Best time to visit Norwegian Fjords?

jtsbusiness

We are wanting to see the Norwegian Fjords and wondered when is the best time to go. Also with any recommendations as to the tour and cruise line.

We would preferably like to go directly from the UK without any flying.

Can anybody help with this and make recommendations please :)

My parents are doing this itinerary this summer. The best time to go, apparently, is late June through early August.

Here is a good option for a shorter cruise (8 days) that departs from Dover on Holland America:

http://www.hollandamerica.com/find-cruise-vacation/CruiseDetails.action?webItineraryIdForAudit=EN0008&durationCode=&noOfFlexibleMonths=1&portCode=&shipCodeSearch=&flexibleMonths=true&pageNumber=1&voyageCode=D034&destCode=EN&dateCode=7_2010

Holland America has some other good itineraries (some longer) for Northern Europe also, if this one doesn't fit the bill. Another line to look at is Princess, which offers some cruises of the fjords in that time frame.

We went mid June when the ice is melting off the mountains ...all the beautiful waterfalls.

This year we are going in July/August so will see what the difference is.

some ships leave from Dover that may be better for you if you do not want to fly

Hi English Teacher: We are thinking of doing the Fjords/northern europe. Have looked at Princess and Celebrity for this summer. Prefer to book tours on our own. Besides the beauty of the castles, buildings, would you recommend any tours especially that deal more with actual scenery/ waterfalls/ oldworld views? Any suggestions, etc. would be appreciated. thanks, elaine

We are wanting to see the Norwegian Fjords and wondered when is the best time to go. Also with any recommendations as to the tour and cruise line.

We would preferably like to go directly from the UK without any flying.

Can anybody help with this and make recommendations please :)

Given where you are Southampton is the easiest to get to - down the M1 and across on the A43/A34 avoiding the M1. I can give you a local car firm who would do the job superbly for £250 in a S class Mercedes - or you could drive.

I'd recommend Cunard. I've been with them twice. There is a good QM2 trip on the 14th June which goes to Geiranger as well as to the North Cape and Stavanger (all lovely places to see - remembering North Norway is a very different place) as well as Tromso (lovely setting), Bergen (okay) and Olden (not been). I'd love to do that one myself, but I'm saving for the new Queen Elizabeth.

I'm sure that there are plenty of other lines that will get you to the ports as well.

Also look at the Hurtigruten - a very different experience and you can get to Bergen to start the trip by ferry.

I'd be hard pressed to say which was the better way to see Norway of my two options. I've done both though!:)

P&O do quite a few trips of either one or two weeks, we went in May on Artemis a smaller ship, we loved it & had fantastic weather, we were lucky though. It doesn't seem to matter when you go but bank on it being cold & wet & hope for the best!

If you go early or late season you might miss some of the scenery as the ports of call can be deep in the mountains and it might be dark for part of the journey. I went in September a couple of years ago and a lot of the waterfalls were a dissapointment because they had a dry summer that year.

Actually May was perfect, great weather & it had snowed recently, so parts were snow covered & also melting so the waterfalls were spectacular. You could go this year & it could be awful. Also it didn't get really dark at night, super sunsets but at about 10-30pm.

Hi.

This is a reply from a norwegian. have lived a number of places along our beutiful coast.

I think I would recommend sailing with the Norwegian "Hurtigruta" see http://www.hurtigruten.com

The Hurtigruta are actually a number of ships serving the coastline between Bergen and the town Kirkenes near to the russian border in North West. The total trip Bergen-Kirkenes-Bergen last for 11 or 12 nights visiting one or more harbour every day. The tours will often start in one harbour and reboarding at the next.

By taking the full tour you will experience the coastline both at day and night.

Then, the big decission: When.

If you want to experience the midnight sun you should sail in june or july. Remeber midsummer is the 23.june. This is when then sun us on the highest. The weather is normally more pleasant in may-june than later in the summer.

Hope you have a nice taste of norway.

Alfred

Archived