Enjoying Ports Considered "Rough" Or "Run Down"

markannab

Everyone has their own view and approach to things, so what I'm about to say is not meant to be critical. I only wish to express the different view my wife and I have to many who express opinions about ports that are, for example, short of money, dirty or known for "shady" characters.

Quite often, I read advice to fellow cruisers to not bother getting off the ship at such-and-such a location. Or, they will advise others to head to the nearest luxury resort and avoid the local town. Frequently, comments are very negative.

By comparison, my wife and I get a thrill by visiting such places and seeing how others live. We rarely take tours but, instead, immerse ourselves in the local community while in port. Often, it's the poorer places that are the most interesting. The last thing we want to do is head straight to an Australian-run resort where we can only repeat all the things we've been doing on the ship (eating, drinking, swimming).

We get away from the tourist-filled streets and wander in the quieter streets. We plunge into the local food markets with all the sights and smells, we step over piles of live seafood, squeeze between noisy vendors and chat to locals.

On a trip just eight weeks ago to a variety of Pacific Islands that don't have much, we climbed mountains, walked kilometres, and were returned to the ship by friendly locals who gave us a lift in the back of their truck.

In Suva, while fully prepped for the "sword sellers" and others, we were caught out by a man who acted as our protector, warning us about those people and flashing a fake council ID badge. He was a pain for several hours as he desperately tried to keep hold of us. (Incidentally, we return in February and we'll be ready for him this time).

These ports may not be five-star. But getting into the thick of things creates memories and a lot of laughs. Yes, safety has to be considered. But we're yet to find problems in that regard. We'd miss out on those memories and experiences if we stayed onboard or hid in a resort for the day.

Markannab - I totally agree with you. So often people are whisked through a rather real and grubby port to visit some sanitised cultural village and very often towns like Suva can indeed be immensely rewarding places to visit. However, judging by the list of ships you have been on, I strongly urge you to consider travelling on expedition cruise ships which have zodiac landing craft and never more than a hundred or so passengers. The sort of ships you have been on cannot land passengers on remote islands. Expedition ships regularly land passengers on islands such as Pitcairn, Palmerston Atoll and remote village communities in the Solomons such as this one which our ship, Caledonian Sky, visited a couple of years ago -

12364560293_1f0d40d4f0_c.jpgSanta Cruz Islands, Solomon Islands by UltraPanavision, on Flickr

and the ship at anchor in the bay -

12284970554_7e8d3b137f_c.jpgVanikoro, Solomon Islands by UltraPanavision, on Flickr

Edited by Fletcher

I admit that such a cruise does appeal. Just not sure the funds would reach that far! Our circumstances allow us to book last minute and get incredible deals. That's the only way we can afford to travel as we do. I'm guessing expedition-type cruises are generally near full price. :)

Yes, expedition cruising is generally more expensive than a regular cruise on a big ship and discounts are fairly rare. However, these cruises almost always include shore excursions, gratuities and drinks with all meals. No one nickels and dimes you on board. Your fellow passengers are like-minded. There is no silly dress code: most people dress down rather than dress up. And considering the extreme remoteness of many itineraries I consider them to be good value.

Everyone has their own view and approach to things, so what I'm about to say is not meant to be critical. I only wish to express the different view my wife and I have to many who express opinions about ports that are, for example, short of money, dirty or known for "shady" characters.

Quite often, I read advice to fellow cruisers to not bother getting off the ship at such-and-such a location. Or, they will advise others to head to the nearest luxury resort and avoid the local town. Frequently, comments are very negative.

By comparison, my wife and I get a thrill by visiting such places and seeing how others live. We rarely take tours but, instead, immerse ourselves in the local community while in port. Often, it's the poorer places that are the most interesting. The last thing we want to do is head straight to an Australian-run resort where we can only repeat all the things we've been doing on the ship (eating, drinking, swimming).

We get away from the tourist-filled streets and wander in the quieter streets. We plunge into the local food markets with all the sights and smells, we step over piles of live seafood, squeeze between noisy vendors and chat to locals.

On a trip just eight weeks ago to a variety of Pacific Islands that don't have much, we climbed mountains, walked kilometres, and were returned to the ship by friendly locals who gave us a lift in the back of their truck.

In Suva, while fully prepped for the "sword sellers" and others, we were caught out by a man who acted as our protector, warning us about those people and flashing a fake council ID badge. He was a pain for several hours as he desperately tried to keep hold of us. (Incidentally, we return in February and we'll be ready for him this time).

These ports may not be five-star. But getting into the thick of things creates memories and a lot of laughs. Yes, safety has to be considered. But we're yet to find problems in that regard. We'd miss out on those memories and experiences if we stayed onboard or hid in a resort for the day.

Have you ever cruised on the Aranui? There are some posts on here (not many) from a few people who have done it (and LOVED it) and I just checked their site - they occasionally offer a 10% discount.

Just thought I'd mention it - you may know of it already - hope you continue to enjoy these amazing journeys/experiences...this is truly "traveling" so wonderful!!

• 3 weeks later...

Only saw one area in the Pacific Islands with overt criminal activity and Gang-bangers. Honolulu's North Side!!. Go figure.... LocoLoco1

• 3 months later...

Well said!!! I can't tell you how many times we've had people say to us " don't go here, it's shady, poor, etc", or "don't bother getting off the ship, its dangerous". Really? You really think major cruise lines would purposely dock if they knew there was imminent danger? We love going off on our own and exploring local culture, & can't understand why you would take a cruise to seek out places exactly like where you came from. But to each his own. People in northern latitudes go for the warm weather and resort beaches. Some people go for the cruising experience and never get off the ship. And for some, cruising is an excuse for a major shopping extravaganza. To each his own. We research the ports and use normal cautionary procedures & have come away with lots of good memories. And - it's really good that not everybody likes to do the same thing!

One must go out further than before to find untouched places that haven't been 'found'.

Even the small islands with a few hundred people seem to have a cell tower now days.

Thankful that we found places not 'found' over the last 20 years but it is getting harder. Once found we've seen kids who were shy who ran around half naked to now where kids wear designer swim pants and have the latest cell phone, no longer shy but sometimes giving you an evil stare to tell you or not wanted around. Tourism is a tough thing. On one hand you want to bring people to an untouched island but knowing the locals will be westernized ...... but there are untouched places still just off the beaten trek.

• 2 weeks later...

Agree. I think a lot of this comes from people who get their "reality" from TV and not from...reality.

I was on a trip with a stop at Jamaica a few years back and our dinner table was dominated by one of these TV experts who regaled us with horror stories about how totally unsafe it was, you were going to get machine-gunned, etc. (I think he was kind of narrow-minded about people "different" from himself). I got off and walked 4 miles to a beach just to prove him wrong. Encountered nothing but friendliness.

It does help that I live in a metro area and I've seen it all. Frankly, the scammers you (occasionally) encounter on the islands are amateurs.

• 1 month later...

Just be sure you do your homework. Although it is very rare for a cruise ship, expedition or otherwise, to stop in really dangerous places. However there are sometimes places in ports to be avoided, just as there are in cities you live in. And I can think of one or two islands where I would be very cautious about wandering off- and I lived on them.

And then there was the local I met whose parents had been cannibals- I had wandered off as I was feeling ill and was definitely a bit unsettled by her stories. As in- Yes, that hole there is where they would stash the bodies for later cooking. True story.