Problems with the Unlimited Open Bar?

Rou-Dyliq

A friend just got back from the Getaway. He was in a Haven suite and told us that staff was refusing to honor the package for some wines under $15. Did anyone else have this experience? I'm not sure which sailing he was on but it was within the last month. My husband is concerned about this for our next sailing.

The number of wines available by the glass is fairly limited, so maybe this was the problem they had. Perhaps they were after wine that had previously been available by the glass (and therefore with the UBP), but is no longer available like that.

A friend just got back from the Getaway. He was in a Haven suite and told us that staff was refusing to honor the package for some wines under $15. Did anyone else have this experience? I'm not sure which sailing he was on but it was within the last month. My husband is concerned about this for our next sailing.

I have a hard time believing this. If I saw a wine on the menu that said $12 and they would not serve it, I would just call for the supervisor.

The only way I can see this as being an issue is that some bars on the ship may not stock every wine.

Was your friend able to "pay" for said wines? I only ask as there is more to the story.

I wish they would let you know ahead of time when you're ordering something that has an extra cost. For example, on my cruise last December, I only found out when I checked my bill in the cabin that the chi-chis I had on the pool deck had an extra fee. Not a huge deal, but it would still be nice to know.

Once when I had the UBP, I ordered a tequila sunrise. I didn't know this was (at least at the time) a specialty drink except on the days when it was offered as the daily special. The bartender didn't tell me there would be an extra fee if I ordered it, even though he had to have seen the sticker on my card.

So he made the drink and handed it to me. I took a sip (yummy!) as he took my card. When he brought me the slip to sign, I mentioned that I thought it would be included. He told me it's not included on the UBP. Then, without any explanation or warning, he grabbed it right out of my hand and dumped it down the drain! He didn't even give me a chance to say, "No, that's all right, I'll pay the difference. (I had already been drinking it, after all.)

It was so amazingly shocking and rude! I felt like a little kid who just had her lolly stolen.

I went to the bar manager and she happily made me a new one (with cheaper tequila, which was fine with me).

That's how I learned that they make the tequila sunrise with cheap tequila on the day that it's on special, but on other days they will only make it with the "good stuff" and then they charge you extra for it. What an embarrassing way to learn!

I have had great experiences on the Breakaway...I have never ordered a drink that incurred an extra charge and I am surprised because while a tequilla sunrise is not my "go to drink" I have ordered and never had a problem with an extra charge. What I liked about the staff on Breakaway is while we were in the NYC port they always almost apologetically told me about the extra tax charge. I knew this going on the ship that a tax would be charged but always let the staff knew that I was aware of the extra charge and appreciated the reminder. I have a feeling based on their approach there were plenty of passengers that were not aware and were argumentative about the charge.

I wish they would let you know ahead of time when you're ordering something that has an extra cost. For example, on my cruise last December, I only found out when I checked my bill in the cabin that the chi-chis I had on the pool deck had an extra fee. Not a huge deal, but it would still be nice to know.

Once when I had the UBP, I ordered a tequila sunrise. I didn't know this was (at least at the time) a specialty drink except on the days when it was offered as the daily special. The bartender didn't tell me there would be an extra fee if I ordered it, even though he had to have seen the sticker on my card.

So he made the drink and handed it to me. I took a sip (yummy!) as he took my card. When he brought me the slip to sign, I mentioned that I thought it would be included. He told me it's not included on the UBP. Then, without any explanation or warning, he grabbed it right out of my hand and dumped it down the drain! He didn't even give me a chance to say, "No, that's all right, I'll pay the difference. (I had already been drinking it, after all.)

It was so amazingly shocking and rude! I felt like a little kid who just had her lolly stolen.

I went to the bar manager and she happily made me a new one (with cheaper tequila, which was fine with me).

That's how I learned that they make the tequila sunrise with cheap tequila on the day that it's on special, but on other days they will only make it with the "good stuff" and then they charge you extra for it. What an embarrassing way to learn!

How rude of him to do that to you. I would have told him to go make me another one please. That said, I was under the impression that with the UBP you can order whatever your want but you have to pay the extra charge if it goes over $12 or $15...not sure which. So in your case, wouldn't it have just been a small extra charge rather than paying for the entire drink?

How rude of him to do that to you. I would have told him to go make me another one please. That said, I was under the impression that with the UBP you can order whatever your want but you have to pay the extra charge if it goes over $12 or $15...not sure which. So in your case, wouldn't it have just been a small extra charge rather than paying for the entire drink?
About a year ago there was a price increase on many drinks that were previously covered under the UBP, but were raised to 17.95. So, if you order one of those drinks, you're charged the price difference of 2.95 + 18% gratuity or 3.48. Many of the drinks make no sense, like the Grey Goose vodka in flavored versions that are 17.95, while the regular version is still covered under the program. Or a Dark & Stormy, which you can get on Carnival for half the price.

These anecdotal stories of being ripped off by the UBP don't map to our very frequent use of the perk. Not once have we ordered a drink in excess of the $15 limit without being told. And, yes, there are some cocktails which exceed that amount, but they're rare. Sometimes a bartender is having a bad day but, compared to bar service on land, cruise ship bartenders are much better, friendlier, and more busy. It's been my observation that most people who've received bad bar service deserved it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Every time I ordered a drink (not that many) that was over $15, I was informed there would be an extra charge. My father-in-law routinely ordered drinks costing $16.95 and $17.95, and he was informed each time -- even if it was the same waiter -- of the overage before the drink was poured.

The only time I had a problem was in Le Bistro. I wanted a glass of champagne (not prosecco) that was listed on the menu for $12.95/glass. They told me it wasn't included because they would have to open a whole bottle.

The only time I had a problem was in Le Bistro. I wanted a glass of champagne (not prosecco) that was listed on the menu for $12.95/glass. They told me it wasn't included because they would have to open a whole bottle.

They why do they even offer it by the glass? That's a poor excuse!

Wow, shelleyqt's stories are crazy. You must have had a really bad barstaff/waitstaff crew. I was on the jade in Jan and if I ordered something over the limit they always mentioned that there would be an additional charge. Don't understand how a tequila sunrise wouldn't be included - can make it with one of the included tequilas. Weird. But it sounds like that was an unusual experience. I didn't have any issues like that at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have never had an issue with UBP including when I ordered shots to make my vodka tonic a double. I waited a bit then ordered the shot and it was never an issue. Then again we stick to the drinks under the amount covered so there is never any question. I am sorry a few people had an unpleasant episode especially being refused something listed on the menu.

These anecdotal stories of being ripped off by the UBP don't map to our very frequent use of the perk. Not once have we ordered a drink in excess of the $15 limit without being told. And, yes, there are some cocktails which exceed that amount, but they're rare. Sometimes a bartender is having a bad day but, compared to bar service on land, cruise ship bartenders are much better, friendlier, and more busy. It's been my observation that most people who've received bad bar service deserved it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You mean, anecdotal stories just like your anecdotal story?

The bartender should serve you whatever you order, regardless of whether or not it's covered by UBP, as long as it's on the menu. Then should you be charged on your statement, dispute it at that time. Anything else makes no sense to me.

You should have said that wouldn't be a problem as you'll be having 6 glasses.

It drives me crazy that the chocolate martinis are no longer covered, but I cannot say I was ever surprised. Every time I ordered one, I was informed that the difference would be charged before the drink was made. And I have had ALOT of chocolate martinis, on several different ships.

It drives me crazy that the chocolate martinis are no longer covered, but I cannot say I was ever surprised. Every time I ordered one, I was informed that the difference would be charged before the drink was made. And I have had ALOT of chocolate martinis, on several different ships.

This drives me crazy too! There isn't an ounce of premium liquor in those. They just surcharge them because they're popular, I think.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Forums mobile app

Last year, I witnessed a customer demand four drinks while only having in his possession one sea pass. When he was told he could only have two drinks as there were only two people in the room. His actions were totally embarassing not only what he called the bartender and threats he made were totally uncalled for.. i told the bartender I witnessed everything as I was waiting and watching. The bartender said this individual knew the rules but what was happening was they would sell to their other travelling friends without UDP drinks all day where the UDP holder would go to bar and get drinks for all... The NCL bartenders are so patient and kind... At one point the NCL said "so you want me to break NCL rules" the customer said "yes".. He then reported this bartender to mgmt...

We had an amusing drink order in O'Sheehans while eating a late lunch. My DH headed over to the bar to order but was stopped by the waitress who said she would get the order for the two of us. (Very sweet waitress!) We both had the UBP. Then it got kind of muddled. We were trying to order a Fireball and Ginger Ale. The waitress came back with Five Ginger Ales for the two of us....and we weren't charged any extra;) Very refreshing!

Can I please ask a question about the Unlimited Open Bar? We originally chose the $50 toward shore excursions but are thinking twice about it since we are only going on 2 NCL planned trips. Our travel agent says we can switch to UOB or the Specialty Dining. Am I doing the math right?

If the UOB package requires you to pay gratuities of $97 pp that's $194. If both of us wanted 2 glasses of wine each of the 7 nights that would be $194/7/4 = $6.92 per glass. What does the average glass of wine cost? It's got to be more that $6.92.

Can I please ask a question about the Unlimited Open Bar? We originally chose the $50 toward shore excursions but are thinking twice about it since we are only going on 2 NCL planned trips. Our travel agent says we can switch to UOB or the Specialty Dining. Am I doing the math right?

If the UOB package requires you to pay gratuities of $97 pp that's $194. If both of us wanted 2 glasses of wine each of the 7 nights that would be $194/7/4 = $6.92 per glass. What does the average glass of wine cost? It's got to be more that $6.92.

It would depend on quality of wine,,, more tha, $6.92 using your math.... If you have a wine spritzer on hot days in the afternoon factor that in, maybe a wine with lunch, one with dinner and a beverage with a show at night....sure does lower the cost.....

Yes, this would be worth it for you if you planned to have two glasses of wine each per day. We hardly drink alcohol, except on a cruise, and we we always choose the UBP. You wouldn't believe how refreshing a nice frozen Mango Meltdown is on a hot day:cool: You also get sodas included, so if you like a diet cola (pepsi products) with your lunch you are covered.