Verizon's "International Data Plan" is no more

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

#1
Harmony, NJ
193 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
There were some earlier posts about using Verizon's pro-rated "international data plan" for those who have a smart phone.

I called Verizon today to setup the plan for our Feb 12 - 19 Southern Caribbean cruise; however, the Verizon representative said the plan no longer exists as of January 17th, 2011.

So, smart phone users are now at the mercy of the RCL's data plan and the Int'l price for phone calls.
#2
Harmony, NJ
193 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
I just got off the phone with Verizon and here's their recommendation for Verizon smart phone users. Shut off all data flow leaving just the cell phone and text messaging by:


Go to Settings
Tap Wireless and Network settings to Uncheck (remove the green tic mark) for Wi-Fi. Note, don't do this until you're on the ship. This will shut off everything except for Cell Phone calls and Text Messages.


Another note, the ship's cell tower has a range of 1 to 2 miles but some countries will require the ship shut off their cell tower once in port, forcing calls through the country's cell system.


Phone calls will be ~ 2.49 / minute on RCL and text msgs will be .55 to send and .05 to receive.
#3
Asheville, NC
3,673 Posts
Joined Oct 2001
Originally posted by gfd_2
I just got off the phone with Verizon and here's their recommendation for Verizon smart phone users. Shut off all data flow leaving just the cell phone and text messaging by:


Go to Settings
Tap Wireless and Network settings to Uncheck (remove the green tic mark) for Wi-Fi. Note, don't do this until you're on the ship. This will shut off everything except for Cell Phone calls and Text Messages.


Another note, the ship's cell tower has a range of 1 to 2 miles but some countries will require the ship shut off their cell tower once in port, forcing calls through the country's cell system.


Phone calls will be ~ 2.49 / minute on RCL and text msgs will be .55 to send and .05 to receive.
Actually, never have seen the ship's cell tower active at ANY port, anywhere in the world. We generally are able to access the local cell towers long before docking.
#4
6,249 Posts
Joined Jul 2007
Originally posted by ECCruise
Actually, never have seen the ship's cell tower active at ANY port, anywhere in the world. We generally are able to access the local cell towers long before docking.
Right! The cell towers on the ship should trip off automatically when the ship is within range of land-based cell towers.
#5
757 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
Or, you could view a cruise as one of the last opportunities in this world to "unplug". Turn off the cell phone and put it in your suitcase. Stand on your balcony and watch as they cast off the lines, and the ship eases away from the port.

It's one of the only times we have left that we can go "off grid". Sorry, I'm unavailable!

Can't really handle it? Fine (neither can I!). So, when you get the chance, pop into the internet cafe and check in. At less than $1 a minute, you'll spend less in ten minutes than you will in 90 seconds at the blackjack table in the casino.

Seriously.... close your eyes.... take a deep breath..... put down the cell phone and step away....
#6
Seattle, WA
11,041 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
Originally posted by gfd_2
There were some earlier posts about using Verizon's pro-rated "international data plan" for those who have a smart phone.

I called Verizon today to setup the plan for our Feb 12 - 19 Southern Caribbean cruise; however, the Verizon representative said the plan no longer exists as of January 17th, 2011.

So, smart phone users are now at the mercy of the RCL's data plan and the Int'l price for phone calls.
They still give an option to pair a Gobal data plan with your domestic data plan. It shows $30 a month for 25MB for Caribbean or Europe and I bet they would pro-rate the $30. They did with the old international plan.
http://b2b.vzw.com/international/Glo..._coverage.html

Bill
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Bill

PLUS
Photo Reviews of cruises: Radiance (Hawaii)-5/17 Rhapsody (Caribbean) - 1/17 Radiance (Alaska) - 8/16
Radiance (Hawaii) - 04/16 Jewel (B2B West Coast) - Sept 26 - Oct 10, 2015 Jewel (West Coast) - 05/15

Oasis (birthday cruise)- 01/15 Rhapsody (Hawaii)-09/14 Legend (Panama Canal) - 11/13 Allure 05/13
Jewel 03/13 - 1st Caribbean Radiance 09/12 - Hawaii Splendour 05/12 - E. Mediterranean
Mariner 11/10 - Mexican Riviera Voyager 05/10 - W. Mediterranean (no pictures)
Upcoming-Ovation (Malaysia-Thailand)-April 9, 2018/Ovation (China)-April 14, 2018
Symphony (Caribbean)-January 19, 2019, Radiance (Hawaii)-May 5, 2019
#8
10,533 Posts
Joined Feb 2006
Well, verizon's international data plan failed twice for us on 4 phones...(DH & I both have the Droid X. the kids both have BB's) Well, I take that back, DS's phone (I think b/c he has a card in his?) worked some of the time, but never on board (Explorer). NO service on board at all, until we got closer to lets say Barbados.....

We shut off our text messages but were more than happy to pay the associated & pro rated fee's for the global data...Nothing. No service at sea.

One of my pet peeves of verizon, or RCi....? I guess even with verizons plan we had to pay for RCi's service in order for our phones to work on board?? Arrgghhh...

GoodMorning
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature



2017 March Anthem
2017 Celebrity Summit
2017 Equinox Southern Caribbean
2018 Eclipse Exotic Southern Caribbean

2019 Celebrity Edge
*Above subject to change and additions!

The Sails that Started it all.......
It started way back, when I was a kid.
My Grandparents often sailed on The Oceanic and to say the Bon Voyage Parties were memorable is an understatement!*
#9
21 Posts
Joined Dec 2009
Originally posted by gfd_2
I just got off the phone with Verizon and here's their recommendation for Verizon smart phone users. Shut off all data flow leaving just the cell phone and text messaging by:


Go to Settings
Tap Wireless and Network settings to Uncheck (remove the green tic mark) for Wi-Fi. Note, don't do this until you're on the ship. This will shut off everything except for Cell Phone calls and Text Messages.


Another note, the ship's cell tower has a range of 1 to 2 miles but some countries will require the ship shut off their cell tower once in port, forcing calls through the country's cell system.


Phone calls will be ~ 2.49 / minute on RCL and text msgs will be .55 to send and .05 to receive.

That can't be right. Unchecking wi-fi only shuts off wi-fi. Wi-fi is what RCI offers for laptop internet connectivity on their ships. You want to shut down your mobile network data.

Looking through my android settings, it appears that you should go to:

Settings -> Wireless & network settings -> Mobile networks, then remove the check mark from "Data enabled".

I just tested it using my weatherbug app, and the app gave a network error, saying "Failed to load data."

Texting and Phone calls still work.
#10
Bettendorf, IA
257 Posts
Joined Oct 2005
Originally posted by CruiseDivaNJ
Well, verizon's international data plan failed twice for us on 4 phones...(DH & I both have the Droid X. the kids both have BB's) Well, I take that back, DS's phone (I think b/c he has a card in his?) worked some of the time, but never on board (Explorer). NO service on board at all, until we got closer to lets say Barbados.....

We shut off our text messages but were more than happy to pay the associated & pro rated fee's for the global data...Nothing. No service at sea.

One of my pet peeves of verizon, or RCi....? I guess even with verizons plan we had to pay for RCi's service in order for our phones to work on board?? Arrgghhh...

GoodMorning
We just got new Droid 2 phones. The Verizon rep indicated that the Droid 2 was a global phone while the other Droid phones were not. That may be the reason your Droid X phones didn't work.
#12
W. Warwick, RI
186 Posts
Joined Dec 2010
A friend on a personal plan called and was unable to add the Global Email option, but then I called regarding my business line and was able to add this option. I had them activate it for me starting 2/25/11 as I will be on the 2/27/11 Explorer cruise so I'll post back with my findings. I guess for now the best thing to do is to call Verizon and see whether or not you can add it for your particular line.

Greg
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Greg & Heather Snow
Harmony of the Seas, 7-Night Eastern Caribbean (March 10, 2018),

Explorer of the Seas, 7-Night Pacific Coastal (September 29, 2017),

Serenade of the Seas, 10-Southern Caribbean (March, 2017), Explorer of the Seas, 12-Southern Caribbean (February, 2011), Mariner of the Seas, 7-Western Caribbean (December, 2006), Radiance of the Seas, 7-Eastern Caribbean (February, 2004)
#13
W. Warwick, RI
186 Posts
Joined Dec 2010
Ok, so I just spoke with someone at Verizon and he seemed to be very knowledgeable about this. As you probably already know, they have discontinued the $64.99 unlimited global data plan for "personal" customers, however most "business" customers are still able to add this plan. I am still able to add/remove this plan to my business phone line for the 2 weeks I will be on my cruise. In fact they have already placed the order for me and it will automatically be added for me on 2/25/11 as I set sail 2/27/11. I just need to call back to remove it and return to my normal $44.99 plan upon my return. If you are interested in using this plan and your phone is part of a business account then I would definitely call Verizon.

Greg
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Greg & Heather Snow
Harmony of the Seas, 7-Night Eastern Caribbean (March 10, 2018),

Explorer of the Seas, 7-Night Pacific Coastal (September 29, 2017),

Serenade of the Seas, 10-Southern Caribbean (March, 2017), Explorer of the Seas, 12-Southern Caribbean (February, 2011), Mariner of the Seas, 7-Western Caribbean (December, 2006), Radiance of the Seas, 7-Eastern Caribbean (February, 2004)
#14
Syracuse, NY
25 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
Originally posted by snowgreg
Ok, so I just spoke with someone at Verizon and he seemed to be very knowledgeable about this. As you probably already know, they have discontinued the $64.99 unlimited global data plan for "personal" customers, however most "business" customers are still able to add this plan. I am still able to add/remove this plan to my business phone line for the 2 weeks I will be on my cruise. In fact they have already placed the order for me and it will automatically be added for me on 2/25/11 as I set sail 2/27/11. I just need to call back to remove it and return to my normal $44.99 plan upon my return. If you are interested in using this plan and your phone is part of a business account then I would definitely call Verizon.

Greg
Will this unlimited global data plan allow you to use data on the ship (in addition to in port) without any additional charges (from Verizon or RCI)?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Past Cruises
Nov '98 - 4, Bahamas - Disney Magic :: first cruise!
Aug '02 - 5, W Caribbean - RCCL Monarch OTS
Dec '05 - 7, E Caribbean - RCCL Voyager OTS
May '08 - 9, E Caribbean - RCCL Explorer OTS
May '10 - 7, Bermuda - Norwegian Dawn
Feb '11 - 6, W Caribbean - RCCL Liberty OTS
Jan '12 - 7, E Caribbean - Grand Princess
Jul '13 - 7, W Mediterranean - Norwegian Epic
Mar '14 - 7, S Caribbean - RCCL Jewel OTS
Feb '15 - 8, E Caribbean - RCCL Indy OTS :: 10th cruise!
Apr '16 - 3, Bahamas - RCCL Indy OTS :: Bachelor Party!
Jun '16 - 7, E Mediterranean - Celebrity Constellation :: Honeymoon!

Upcoming Cruises
#15
W. Warwick, RI
186 Posts
Joined Dec 2010
Originally posted by DanScrim
Will this unlimited global data plan allow you to use data on the ship (in addition to in port) without any additional charges (from Verizon or RCI)?
Yes, if your phone is CDMA only it will work on the ship and in certain ports. If your phone is a global phone with a SIM card then it will work most anywhere without any surprise charges. If you are still eligible to add it, when you call you can give them your ship and your ports and they will verify whether or not you will have service.

I'm going on the Explorer 2/27/11 so I'll try to remember to post back with my findings.

Greg
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Greg & Heather Snow
Harmony of the Seas, 7-Night Eastern Caribbean (March 10, 2018),

Explorer of the Seas, 7-Night Pacific Coastal (September 29, 2017),

Serenade of the Seas, 10-Southern Caribbean (March, 2017), Explorer of the Seas, 12-Southern Caribbean (February, 2011), Mariner of the Seas, 7-Western Caribbean (December, 2006), Radiance of the Seas, 7-Eastern Caribbean (February, 2004)
#16
46 Posts
Joined Dec 2004
I have the droid incredible...... so if i uncheck the mobile network box i can:

NOT get any app or emails on or off the ship?

Make calls on the ship at ship rates and off at Verizon rates? (Coco cay, St Thomas and St Maarten)

Get txt messages on the ship at Verizon rates? (.55 and .05)

Boy I wish there was a simple way....hehe

Thx
Tony
#17
W. Warwick, RI
186 Posts
Joined Dec 2010
I just returned from 12 nights on the Explorer and was able to use the cellular data coverage when the ship had their cellular service activated. I had to change to the Global Email plan for $64.99/mo. which replaced my PDA/Smartphone Unlimited plan which was $44.99/mo. The GlobalEmail plan replaced my existing data plan and I paid the prorated difference for the time that I had it activated.

The service was slow for surfing on my DroidX but worked very well for sending and receiving emails. I tried tethering the phone to my laptop using PdaNet which worked well enough for using instant messenging (AOL IM, Live Messenger, etc.) but was too slow to handle skype (audio or video).

Most personal Verizon accounts will not have GlobalEmail as an option anymore, but my understanding is that it still will be an available option for phones associated with business accounts.





Greg
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Greg & Heather Snow
Harmony of the Seas, 7-Night Eastern Caribbean (March 10, 2018),

Explorer of the Seas, 7-Night Pacific Coastal (September 29, 2017),

Serenade of the Seas, 10-Southern Caribbean (March, 2017), Explorer of the Seas, 12-Southern Caribbean (February, 2011), Mariner of the Seas, 7-Western Caribbean (December, 2006), Radiance of the Seas, 7-Eastern Caribbean (February, 2004)
#18
Pittsburgh, PA
94 Posts
Joined Oct 2010
Originally posted by gfd_2
I just got off the phone with Verizon and here's their recommendation for Verizon smart phone users. Shut off all data flow leaving just the cell phone and text messaging by:


Go to Settings
Tap Wireless and Network settings to Uncheck (remove the green tic mark) for Wi-Fi. Note, don't do this until you're on the ship. This will shut off everything except for Cell Phone calls and Text Messages.


Another note, the ship's cell tower has a range of 1 to 2 miles but some countries will require the ship shut off their cell tower once in port, forcing calls through the country's cell system.


Phone calls will be ~ 2.49 / minute on RCL and text msgs will be .55 to send and .05 to receive.
I just have a basic verizon plan with unlimited texting. Are the .55 and .05 text charges applicable without me having to switch to any type of global plan? I just want to be able to text my kids at home once or twice a day.
#19
W. Warwick, RI
186 Posts
Joined Dec 2010
Originally posted by S&Jboat
I just have a basic verizon plan with unlimited texting. Are the .55 and .05 text charges applicable without me having to switch to any type of global plan? I just want to be able to text my kids at home once or twice a day.
You don't need any special plan to txt, just make sure you don't inadvertently use any data while roaming.

Send txt = 0.50
Receive txt = 0.05
Send pic = 0.50
Receive pic = 0.25

Greg
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Greg & Heather Snow
Harmony of the Seas, 7-Night Eastern Caribbean (March 10, 2018),

Explorer of the Seas, 7-Night Pacific Coastal (September 29, 2017),

Serenade of the Seas, 10-Southern Caribbean (March, 2017), Explorer of the Seas, 12-Southern Caribbean (February, 2011), Mariner of the Seas, 7-Western Caribbean (December, 2006), Radiance of the Seas, 7-Eastern Caribbean (February, 2004)
#20
Pittsburgh, PA
94 Posts
Joined Oct 2010
Originally posted by snowgreg
You don't need any special plan to txt, just make sure you don't inadvertently use any data while roaming.

Send txt = 0.50
Receive txt = 0.05
Send pic = 0.50
Receive pic = 0.25

Greg
Thanks, Greg