has anyone cruised in february out of new york.

johnnycruise67

Can everyone who has sailed out of NY in late Feb/early March give me an idea of the temperatures at the times of day, the dress code you were comfortable in, and your tolerance for cold?

I am horribly intolerant of the cold, and my last cruise out of FLL in March I wished I had packed more warm clothes for morning, night, indoor air conditioned spaces, windy days, etc...

On sailaway and Day 1 morning I expect to be bundled up, but how does the weather change throughout day 1, 2, 3?

How does it change throughout the day on day 6 and 7?

Any help is much appreciated.

We've done an eastbound ta in mid/late December on several occasions and enjoyed the experience. Obviously the temperatures are never going to be great, heading home to the UK winter from a New York winter is not ideal if you want sun :D However, so long as it is dry and you can get outside, a brisk walk round the deck is wonderful.

This year (or to be more exact, next year!) we will be sailing back to the UK in early January. Not sure if the two or three weeks later than we are used to will make much of a difference, but it sure beats flying!!!

Can everyone who has sailed out of NY in late Feb/early March give me an idea of the temperatures at the times of day, the dress code you were comfortable in, and your tolerance for cold?

I am horribly intolerant of the cold, and my last cruise out of FLL in March I wished I had packed more warm clothes for morning, night, indoor air conditioned spaces, windy days, etc...

On sailaway and Day 1 morning I expect to be bundled up, but how does the weather change throughout day 1, 2, 3?

What exact ship and dates are you considering?

What exact ship and dates are you considering?

I have already booked Anthem for Feb 26th, but wanted to know just how many warm clothes vs cool clothes to pack, more formal warm dresses, etc. I know I will be cold, just trying to narrow in on how long I will be cold for.

I have already booked Anthem for Feb 26th, but wanted to know just how many warm clothes vs cool clothes to pack, more formal warm dresses, etc. I know I will be cold, just trying to narrow in on how long I will be cold for.

That cruise does not go far south to guarantee warm weather - Port Canaveral, Cocoa Cay, and Nassau. I would pack layers to accommodate a range of temperatures for a week. A pashmina scarf might work for your formal wear.

The nice part about the Anthem there is a lot of inside space. The roof will probably be closed on the one pool and the Solarium is beautiful. If it's cold out you will be nice and warm in there.

Hopefully you will get a nice sunny week and your ports will be warm.

We sailed the Carnival Splendor, out of NY a couple of years ago DURING a blizzard.

We live on Long Island and our son was to drive us in, but they predicted 20 some inches of snow that AM. We did the smart thing, went into Manhattan the night before, booked a hotel near the pier and just hailed a cab early in the AM. There was some 300 people who missed the ship as the airports were closed and weren't able to board until we hit Cape Canaveral. The snow was so deep on the decks that no one was allowed outside until the second sea day. The crew didn't know what to do with all that snow and ice. Glad though we were sailing to the Caribbean while every one else was shoveling out.

As for clothes, the average temp in Feb is probably above freezing, but the sands while sailing are cold. We left our winter coats at home, opted for a few layers for the first couple of days and by the 3rd day out, it was tees and shorts until we returned to cooler weather on our trip back.

Cheers

Len

I have sailed to the Caribbean from New York in January and February several times - it can be bitterly cold at sailaway, with ice floes in the Hudson. However, by early afternoon of the first sea day - under 24 hours - you will be in the Gulf Stream perhaps 200 miles east of the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay, in 60 + degree weather. It may be a bit cooler the next day as you will have crossed the Gulf Stream, which is closer to the US coast as you get further south, but while it may be cool, you will not be cold - a light jacket or sweater on deck will be enough.

If you are just going to the Bahamas could be in the 50's your whole time there. Coming back north, you can figure your last sea day will be cold.