Parking at JFK

khewston

What about Uber or a car service?

Anyway, here's the link to the JFK parking lots and pricing:

http://www.panynj.gov/airports/airport-parking-jfk.cfm

Thanks slidergirl! I have looked at the parking before but we are not sure how safe it is, so I wanted opinions from other people. We are coming from Connecticut and are about 2 and 1/2 hours away. Normally would would fly out of Bradley but the rates are very high right now. Also, we'd probably have to stay an extra night in Fort lauderdale because of flight scheduling.

Thanks slidergirl! I have looked at the parking before but we are not sure how safe it is, so I wanted opinions from other people. We are coming from Connecticut and are about 2 and 1/2 hours away. Normally would would fly out of Bradley but the rates are very high right now. Also, we'd probably have to stay an extra night in Fort lauderdale because of flight scheduling.

Is a train an option? I know the NE Corridor is well-served. You could train it into NYC and then do a car from there... Just thinking of options.

Not sure where in CT u r traveling from but we take metro north train to Grand Central. There is a port authority JFK bus practically right out the door. It leaves about every 30-45 minutes. Also we have taken a bus into the city to the Port Authority and pick up the shuttle there. Of course u have to manage your luggage but not a problem for us. We travel from MA and CT. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Is a train an option? I know the NE Corridor is well-served. You could train it into NYC and then do a car from there... Just thinking of options.[/QU

Thanks slidergirl but we are thinking of renting a car for the drive to JFK.

Ah. OK. Here's another thing (which I'm sure you have already done, but...):

Have you priced out the difference between doing two one-way rentals vs the round-trip rental with parking fees?

Ah. OK. Here's another thing (which I'm sure you have already done, but...):

Have you priced out the difference between doing two one-way rentals vs the round-trip rental with parking fees?

Yes, we would have rent a car one way and would not have to pay parking. Now, we are thinking of just driving and hope the long term parking is safe. Thank you for all your help!

We have parked numerous times at the long term lot without any problems. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. The free train to the terminals is convenient.

I can't guarantee you won't have a problem; just that we never have had any concerns.

Forgot to mention you can also get parking for your trip at the local hotels with an overnight stay. We stayed once at the Hilton Garden Inn the night before an early departure (we live about 2-3 hours from JFK), left the car, and took the hotel shuttle to the airport (and a quick, cheap cab ride back upon return, because we didn't want to wait for the shuttle). The parking was in the same ballpark as the long-term lot; I actually don't remember which is normally cheaper because we got a discount for having Hilton status.

Forgot to mention you can also get parking for your trip at the local hotels with an overnight stay. We stayed once at the Hilton Garden Inn the night before an early departure (we live about 2-3 hours from JFK), left the car, and took the hotel shuttle to the airport (and a quick, cheap cab ride back upon return, because we didn't want to wait for the shuttle). The parking was in the same ballpark as the long-term lot; I actually don't remember which is normally cheaper because we got a discount for having Hilton status.

We also live that far from JFK and I suggested to my husband that we get a hotel near the airport the night before a flight but he said he would never stay at a hotel in that area. I would be fine with it, it makes a lot more sense to stay over the night before and reduce the stress from the drive the day of.

My husband has no problem driving from Connecticut to Fort Lauderdale but I think that's just such a long drive.

We also live that far from JFK and I suggested to my husband that we get a hotel near the airport the night before a flight but he said he would never stay at a hotel in that area. I would be fine with it, it makes a lot more sense to stay over the night before and reduce the stress from the drive the day of.

My husband has no problem driving from Connecticut to Fort Lauderdale but I think that's just such a long drive.

I agree with hubby not to stay at the Jamaica,NY properties. But there is a very nice Holiday Inn Express in Rockville Centre,NY which is about 15 minutes East of the airport.

Huh. I'm a bit of a hotel snob these days, and I found the HGI tolerable. What's the complaint?

The problem with the Jamaica properties is that NYC uses them as temporary housing for families. There might be many children crying and running through the halls, plus folks visiting the families loitering about the property. Not conducive to a good nights sleep.

The problem with the Jamaica properties is that NYC uses them as temporary housing for families. There might be many children crying and running through the halls, plus folks visiting the families loitering about the property. Not conducive to a good nights sleep.

Frankly, the worst experiences I've had have been in upscale hotels full of teenagers on school trips from nice districts.

Unless you've got a really early flight then you can always stay a little further away from JFK.

This is a reasonable place and around 25mins from JFK and has some decent restaurants you can walk to.

http://www.gardencityhotel.com/our-hotel

This is down on the new/replaced boardwalk at Long Beach, around 20mins from JFK. (You'll need cash for the toll on 878) Newer, modern and swankier. Some of the airlines put crew up here.

http://www.allegriahotel.com/rooms-en.html

Frankly, the worst experiences I've had have been in upscale hotels full of teenagers on school trips from nice districts.

Emergency Housing is what it is. If you are comfortable paying full rate staying in a homeless shelter with the issues, no fault of the residents that come with it, that's great. Others don't feel the same way. I wouldn't want to stay in a hotel with rowdy teenagers either. I would want to be informed so I could choose someplace else.

Emergency Housing is what it is. If you are comfortable paying full rate staying in a homeless shelter with the issues, no fault of the residents that come with it, that's great. Others don't feel the same way. I wouldn't want to stay in a hotel with rowdy teenagers either. I would want to be informed so I could choose someplace else.

Well, I did stay at the HGI near JFK; it didn't seem to be a homeless shelter; the staff was friendly; our stay had no problems; the car was in a gated lot; everything worked out fine.

Your mileage obviously varies....but may I ask if you have actually stayed there?

Well, I did stay at the HGI near JFK; it didn't seem to be a homeless shelter; the staff was friendly; our stay had no problems; the car was in a gated lot; everything worked out fine.

Your mileage obviously varies....but may I ask if you have actually stayed there?

It is a known fact that all of the hotel properties surrounding JFK are used as emergency housing for NYC families. My husband has many dealings with these properties with his job. I'm glad you had good luck. Just want others to be aware.

• 3 weeks later...
We really don't want to fly out of JFK but it may be the best option for us because of Flight schedules and airfare rates. We are concerned about parking. Is the parking at the long term lot safe?

I have parked at the long term parking at JFK for YEARS and never, ever had a problem (other than a very crowded lot). The air train is right there and it is an easy transfer. Currently, it is $18 per day.