Sun viewing area

vegasbaby19

There is a bar at the front with a good forward view if the weather is bad. You can then go outside to see anything up close.

The forward sun deck is also good as you get a 360 view and can easily move from one side to the other.

So what are the best public places to view nature from the cruise ship if you're not fortunate enough to have a balcony booked for your upcoming Alaska cruise on the sun?

Thanks

The Sun has a large front lounge. You can also go aft for an area outside that is partially covered and serves food during the day.

The Sun has a large front lounge. You can also go aft for an area outside that is partially covered and serves food during the day.

If my memory is correct, Sun is the ship that has the outside walkway around the forward lounge too. I think there is a little doorway to get out there.:cool:

If my memory is correct, Sun is the ship that has the outside walkway around the forward lounge too. I think there is a little doorway to get out there.:cool:

Yep forward deck in front of the lounge, one of my favorite areas on the ship couple years ago when we did the Western Caribbean from Tampa. Has to be a go to for Alaska! We spent a lot of down time in the lounge, quiet area and at the time a great bar!

Refer to this LINK for a point of view looking head on to the NCL Sun bow:

http://www.beyondships.com/NCLSun.html

From the bow - the first two decks (8 & 9) are cabins.

Then the Bridge deck 10

Followed by more cabins on deck 11

Above that is the Observation Lounge deck 12 (with 3 high glass panel windows {not Microsoft})

Lastly is an open deck 13 which is shielded from buffeting winds and rain by slanted glass panel louvers at about chest high.

While navigating the glacier areas and transit thru the Panama Canal the bow area used for crew recreation

is usually open for additional viewing.

When you first get on the NCL Sun or any ship browse and nose around to see what is available for photo opts.

The Sun is not that large a ship - an hour should be all you need to get orientated.

Familiarize yourself with how to get to that point for that whale watching - glacier calving - sundown at sea photo memory.

You can take shelter almost anywhere waiting for that moment gathering at a place like the Buffet with windows

or other viewing point to seize the moment and click that camera shutter or record button.

Thank you all so much! We sail on Monday I can't wait!!

Hi vegasbaby19

I assume you're on the Sun July 3 from Vancouver. Have you checked out the meet and greet thread for this cruise? There are about 40 people attending on Tuesday.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Just got off it. The best view was probably on the observation deck since it is the highest up and you could easily get to each side quickly however, it is the most crowded at times. The overall best for access of going all over is actually outside the buffet on the 11th level. If you don't care about being able to walk at all sides asap, the most comfortable IMO was at the sport's bar near the buffet as well as on the 6th level where the jogging trail is. Actually the most comfortable was my room (no balcony but ocean-view obstructed by people) because I could view everything and be sitting in my underwear :)

In all honesty, I wanted a balcony especially for the glacier viewing but unless it isn't that much more, I would just take a basic oceanview room. I made friends with people with a balcony who let me go use it a couple of times. It was FREEZING every time I went there. I dunno, I kind of figured I would use a balcony for a long time like for breakfast and to read but it was so cold that I knew I wouldn't use it.