Does anyone else lose weight when they cruise?

Fred Quimby

Ha! No, but I don't gain weight either. I still run 5 miles every day when on vacation, and even though I usually get 2 ice cream cones at a time, I spend so much time walking around and swimming in the ocean that I generally don't eat lunch and end up going home the same size as I showed up. I'm pretty active in real life so being active on vacation doesn't add much to my calorie burning, and I have never been an over eater, vacation or not, although I do enjoy the buffet :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On my first 5 cruises I found I gained a minimum of 2lb and a maximum of 5lb. From cruise number 6 I make the effort to loose a maximum of 6lb so that there is no restraint on enjoying my food while on the cruise, so I always go home 1lb lighter (sometimes more) and I am back where I started. This has worked for me so I do the same before the Christmas season begins too.

I tend to lose. Lots more walking and not bored or depressed which is when I gain weight. So I usually come home a couple pounds lighter.

However, I am not a big drinker. Last cruise I had two drinks. This time I have the UBP and plan to taste (probably not finish) a ton of drinks I've never been able to before. Alcohol is hard on weight loss so it will be interesting to see how it will affect my overall weight.

I also like to get up early and walk/jog a few miles on deck. Nice way to start the morning, which I don't tend to do at home, but should.

Sent from my XT1650 using Forums mobile app

Same with us,,,no weight gain....learned early on in cruising, take the steps and no elevators...We are most generally on top floors, so steps are great up and down, to keep those pounds from creeping on ya! I have loose weight most of the time.;)

I stayed same last cruise, but most previous cruises gained a lb a day. Weird. Have lost a good bit of weight IRL recently though so that may have been a factor. So much walking and stairs unless its more than 3 or so. ;)

We have stayed the same or lost about 2-3lbs. (The DH did gain on one cruise - note his brother cruise the two of them lived it up since they sailed home so between family and friends they gained.) I am guessing all of the stairs and very little elevators and the long excursions is the reason we stayed the same. We don't sit, eat, sit on a cruise so that is most likely the reason. At home we do one walk a day 1-2 miles (DH sometimes 3) and then speaking for myself I get in my reading chair and stick a fork in me I am done. My doctor is in wonder as for the last three years I weighed the exact same amount when I come in for my physical. Perhaps after 65 you don't gain weight - unless you are with your brother...lol

I am sure some add...lots. We are alarmed over how much some people pile food on their plate. Who needs a dozen pieces of bacon, and a pile of sausage and multiple pancakes...etc?

Since you mentioned bacon - let me tell you about one breakfast I had. DH and I had gone to the MDR for breakfast. All I wanted was cream of wheat and bacon. I figured I would get a couple of slices with the cream of wheat. Well the cream of wheat comes out an no bacon. So I eat it and don't worry about the bacon, as I really don't need it. When I finish the cereal, the waiter brings a full plate of bacon. I suppose the cereal was like an appetizer and the bacon the meal. :(

Next day I asked for 2 slices with the cream of wheat (still got about 6 slices)

DH and I take the stairs the majority of the time and walk a lot more than normal. I gain a couple of pounds.