Closed toe shoes

ladybug0103

Is there a need to pack closed toe shoes for my 5 year old? It is extremely hard to get him to wear them for more a few minutes. He wears flip flops year round so, I won't pack them unless they are needed for an activity or kids club. We will be on RC Allure.

honestly, if he's used to the flip flops normally I'd just keep him in them. I haven't sailed RC, but none of the other kids clubs I've used have had any shoe rules.

I can't think of any excursions where my son couldn't wear flip flops (he wore sandals since that's what he's used to.) That included one rain forest and one canopy walk, and he was fine. I guess if you are hiking through uneven terrain you'd want better shoes, but I wouldn't recommend that with a young child anyway.

• 2 months later...

I know this reply is a bit late, but hopefully future cruisers will take note of the risks onboard the ship. My son insists on doing what his grandpa does, even dresses like grandpa etc. - he is grandpa's tail!! Grandpa generally wears flip flops, and on the most recent cruise Grandpa insisted on taking his flip flops and so my son took his with too.

Decks are slippery - especially early morning when the two of them go on their morning walk. Grandpa has broken ribs in the past, and as fate has it, on this cruise grandpa slips on the deck while wearing his flip flops. He spent a few days in pain, and it took me 3 days before I could get his flip flops to "disappear". Son (and grandpa) realized that flip flops are NOT for the deck!! Neither wore flip flops again on the ship.

Thank you. As long as there is no rule on the ship we will leave the shoes home.

In the Adventure Ocean (Aquanauts) on RCI...they actually had the kids take off their shoes when they entered...so I would bring a pair of socks for use.

Will your little one wear tennis shoes (sneakers)? Ours wears Vans and would certainly bring along a pair.

Funny, on Disney cruise when my granddaughter was 7, she dressed for dinner and had on nice white sandals.

My daughter was busy getting her brother ready for dinner and herself and did not notice till we all got to the elevator.

"Thanks for buying her new shoes mom" she said to me - nope, not me, oh? where did they come from - she said they were under her bed, so she just put them on... told the staff, and they said just to keep them, not worth turning them in, so she ended up with nice white sandals for dinner!

If he wants to try rock climbing, he'll need closed-toe shoes. I think that was the only time my 7-year-old wore his.

If he is not allowed to do an activity because he's not dressed properly then hopefully this will be a learning lesson for him.

We are going in September so this isn't too late. He is high functioning autistic and anything closed toes is sensory overload. I will remind him to be slow and careful on the deck and he's too young for the rock wall so no problems there. I will double check on the RCI board and bring socks that's a good idea. Thank you everyone.