New: pre-pay your Onboard Service Charges

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 10:30 PM.
#1
Tampa Bay Area FL.
10,754 Posts
Joined Jul 2008
NCL now offers you the ability to pre-pay your Onboard Service Charges of $12 per person per day for guests over the age of 3. Please contact your travel professional to add to your reservation. See our brochure or http://www.ncl.com for details.

I think a number of folks were looking for this option. I was checking my edocs today and noticed the above added since I printed mine.
#2
Wisconsin
6,138 Posts
Joined Aug 2008
That's a very nice addition! I would have liked to have done that for our recent cruise, savin some of the shock of the on-board accounting on the last day..
#3
187 Posts
Joined Jun 2009
Originally posted by time2cruise1
NCL now offers you the ability to pre-pay your Onboard Service Charges of $12 per person per day for guests over the age of 3. Please contact your travel professional to add to your reservation. See our brochure or http://www.ncl.com for details.

I think a number of folks were looking for this option. I was checking my edocs today and noticed the above added since I printed mine.

I like to give the cruise lines, airlines and tracel companies as little as possible in these turbulent times.JMO
#4
16,761 Posts
Joined Jul 2007
I will not give the cruise line (or anyone else, for that matter) use of my money by paying for anything in advance that is not required.

I'd rather be earning interest on the money.
#5
Flagler Beach, Florida
6,866 Posts
Joined May 2006
Originally posted by njhorseman
I will not give the cruise line (or anyone else, for that matter) use of my money by paying for anything in advance that is not required.

I'd rather be earning interest on the money.



I agree as we use a credit card to pay our onboard expenses and that way we have some extra time after we return home to pay our card off (we never carry a balance.) However, some folks need to budget every single dollar and prefer to have everything already paid for in advance so I do see that there is a need for this extra service. This would also be helpful for people without credit cards who usually pay their onboard expenses in cash or with a debit card.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
#6
Wisconsin
6,138 Posts
Joined Aug 2008
I pay with a credit card, and actually do have plenty of assets. I still like to pre-pay as much as possible, and find it helps with resource management (otherwise known as budgeting). It doesn't have you have to pre-pay WAY in advance
#7
New York, NY, USA
11,228 Posts
Joined Jul 2000
I'm sure some people will like this, but I'm with the people who don't like to part with my money any sooner than I have to. No pre-paying for me.
#8
Nova Scotia/Ontario, Canada
621 Posts
Joined Oct 2006
For us Canadians this could be a great thing - right now our dollar is high against the US dollar and I am considering paying the service charges with final payment due soon for my November cruise. No telling what our dollar will be like in November.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

NCL Breakaway, Eastern Caribbean, Jan 2017, 13 days - Platinum
HAL Oosterdam, Greek Isles, June 2016, 12 days
NCL Epic, Western Mediterranean, Southampton to Barcelona, Oct/Nov 2015, 13 days
Quantum of the Seas, Southern Caribbean, April 2015, 12 days
NCL Breakaway, Florida/Bahamas, Christmas cruise, Dec 2014, 7 days
Carnival Freedom, S. Caribbean Sept 2014, 7 days B2B with
Carnival Conquest, W. Caribbean Sept 2014, 7 days

Carnival Legend, Western Mediterranean, Venice to Barcelona, May/June 2013, 12 days
Mariner of the Seas, Transatlantic, Miami to Rome B2B with Eastern Mediterranean, May 2012, 27 days
NCL Sky, Bahamas, April 2012, 4 days
NCL Dawn, Bermuda, Sept/Oct 2011, 7 days
Carnival Victory, S. Caribbean, May 2010, 7 days.
NCL Jade, Eastern/Western Mediterranean, Istanbul to Barcelona, Nov 2009, 12 days
NCL Jade, Western Mediterranean, Southampton to Barcelona, Aug/Sept 2008, 13 days
Carnival Victory, E. Caribbean, Jan 2007, 7 days
Celebrity Horizon, Bermuda, Aug/Sept 2005, 7 days
167 days at Sea and counting...
#9
16,761 Posts
Joined Jul 2007
Originally posted by lambs2
I agree as we use a credit card to pay our onboard expenses and that way we have some extra time after we return home to pay our card off (we never carry a balance.) However, some folks need to budget every single dollar and prefer to have everything already paid for in advance so I do see that there is a need for this extra service. This would also be helpful for people without credit cards who usually pay their onboard expenses in cash or with a debit card.
Originally posted by uppitycats
I pay with a credit card, and actually do have plenty of assets. I still like to pre-pay as much as possible, and find it helps with resource management (otherwise known as budgeting). It doesn't have you have to pre-pay WAY in advance
If you have the money now, instead of forking it over to the cruise line in advance, set it aside in a separate interest-bearing account. All it requires is a bit of discipline to not spend it before your cruise.
#10
New Hampshire
1,221 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
Originally posted by njhorseman
If you have the money now, instead of forking it over to the cruise line in advance, set it aside in a separate interest-bearing account. All it requires is a bit of discipline to not spend it before your cruise.
7 day cruise for two people equals $168.00 x 1% interest for 12 months will give you $1.68.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
2004 NCL Sky 7 Day Caribbean
2005 NCL Star 7 Day Alaska
2006 NCL Jewel 7 Day Caribbean
2007 NCL Star 8 Day Mexico
2008 NCL Aloha 10 Day Hawaii
2009 NCL Sun 14 Day South America
2010 NCL Star 14 Day Panama Canal
2011 NCL Jade 21 Day Mediterranean
2012 NCL Jade 21 Day Mediterranean

***********NCL PLATINUM LATITUDES**********

*****BOSTON CELTIC SEASON TICKET HOLDER****
#11
1,954 Posts
Joined Oct 2004
Originally posted by uppitycats
I pay with a credit card, and actually do have plenty of assets. I still like to pre-pay as much as possible, and find it helps with resource management (otherwise known as budgeting). It doesn't have you have to pre-pay WAY in advance
Fail to see how giving your money away before you need to is "resource management". If you are budgeting, you know that at the end of the cruise, certain funds will be due, and you have them. Meanwhile the money is yours.

This subject continues to come up and I don't think anybody has ever changed their mind as a result of these discussions.
#12
Miami Beach, Florida
2,214 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
Originally posted by d man
7 day cruise for two people equals $168.00 x 1% interest for 12 months will give you $1.68.
And for 90 days would yield 42 cents. After taxes, perhaps 25 cents.
#13
16,761 Posts
Joined Jul 2007
Originally posted by d man
7 day cruise for two people equals $168.00 x 1% interest for 12 months will give you $1.68.
Originally posted by FLAHAM
And for 90 days would yield 42 cents. After taxes, perhaps 25 cents.

I knew I'd see responses like this.

It's not about making 10 cents or 10 dollars on the amount of money for a cruise line's Daily Service Charge. It's about managing your money to maximize its value to you over your lifetime. I'll be happy to take that $1.68 or 42 cents off your hands if it's unimportant to you.

Tell me, do you think there's a chance that NCL corporate realized that not only might some passengers want to do this, but that NCL might make some money out of the deal? You have one guess...
#14
Washington State Ellensburger
14,289 Posts
Joined Jul 2001
Originally posted by d man
7 day cruise for two people equals $168.00 x 1% interest for 12 months will give you $1.68.
I figured it was something like that, but I'm not sure I'm presently getting that high a percentage on savings. (SADDDD)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
When there's a leak in the bottom of a cruise ship, it's one hull of a problem
#15
Tampa Bay Area FL.
10,754 Posts
Joined Jul 2008
Originally posted by njhorseman
I knew I'd see responses like this.


Tell me, do you think there's a chance that NCL corporate realized that not only might some passengers want to do this, but that NCL might make some money out of the deal? You have one guess...
They will not get my money early but I have to believe it is 100% about passengers wanting to do this. They are not going to make any money if you figure the cost to post the credits to each ship every week.

The crew might make a little when those that can't budget and thus want to pre pay are not pulling there tips to make up for over spending onboard.
#16
16,761 Posts
Joined Jul 2007
Originally posted by time2cruise1
They will not get my money early but I have to believe it is 100% about passengers wanting to do this. They are not going to make any money if you figure the cost to post the credits to each ship every week.

The crew might make a little when those that can't budget and thus want to pre pay are not pulling there tips to make up for over spending onboard.

Large corporations are usually chock full of people whose work expands to fill the time available to do it. The cost of posting this to your account will essentially be zero. I guarantee that NCL will not have to hire one additional person nor pay a penny in overtime to implement this program.
#17
4,173 Posts
Joined Nov 2006
Originally posted by njhorseman
I knew I'd see responses like this.

It's not about making 10 cents or 10 dollars on the amount of money for a cruise line's Daily Service Charge. It's about managing your money to maximize its value to you over your lifetime. I'll be happy to take that $1.68 or 42 cents off your hands if it's unimportant to you.

Tell me, do you think there's a chance that NCL corporate realized that not only might some passengers want to do this, but that NCL might make some money out of the deal? You have one guess...
I have to say I'm with you on this one - it's been one of the reasons I've always been happy about the DSC being added to my OBC rather than included in my fare. If I had a choice between buying a pencil for $.08 or $.50, I'd take the former, and saving is saving.

That being said, depending on how quickly one can pay off a credit card balance, I can see where it would be more prudent to pay portions in advance - say one DSC at a time. We are among those that pay off our credit cards every month, but for many this is not always possible, and I know we're earning a LOT less interest on our savings right now than we would pay on a credit card balance. As a Canadian, Cardex makes a very good point as well, and I'm definitely also watching the exchange rates in relation to my final payment; I think I'll be considering this option as well now.

For those who have consistently stated that they would prefer it to be included ahead of time in their fare, also, now they can be happy - well... happiER, anyway...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
**********
Canadian Twosome
***(and our Canadian Girl)***
No such thing as a bad cruise!
#18
4,173 Posts
Joined Nov 2006
Originally posted by time2cruise1
They will not get my money early but I have to believe it is 100% about passengers wanting to do this. They are not going to make any money if you figure the cost to post the credits to each ship every week.

The crew might make a little when those that can't budget and thus want to pre pay are not pulling there tips to make up for over spending onboard.
I do not believe NCL will be paying any more for implementing this service than they do now charging it while on board. Credit card companies charge a percentage based on dollar amounts, so it makes no difference when the charges are billed. As for 'transferring the credits', there is no actual money changing hands, simply the transfer of information. At the beginning of every cruise the computer is updated with information concerning all the OBCs; some start at 0 and some have credits; it's all just data transfer though.

Any company that collects money in advance makes money as a result. The sooner they get the money, the sooner it starts earning interest for them and being available for use in other ways. While someone noted that we might only earn 42 cents on one person's DSC for a week, think how many individuals will be prepaying and how much interest all of that money might earn - or how much interest might be saved by not having to finance something else. I am a firm believer in NCL making decisions (as all companies do) that they believe will benefit their customers - but I also know that for each of those decisions they have considered how it will impact them financially and if it doesn't look good, they are unlikely to go ahead with it. This will absolutely be good for them financially, as well as making many customers happy. In my opinion, it was a really good move.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
**********
Canadian Twosome
***(and our Canadian Girl)***
No such thing as a bad cruise!
#19
Washington State Ellensburger
14,289 Posts
Joined Jul 2001
Will I pay it in advance? NEVER

But if someone else wants to for any reason (including $ management) they know more about their finances than I do, so good for them!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
When there's a leak in the bottom of a cruise ship, it's one hull of a problem
#20
989 Posts
Joined Jun 2006
I think it's a great idea. For my Carnival cruise out of Baltimore next year, I added the tips and I'm going to email my travel agent and have them add the tip on to my POA cruise in 2011. I like having as much paid for as possible before going.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Michael

Carnival Dream, Nassau, St. Thomas,
St. Maartens, 7/2/11
Carnival Pride, Grand Turk, HMC, Freeport, 6/20/10
RCCL Grandeur Of The Seas, Bermuda, 7/8/07
Carnival Paradise, Western Caribbean, 7/01
Carnival Fantasy, Bahamas, May 95
USS Alabama Gold Crew, 1992
USS Ulysses S. Grant Blue Crew, 1990-92
Chandris Galileo, 2 Nt Cruise To No Where, 5/89