Work in progress

barante

Having booked a 15-day SE Asia cruise on the Westerdam in November, 2018, I am now thinking about Da Nang.

Last time I taxied to Hoi An; this time I was thinking of going to Hue. But I am reading Mark Bowden's incredible Hue 1968 now and am thinking that I might skip Hue, which was badly damaged in the Tet offensive and subsequent fighting. The ride on congested roads seems too long to justify this destination.

Instead, why just take a better look at Da Nang (where I was lucky to find a restroom at the hillside temple with the sailors' goddess!) and revisit Hoi An, with a river boat ride (which I did not take last time).

Comments?

I would certainly visit Hue - yes it had the crap bombed out of it during the Tet Offensive some 50 years ago but the restoration of the palace began in the late 1980 and although still has a long way to go, the moats, walls etc a basically intact. There is also the various tombs of the emperors that one can visit as well.

There is a tunnel that has reduced the travel time from Danang to Hue considerably.

If you have done Hoi An - have a look a Hue.