Holiday Inn Express or Crowne Plaza, Seattle Downtown?

Has anyone stayed at either the HI Express or Crowne Plaza, downtown Seattle? We want to be within walking distance of Pike Place and Space Needle from the reviews both of these are. I am using points (IHG) and can get either one, but the HI looks like it is in a business district, can't decide if Crowne Plaza is the same from photos. Also , HI has breakfast and Crowne doesn't, but not a deal breaker. Hints for good eating places near by appreciated also.

Thanks in advance.:)

The Crowne Plaza is a tower in what people typically think of as Downtown Seattle; it's up slope a bit relative to some other properties, but a short walk to the Monorail station to go to the Space Needle, and just a few blocks further will get you to the Market.

The Express is low-rise construction, about 12 years old, in what most people would consider South Lake Union. You are just a few blocks from the Space Needle, and could take the Monorail from there to Westlake and walk to the market.

There's more dining around the Crowne Plaza, and it's closer to more mass transit options (light rail, bus routes). The area right around the HI Express is dead outside M-F business hours and right after work, but there's options within a ten to fifteen minute walk.

If you are a very light sleeper, note that many of the rooms at the HI express are facing a busy highway and you can't get more than like five floors above it. The Crowne Plaza is near a freeway but you don't hear it with higher-floor rooms.

Neither are bad choices, but point redemption being equal, I like the CP a little better for being more central to dining and shopping and transit and likely being a little quieter.

I would echo VibeGuy - the Crowne Plaza is way more conveniently located than the HIE, which is in a very trafficky and pedestrian-unfriendly location. I fear you'd feel quite isolated staying there v. all the downtown action within a block or three of the CP.

Crowne Plaza is great and convenient to walk to several attractions. The road immediately south of the motel is okay to walk to the water front but very steep coming back. If you go even just 2 blocks north, is less steep. If you are flying, we found the train from SeaTac to downtown was easy and cost friendly and we only had a short walk to the CP.

When you go to Space Needle consider getting a combo ticket and take in the Chihuly Glass Exhibit that is adjacent to the Needle. Fabulous pieces there.

Enjoy. We really liked Seattle. Plenty of places at Pike for breakfast!

I've stayed at both multiple times. CP while up hill from the waterfront is a pretty easy 4-5 block walk to the heart of downtown and another 4 or 5 blocks to the market. HIE is ok and close to attractions and things to do. With Amazon headquarters a few blocks away there is a ton of new restaraunts and bars but agree its pretty quiet at night or weekends.

Stayed at HI Express a number of years ago when we flew back to Seattle for son's wedding. It was surprisingly nice and a step up from most HI Expresses we have been to. For cruises they offer to arrange a limo to the cruise piers ($6 or $9?).

Only downside we had with HI Express was lack of food options nearby and getting across SR 99/Aurora Ave. to get to Seattle Center. The entrance to the old tunnel makes a sort of canyon effect right there so takes a coupe extra blocks to get around it.

Has anyone stayed at either the HI Express or Crowne Plaza, downtown Seattle? We want to be within walking distance of Pike Place and Space Needle from the reviews both of these are. I am using points (IHG) and can get either one, but the HI looks like it is in a business district, can't decide if Crowne Plaza is the same from photos. Also , HI has breakfast and Crowne doesn't, but not a deal breaker. Hints for good eating places near by appreciated also.

CP is great! (except that steep hill lol) Close by is restaurant called Purple Wine Bar, it's really great and great atmosphere for dinner! (make a reservation if you can)

• 5 months later...

Sent from my iPad using Forums