First Time Solo Cruiser

First time solo cruiser, in fact I just registered for this site today and this is my first post. There is so much information here I really don't know where to start. I'm pretty sure my first cruise will be about a week long Caribbean cruise but I really don't know how to go about whittling down all the information I need. Anyway, great to be aboard!!! :cool:

Welcome to CC and to the magical, addictive world of cruising! :D As you begin to focus on your first cruise, be sure to ask specific questions as there are lots of great folks who are willing to help!

• 1 month later...

Hello and welcome. If you tell us your ship and what ports you will be going to it will help us to help you more :). Also the tip about going to the singles board is a great tip. Check and see if your ship is having a meet and greet. There is a board here for those also. Your first cruise will be a great experience if you go with a positive attitude of just knowing you won't be the only single, mingle with others, take part in things on the ship and enjoy the ports you will be going too. Since you will be on your own perhaps you can buddy up with someone from the ship to do some things on land tours with or take tours with smaller groups. Have a wonderful time and I'm sure you will be going on more cruises after this one. Happy cruising.

If you are shopping for a cruise line still, norwegian has a solo program on some of their newer ships. They have solo rooms with no single supplement, a solo lounge, and believe they have solo get together.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Welcome to Cruise Critic Desmond Hume and to the wonderful world of cruising.

The Caribbean is a lovely place to cruise. Will you be leaving out of Florida? If so there are a wide variety of ships heading to that destination.

If you're on the east coast, you have several choices. Royal Caribbean's Anthem of the Seas does 7-night Bahamas cruises from New Jersey.

Royal Caribbean caters to families their ships are beautiful, with loads to do on board. The ships feature the latest on board technology with many bells and whistles. Allure, Oasis, Harmony and brand new Symphony are among the largest ships in the world.

Radiance and Jewel have more of a classic liner feel with less dazzle and pomp of their sister ships.

Holland America Line has a very traditional feel, elegant ships, with first class service, delicious food and great ports.

Celebrity the sister line of Royal Caribbean is much more subdued but, very beautiful and cutting edge.

Princess is another great line to consider gorgeous ships. We have cruised the Regal and thought she was beautiful.

It's always appealing to cruise on a new ship, but, they will always be more expensive. Try and pick a ship that has been refurbished recently so you still have that brand new feel on board. Then again it will all be brand new to you anyway. ;)

Cruise Critic provides an amazing wealth of information from reviews to pointers to first hand accounts of cruises.

Pick up a copy of Berlitz's Ocean Cruising 2017 by Douglas Ward. This is a terrific source of information on all the major cruise lines, their fine points, pros, cons, reviews.

Do some research, speak with a travel agent either one online that specializes in cruises or store near your home.

We're all happy to help you find the cruise that will send you on this wonderful adventure we all so enjoy.

Jonathan

Welcome, Desmond. As others have said, be sure to head to the solos board to get solo cruising tips. If you're considering the Caribbean, Holland America will often let solos pay less than 200% on inside and outside cabins. Don't automatically assume that so-called single cabins are a better deal than regular cabins.

Roz

Welcome to cruise critic!

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned P&O on here.. P&O actually have solo balcony cabins! (I didn't know that they existed).

Review of the solo balcony cabins here: http://cruisingisntjustforoldpeople.co.uk/2017/06/05/solo-cruising-britannia-review/

I do realise that P&O don't sail the Caribbean but it is worth baring in mind :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...