Oosterdam a few weeks ago boarding of the suites actually started at about 11:30 and very shortly after the wheelchairs and mobility device people (like my wife). So we did not see what process they were using for calling (or not) by deck number, like rows on an airplane but even so everyone in the waiting area would have been boarded fairly quickly so those actually showing up at 12:30 or after would have walked right on. Our other reason for boarding early was to go to MDR for lunch (open Noon to 1pm) and if we had come at our 1:30pm time slot we would have missed it. The boarding time slots and the limited MDR time sort of makes doing lunch there another "suite perk" unless you try to board early.

This notice sounds to me like they are expecting a delayed boarding process, either for tides, for deep cleaning, of a delayed arrrival. If that's the case, I think showing up at 10:30 (as one poster said is their norm) will add to the chaos. I think the OP should at least be prepared for the possibility that their boarding could be delayed, and have a plan B... like a snack in a pocket, a good book and a lot of patience. Could make for some good people watching! m--

Don't you just love how everyone uses the term "ENHANCE" these days? :rolleyes:

Yeah, right.....

A few of my personal HAL favourites are "verify", "technical difficulty" and "my colleague". :D

As to the topic of the thread----we have arrived at the pier for every cruise between 10:30 and 11:00 and have never encountered a problem.

I like to have lunch and then be all unpacked and put away prior to the safety drill.

This notice sounds to me like they are expecting a delayed boarding process, either for tides, for deep cleaning, of a delayed arrrival.

This is about the same schedule they sent us for Oosterdam though most of the time slots were for two decks at a time. All Seattle sailings are scheduled to depart at (or nearly at) 4pm (except Seabourn Solstice at 5pm) so all aboard is at 3pm and muster drill around 3:15. I think the timing might have something to do with Puget Sound Vessel Traffic Services scheduling other ship traffic on the Sound. We find it fun to watch the parade of ships around 5pm from Picnic Point beach near Everett on Sunday afternoons.