What type of mix of people will I meet on Azamara or will I fit in?

Earl Colby Pottinger

So far I have done 14 cruises on Carnival, Holland America, NCL and Royal Caribbean.

I have booked the Journey for November 7.2018 for the trans-Atlantic to Miami as a solo cruiser.

However, I am in fact a simple person, it just happens that I have always paid 100% for anything I buy by saving up first. So I ended up owning no money on what I do have. All my life I have been a computer tech/programmer making less than $30,000 a year. My future home will be a tiny house in Northern Ontario.

I get the the impression that most of the people to be found on Azamara ships are of a lot wealthier and work in totally different fields (lawyers, bankers, money managers and other high-end jobs), I will try my best to fit in but I know my life experiences are different and I am worried about being on a ship for 17 days with no-one to talk to.

What type of people will I meet on the ship? Are they very relaxed and open to strangers. Are there event for solo cruisers on-board?

To those who wondered why I have dived straight into the unknown, I am finding the old cruise line getting more and more expensive with adding in their services, plus I want to go places that the other regular cruise-lines are not going to.

Also money is not a problem for me, two years ago I had a stoke and had the sell my lakeside property up north because it was water access only and medically it was not considered safe, last year I sold my house since the market here near Toronto was so hot, and I still have a condo in Miami so at the end the cruise I have some place to stay.

If things goes well I think I will try more luxury cruises, who do you recommend besides Azamara for a solo cruiser?

Or is this a pipe-dream?

You will fit right in with Azamara. The fellow passengers are usually very friendly and outgoing and are very well traveled, There will be a singles table hosted by the cruise director early in the cruise. I suggest that you join the Roll Call for your cruise so you can establish relationships before you board.

We joke ( but with more truth than humor ) that we have more friends on Azamara than we do on land ( and we have lots of family and friends on land ) . It is a great venue to expand your horizons. Enjoy !

I agree with BillC, Azamara cruisers are a friendly lot. Joining the Rollcall is a good idea and you should also sign up for the Meet & Mingle at http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/rollcall/. When you sign up for the Meet & Mingle there will be a message saying that 25 need to sign up for it to be held - don't worry about that - Azamara will hold it even if fewer than 25 sign off.

If you enjoy quizzing, then a good way to get talking to people would be to go along to the various trivia quizzes held every day and join a team.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think you will find plenty of people who are like you. We have to save for several years for each cruise, not everyone on there is wealthy. And even if they are you wouldn't know it, people who cruise az are just regular all around nice people. You'll have a great time I'm sure.

Sent from my SM-J200Y using Forums mobile app

Like BillC we are now blessed to have a large Azamara family (including Bill and his lovely wife). Thing is, unlike other cruiselines you rarely hear the "what do/did you do at work" question. You are more likely to hear "what other ports/destinations would you recommend".

I actually do not know exactly what many of my Azamara friends do/did. I know for several the organisation they were or are with but whether they were the tea boy or the CEO who knows.

Actually the "pension pot" bragger and the "my house is worth" boaster really stand out as misfits and unless they are rhino skinned they quickly pipe down.

So do enjoy the time onboard, go to events and activities and as you get to know others your circle of friends will grow. Start on conversations about the ports of call and soon you will be talking with many about everything and anything and building your circle of Azamara friends.

Agree with all of the replies above.

On our last cruise, it seemed that the interested solo cruisers organized and enjoyed more than one shared dinner in the MDR.

Azamara is noted for its friendly crew, and that atmosphere quickly extends to the passengers as well.

Hope you are enjoying our only recently arrived spring weather.

You will be fine and love Azamara. The atmosphere on board is warm and homely. We have cruised Cunard, Royal Caribbean and Thomson - a Uk/German company and all of these we found flash people who thought they were one step up above everyone. Not so on Azamara, NO person (crew or passengers ) judges you, they accept you for who you are, there is no one you see who appears to take pride in feeling superior to anyone. Everyone is equal. Other guests are well travelled and willing to speak to you but not talk down to you or are in your space all the time.

The atmosphere is so relaxing and not flash or over the top. It is very relaxing; due to the guest code, open dining and complimentary drinks!

Join the Roll Call after booking or even read up before hand. Above all relax and certainly don't be concerned.

Thank you everyone.

It seems I will have no problems fitting in, it is true that on the other cruise lines often the first thing is asked is what type of work you do, the questions about where you have been and how often do come up also but I would say it was a 50/50 mix of how often I was asked what type of work I did was asked first.

I will try to join the solo meetings, and hope to have a fun time on this cruise. And if my bank accounts will allow it do not be surprised to see me on other trips too.

Thank you everyone.

It seems I will have no problems fitting in, it is true that on the other cruise lines often the first thing is asked is what type of work you do, the questions about where you have been and how often do come up also but I would say it was a 50/50 mix of how often I was asked what type of work I did was asked first.

I will try to join the solo meetings, and hope to have a fun time on this cruise. And if my bank accounts will allow it do not be surprised to see me on other trips too.

Well, Canadians particularly like to ask each other what they do for a living. But I don't remember anyone asking us on our one Azamara cruise. (And frankly, nobody ever asks the women, just the men, lol.) If I am asked, unless they are really interested in details, I just say I'm in "IT". That should work for you.

We just got off Quest today. It was the most enjoyable cruise and we met lots of lovely people, including Canadians.

The food and entertainment was fantastic, the weather and ports were great and the two sisters meet (Quest and Journey in Barcelona together) was special.

You will have no trouble fitting in and I echo the previous comments..,join your roll call, maybe arrange some private tours together, go to the hosted solo cruiser dinners, ask to sit by others at Windows cafe, go to Trivia, it's a great meeting place to make new friends.

I'm sure you will love your Azamara cruise and hopefully it will be the first of many.

In all of our cruising years, I (or DH) have been asked what we do for a living no more than a handful of times. Usually it's in the context of a discussion about a particular topic. Nobody has led off with it.

What I find really refreshing about Azamara is that, unlike on Royal Caribbean, nobody asks us how many points we have, how many times we have sailed, why we are allowed in the Concierge Lounge, etc. RCI has the worst status-seekers on any of the lines on which I've sailed.

And being in IT may make you the most popular guy on the ship!

• Like 1

I don't see anything wrong about asking what you do for a living or about your previous cruising. They are both perfectly legitimate ice breakers, or ways of looking for common interests and topics for discussion. If this is your first cruise, maybe I can share some useful information. If it's your 20th, maybe I can learn something from you, especially since this will be my first Azamara cruise. The problem is when people use them as status rankings.

Just something to think about.

Kathy D.

Edited by CruisinCadie
typo

I personally don't like being asked what I do for a living when on a cruise.

I prefer ice breakers such as where people are from, or whether they have sailed Azamara before.

We were never asked our occupations on our previous cruise on Quest. We met many very nice, friendly people who made us feel like part of the family.

I don't see anything wrong about asking what you do for a living or about your previous cruising. They are both perfectly legitimate ice breakers, or ways of looking for common interests and topics for discussion. If this is your first cruise, maybe I can share some useful information. If it's your 20th, maybe I can learn something from you, especially since this will be my first Azamara cruise. The problem is when people use them as status rankings.

Kathy D.

Kathy D.

The problem is I am a computer tech.

If I tell people what I do for a living at-least half of them will launch into their latest problem with their computer and then ask me for advice on how to fix it. But what make it worse it that really what they really want is a fast and easy solution to their problem, and they will not do what really needs to be done.

For example, for most serious problems the first thing I tell people that must do is a backup, then test that the backup is good. Immediately the complaints start, they can't shut down the use of the computers to do a backup, why do they have to waste the time to confirm the back up is good (of-course it is they say), the complete backup will need extra tapes/drives to store all that info, they don't have that type of money to spare, the operators don't have the free time/budget to do the backup.

Notice we have not even started to fix the real problem and they are giving excuses not to follow my instructions.

And that is why I hate talking about computers to most people, it does not matter what I say, they do not plan to fully and properly follow my advice anyway - they end up wasting both of our times.

PS. I understand doctors and lawyers have this problem too.

PSS. I don't mind talking about my previous cruises if it is an info exchange, not a boasting game about how many or where you have gone. Love telling people about the hidden gems they would have otherwise miss going to a place I have already been to.

While reading this thread, it came up to my mind, that there appears not to be many subjects to talk to people one just met. This independently if it is on a cruise or not.

For example, politics and religion are tabu. Many people do not want to be asked where they come from and other subjects seem to be also not desirable for some people. Not easy, if the environment is small like on a ship and if we are getting to know new people.

I just take it easy. I do not have any problems on being asked, what I do for a living. I do enjoy interesting conversations and I do enjoy getting to know people from different backgrounds. I do not mind being asked about subjects from my professional background. But this is just me :cool:

I actually posted a review of sorts about making the jump from Mass Market to Boutique (Royal to Azamara) I had sailed plenty of small ships before, mostly expedition ships, and the PG and lots of large mass market ships, but this review was really comparing the idea of switching to medium sized ships from the big ships. Would I like the peopel, the activites, etc.

Hope it helps answer some of your questions about the group of folks on Azamara. (Or at least the small subset I met on one cruise) I actually found them less anxious to compare sizes (of anything :')) because most were far more interested in talking travel/activites/and about the destinations we had just (or were about to see) . Good luck!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2324530

Btw, off topic but my hubby is a software person, and our photographer. With my writing and his photos and background in software, we are fanatical about back up....I think it's a HUGE problem, people have a decade of photos un backed up. :eek: At least now the "cloud" does it for you without thinking, but I feel it's not enough, we've seen enough hacks and problems! We have regular computer disc storage, then hard drives in the house, portable hard drives in 2 separate locations AND cloud storage for our photos and stories. This stuff will be around in the next ice age :') No one will want it, but it will be around :o

While reading this thread, it came up to my mind, that there appears not to be many subjects to talk to people one just met. This independently if it is on a cruise or not.

For example, politics and religion are tabu. Many people do not want to be asked where they come from and other subjects seem to be also not desirable for some people. Not easy, if the environment is small like on a ship and if we are getting to know new people.

I just take it easy. I do not have any problems on being asked, what I do for a living. I do enjoy interesting conversations and I do enjoy getting to know people from different backgrounds. I do not mind being asked about subjects from my professional background. But this is just me :cool:

It's easier for Brits, we just always moan, er, talk about the weather - it's too hot ... too cold ... too wet ... too dry ... or even too nice, expecting it to be worse ...

Other icebreakers include

Did you spend a few days in (port of embarkation) before coming on board....gives opportunity for follow up chats and comparisons

Are you going to spend any time in (port of disembarkation) after the cruise - again follow up opportunities

What are you doing in x port of call...

And yes if you are British (or actually anywhere) so what are your temperatures back home just now.

Very easy to stay off the what do you do questions which I agree are ones to be avoided and I can again confirm thankfully rarely asked on Azamara

I don't see anything wrong with asking a person where they are from. This can lead to lots of interesting conversations about different parts of the world. City or country? Oh, you're a farmer, what do you farm? Toronto, oh, I love the Rockies--are you far from them (ha ha?) What is this country like? Etc.

I was in IT as well, but not a computer tech per se. People on cruises probably won't ask you to fix their PC, lol!

Kathy D.

I agree that there's nothing wrong with asking about what one does for a living, so long as the questioner doesn't then shudder in distaste at finding out that I'm a lawyer/sewer worker/telemarketer. :D As for the previous cruising, I'm just gun shy about it, having spent most of my cruising life on the Status of the Seas ships.

I agree that there's nothing wrong with asking about what one does for a living, so long as the questioner doesn't then shudder in distaste at finding out that I'm a lawyer/sewer worker/telemarketer. :D As for the previous cruising, I'm just gun shy about it, having spent most of my cruising life on the Status of the Seas ships.

Agree and if I'm asked I tend to be vague and say a few our children see their inheritance dwindling as our love for ships keeps growing. And we don't tell people our status unless directly asked.