Wine for sail away

Logger1

If I preorder a wine from NCL, will it be in cabin waiting for us when we board?

While it should be in your cabin, NCL will tell you that they "technically" have until 9 pm on day of departure to make embarkation deliveries. Best to bring your own. One Bottle. $15.00

So, we will have the UBP on our upcoming Alaska Cruise. I have been told for other cruises, that the UBP does not apply until the ship is in international waters. Something about taxes? However, we have paid the gratuities, etc. on the package. Will we be able to order drinks on embarkation day without charge?

So, we will have the UBP on our upcoming Alaska Cruise. I have been told for other cruises, that the UBP does not apply until the ship is in international waters. Something about taxes? However, we have paid the gratuities, etc. on the package. Will we be able to order drinks on embarkation day without charge?

While you are in certain ports you will be charged tax on the cost of the drink but you won't have to actually pay for the drink itself as long as it's under the $15 limit. I know when we sail out of Miami we are charged tax on our drinks just like we would be in a bar on land. I'm pretty sure it's after you cross into international waters that you don't pay it any more.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The UBP is effective as soon as you step on the ship.

Occasionally there are small taxes charged while the ship is in port. Having sailed out of Seattle many times with the UBP, I do not recall being charged any taxes while in port on the whole trip. I could be wrong though. In any case, it's minimal... 50, maybe 60 cents or so. Not enough to lose sleep over.

If I preorder a wine from NCL, will it be in cabin waiting for us when we board?

It was for us- 2 bottles of bubbly! I ordered them online on the NCL site ahead of time and specified the day. We also had wine delivered on other days as well. Nice!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

"Sailaway" rate means no (free) UBP.

The options are :

- Preorder or buy as you go starting approximately $30 / bottle. Plus 18% gratuity.

- Buy on shore and pay $15 corkage fee. Looks attractive if you leave from a port with decent wine store. But in Seward the wines are really overpriced.

- Viva vino package. They offer 4 bottles for $88 +18% or 6 x $132 +18%. The list varies. There is another more expensive package.

Ok, so a secret. We were in the Haven on BA out of NY and carried on 1 bottle of fine wine each, expecting to pay the corkage fee, but it never happened! No one ever charged us. Just saying...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums