Ship Swap: Costa Europa to Head to Thomson Cruises

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Cruise Critic News & Feature Articles
Up-to-the minute News & Feature Articles from Cruise Critic
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 12:33 PM.
3,985 Posts
Joined Jun 2005
Thit is what I don't quite understand...the CCL vessel charter to the RCI/TUI group company. Europa is fully traditional, she is not casual...whereas Norwegian Dream IS casual/Freestyle and would have been an ideal candidate as an OV replacement type choice.

Something very strange with this arrangement...especially as Costa have been touting itineraries aboard Europa right up until November 2010 and they are still on their sites worldwide.

The only other time I have seen this corporate backscratch is with P&O Australia (CCL company) selling Pacific Star & Sky to Pullmantur (RCCI company). One of those ships has now gone into lay-up due to being unreliable and costly to run being the last steam turbine liner in service.

Something about the deal just feels odd. That is why I keep thinking the original plan was to have Norwegian Dream - she is ownerless and laid up in Piraeus after Louis refused to complete the purchase on her last year. Louis were meant to take on Norwegian Dream and Majesty but only completed Majesty. The new name for Europa - Thomson Dream - really does make it sound like Norwegian Dream was the original choice of ship for Thomson.
Dorset, UK
8,763 Posts
Joined Feb 2008
Hi, it's not going to be casual, like the OV (Thomson already run the Island Escape which is a more casual product) it's going to have waiter dining plus buffet options - although like the Spirit and Celebration in the Thomson fleet it won't have fixed dining times. I believe it will also have a couple of months in the season which are 'adult only' so it doesn't seem that Thomson are trying to garner the OV niche at all.