Toiletries

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

#1
The OC, California
43 Posts
Joined May 2011
I will be sailing on Serenade of the Seas this summer. It will be my first Royal Caribbean cruise. What toiletries, if any, are provided in the cabins? I imagine it will be just like a hotel room which usually provides shampoo, conditioner, soap and lotion. But I just want to make sure. Also do they restock these items throughout the cruise?

Oh and are there blow dryers in the cabin?

Thanks! Your answers will assist me with my packing.
#2
Minnesnowta!
80 Posts
Joined Jun 2011
Bring your own! I've heard that the toiletries provided with RCI are anything but nice, same with the hairdryer, they say to bring your own as well
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
~RCCL Freedom of the Seas - 7/10/2011
~RCCL Oasis of the Seas - 6/30/2012

*Upcoming*
~NCL Epic - 3/23/14
#3
Ontario, Canada (eh?)
225 Posts
Joined Feb 2006
Originally posted by MissTraveler08
Bring your own! I've heard that the toiletries provided with RCI are anything but nice, same with the hairdryer, they say to bring your own as well

UGH! Really??? That may mean one less pair of shoes in my suitcase if I have to bring the darned hair dryer!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sherlynn



Oasis of the Seas Family Cruise '13
Adventure of the Seas 15th Anniversary '11
Navigator of the Seas 10th Anniversary '06
Majesty of the Seas Honeymoon Cruise '96
#4
maryland
8 Posts
Joined Apr 2011
You get a dispenser in the shower with a white liquid which could be used as
shampoo,liquid soap, and conditioner.
And you get 2 little bars of soap replaced periodically. And a hair dryer.
#5
West Webster, NY
4,765 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
The lotion in the dispenser in the shower is a multi-purpose gel. For most men, it will serve as a soap and shampoo. For most women, it will not be sufficient. Most women will want to bring their own. The hair dryer is not super powerful but DW finds that it is sufficient and she does not bring her own.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Ken

#6
California
21,297 Posts
Joined May 2002
No matter what cruise line or hotel, I always take my own toiletries. Same with the blow dryer. If the provided dryer turns out OK, then I leave mine packed into the stowed carry on. If it is less than adequate (and this has happened numerous times) I have mine. More often than not, the dryers auto shut down on me mid-way and I only take about 10-15 minutes to dry my hair.

RCI usually has fairly decent dryers, I cruised Princess and found theirs to be useless. I'm one of the few who actually likes the kind you have to hold the button down, but I style in sections. I have to continually lay the dryer down to use 2 hands to comb up the next section. I don't just blow air at my head
#7
NC
185 Posts
Joined Jun 2009
It depends on how picky you are. For me the blow dryer is horrible...it takes forever to dry hair and the "mystery" soap/shampoo/lotion is not something I would use. I bring my own stuff.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Future Cruises:
Royal Caribbean - Western Caribbean - Allure of the Seas - Sept. 2012

Previous Cruises:
Royal Caribbean - Southern Caribbean - Serenade of the Seas - Sept. 2011
Royal Caribbean - Eastern Caribbean - Freedom of the Seas - Sept. 2009
Disney Cruise Lines - Bahamas - Magic -
June 2003






Forced to Work, Born to Cruise!!

I work ONLY to Cruise!

Life is hard, Cruising is Easy!
#8
Ohio
2,266 Posts
Joined May 2005
If you happen to be in a Junior Suite (or higher, I presume), you do get upgraded toiletries. This is what we had in our Serenade JS in December:



I am not picky about my shampoo and conditioner, but I do bring my own when not in a JS. I also bring my own hairdryer and straightener, for aforementioned reasons!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sue

Grandeur of the Seas - June 2005
Liberty of the Seas - December 2008 -
PHOTO ALBUM
Explorer of the Seas - June 2010 - Bermuda - VIDEO SLIDESHOW CRUISE COMPASSES
Serenade of the Seas - December 2010 - Southern Caribbean - PHOTO REVIEW VIDEO SLIDESHOW CRUISE COMPASSES
Celebrity Solstice - December 2011 - PHOTO REVIEW INFO PACKET CELEBRITY TODAYS PHOTO ALBUM
Radiance of the Seas - June 2013 - Alaska -
PHOTO ALBUM ALASKA CRUISE BLOG - SUMMER SOLSTICE IN THE LAST FRONTIER CRUISE COMPASSES
HAL Nieuw Amsterdam, Legendary Rhythm and Blues Cruise - January 2014 - PHOTO ALBUM
Navigator of the Seas - May 2016 - Norway - - PHOTO ALBUM
Jewel of the Seas - December 2016 - Southern Caribbean - PHOTO ALBUM





#9
13,773 Posts
Joined Jun 2005
Originally posted by subtchr
If you happen to be in a Junior Suite (or higher, I presume), you do get upgraded toiletries. This is what we had in our Serenade JS in December:



I am not picky about my shampoo and conditioner, but I do bring my own when not in a JS. I also bring my own hairdryer and straightener, for aforementioned reasons!

Interesting.........as of the last years plus cruises that we have had.......in full suites, Royal Caribbean supplies us with Gilchrist & Soames products........something that we also use at home.

What you see in the photo above........is something that should be available to anyone in any cabin, below a full suite.

However.........now that I think about it.......this product may be limited to the Junior suites. Not positive, and would love to have some feedback about what ammenities have been available to different tier levels. It might be that D and D+ get these goodies!

Rick
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
History:BB, SS Hastings X3 '53, '54, '55, BR, SS Brazil '52, Tropical '94, Elation '95; Together, P Prin '96, Veendam '97, Universe Explorer '97, Melody B2B '98, Melody B2B '99, Crown Prn '99, R-2 Greece '00, R-4 Tahiti '01, Mercury B2B Alaska '01, R-3 Med '01, R-1 Med '01, NCL Wind '01, LG Hawaii 4/03, Golden Prn NE 9/03, LG Hawaii 3/04, La Tortue Canal Du Midi 5/04, Mercury MR 2/05, Ziederdam Carib 4/05, LG OS Canary Islands 5/05, MN OS 8/05, W Carib 12/05, Mercury MR 2/06. B2B MN 3/06, B2B JW TA & Baltic 4/06, MN B2B 9/06,JW OS NE/Cda 9/06, Mercury Pan Canal 12/06, VI OS MR 2/07, MN 5/07, Melody Rhine & Mosel 6/07, EX 10/07, NV TA 11/07, VI 1/08, EX 2/08, MN 4/08, JW Ire/Scotl/Nwgn fjords 6/08, MN 9/08, MN B2B 10/08, MN Pan Canal 10/08. MA 1/09 B2B2B "Hornblower". 2/09 MA pre inaugural, MA 4/09 MR , 5/09 MA PacNW. 9/6 B2B MA, RD B2B 10/4/09 MR, RD 11/09 B2B, MA 11/29 B2B, RD 1/22/10,Voyager 3/10, RD 4/10, RD 5/10, RD 5/10 Alaska,MJ 8/10 B2B2B, MA 9/10 B2B, MA 9/10 MA 11/10, AL PI, 11/10, RD 12/10 MJ B2B 12/10, MA ATH reunion 1/11, Golden Prn Hawaii 4//11, EX B2B 10/11,MA B2B2B 11&12/11. Prin Sapphire 2/12,MJ 3/12, NV 3/12, RH Alaska 5/12, JW TA 8/12, Infinity-PC 10/12, BR 12/12 B2B2B, VI 4/13 TA, Fjords & Baltics B2B2B, 5/13 QM2 W. crsing, 9/13 Golden Prin Alaska, 10/13 Golden Prn B2B2B2B - Pacific Cstl, 12/13 LB B2B, 12/13 LG S.Carib, 2/14 Sapphire Prn MR, 3/14 Sapphire Prn Sea of Cortez/Cstl B2B 4/14 AD TA, 5/14 AmaPrima Ams to Bud, 8/14 NV B2B, 9/14 Crown Coastal, 11/14 Golden getaway, 11/14 Quantum PI, 12/14 NV Carib B2B, 1/15 Grand MX Riviera, 2/15 NV B2B, VI Carib 4/15, Ruby Prn 4/15, LG Hawaii 5/15, Azamara Journey Greek Isles 8/15, NV B2B2B 10/15 Crown Prn 12/15 Mx Riv, LB B2B 5/16, AL B2B (Presidents cruise)9/16, HA PI 11/16, SR 12/16, OA 12/16.

Pinnacle Club Member
Celebrity Elite
Princess Elite
#10
2,826 Posts
Joined Jan 2004
Since most of our cruises are for a week and in the Caribbean, I have a hard time freaking out about how my hair reacts to the shampoo provided. If my hair isn't perfect, so what, I'm not going for a job interview. If you have thick, coarse hair then I would suggest bringing your own blow dryer as the one provided is a light weight version. Okay for my thin fine hair but it would take way too long to dry and style thick, coarse, long hair.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Maggie
#11
7,020 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Originally posted by LadyPemberley
I will be sailing on Serenade of the Seas this summer. It will be my first Royal Caribbean cruise. What toiletries, if any, are provided in the cabins? I imagine it will be just like a hotel room which usually provides shampoo, conditioner, soap and lotion. But I just want to make sure. Also do they restock these items throughout the cruise?

Oh and are there blow dryers in the cabin?

Thanks! Your answers will assist me with my packing.
Individual toiletries like you describe are generally only available in Junior Suites and higher. All other cabins have bar soap, and a liquid dispenser in the shower. Sometimes it's labeled "shampoo" and sometimes it's labeled "shampoo/conditioner." People say it can also serve as shower gel. Even if it is indeed a shampoo/conditioner combo, most women will find it really doesn't serve as conditioner, especially if you have long or color-treated hair. I'm not that picky about shampoo, but if I didn't bring my own conditioner (if not in a JS) I would never be able to get a comb through my hair after using just the mystery gel.

There are hair dryers in each cabin, but they are not as high powered as most people seem to be used to at home. They work, but it does take a little longer to get your hair dry.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Meg

Remembering 34 past cruises:
25 Royal Caribbean, 5 Celebrity, 2 Carnival, 1 Princess, 2 Oceania

Anticipating 2 future cruises:
Anthem of the Seas--5 night, Bermuda, 6/2017
Anthem of the Seas--5 night, Bermuda, 9/2017
#12
San Francisco Bay Area
1,408 Posts
Joined May 2007
Originally posted by waterbug123
Individual toiletries like you describe are generally only available in Junior Suites and higher. All other cabins have bar soap, and a liquid dispenser in the shower. Sometimes it's labeled "shampoo" and sometimes it's labeled "shampoo/conditioner." People say it can also serve as shower gel. Even if it is indeed a shampoo/conditioner combo, most women will find it really doesn't serve as conditioner, especially if you have long or color-treated hair. I'm not that picky about shampoo, but if I didn't bring my own conditioner (if not in a JS) I would never be able to get a comb through my hair after using just the mystery gel.

There are hair dryers in each cabin, but they are not as high powered as most people seem to be used to at home. They work, but it does take a little longer to get your hair dry.
I'm about to take my first RCI cruise. I have to say I'm surprised to find that
all cabins are not supplied with at least separate shampoo and conditioner -- versus the "mystery gel." Even cheap hotels do that. Lacks class. I hear they also do not supply robes for first time cruisers. Guess I should be glad I don't have to bring my own towels.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Mary Ellen

Dawn Princess 4-1-07 (SF-Mexican Riviera)
Dawn Princess 6-30-07 (SF-Alaska)
QM2 9-27-08 (East Coast/New York-Canada)
Grand Princess 11-30-09 (3 Continents/Transatlantic)
Emerald Princess 9-5-10 (Eastern Caribbean)
Emerald Princess 9-12-10 (Western Caribbean)
HAL Zuiderdam 9-25-10 (Coastal, Vancouver- San Francisco)
Navigator of the Seas 11-6-11 (Transatlantic)
Grand Princess 1-26-13 (49-day b2b2b-- Fort Lauderdale-Buenos Aires; Buenos Aires-Santiago;Santiago-San Francisco)
Royal Princess 10-29-13 Caribbean Inaugural
Allure of the Seas 11-2-13 Western Caribbean
QV 4-1-14 Panama Canal from SF to Fort Lauderdale

Regal Princess April 12, 2015 (Eastern Caribbean Getaway 3-day RT FL)
Regal Princess April 15, 2015 (Northern European Passage) FLL Copenhagen


Upcoming:
Regal Princess 5-12-16 (Scandinavia & Russia)
#13
The OC, California
43 Posts
Joined May 2011
Originally posted by sherlynn
UGH! Really??? That may mean one less pair of shoes in my suitcase if I have to bring the darned hair dryer!
Lol! I sympathize with you.

I think I'll just use the ship's weak blowdryer so I won't have to sacrifice a pair of shoes. But I will bring my own toiletries, and forego the mystery gel. Thanks everyone for your help!
#14
The North East of England
3,264 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
I was told that they supply the shampoo/conditioner because most women bring their own, we have had the Gilcrist Soames bottles a few times.
They also did away with the chocolates on pillow as 95% of them ended up in the trash can so they keep tabs on everything!
#15
Fredericksburg, va. USA
82,530 Posts
Joined May 2001
Stick the "nose" of your blowdryer into a pair of hubby's shoes ....or yours, for that matter! That way, it only takes up a bit of space! The provided hair dryers are those "snub-nosed" hotel-style dryers.....they simply don't BLOW like they're supposed to!
#16
Ocala, Fl
9,925 Posts
Joined Jul 2002
Originally posted by rubrrick
Interesting.........as of the last years plus cruises that we have had.......in full suites, Royal Caribbean supplies us with Gilchrist & Soames products........something that we also use at home.

What you see in the photo above........is something that should be available to anyone in any cabin, below a full suite.

However.........now that I think about it.......this product may be limited to the Junior suites. Not positive, and would love to have some feedback about what ammenities have been available to different tier levels. It might be that D and D+ get these goodies!

Rick
The last time I sailed in less than a JS we did not have any toiletries other than the bar soap & "mystery" jel in the shower dispenser...I was Diamond at the time & when I asked the cabin steward was told only JS or higher get the "good" stuff...guess he felt sorry for me cause later on he did bring me some lotion, shampoo & shower jel..

I am now D+ and will be in an outside in August..planning to just bring my own stuff from home...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature








In the end...we only Regret the chances we didn't Take

Karen
#17
Utaaaaah!
472 Posts
Joined Jun 2007
Originally posted by subtchr
If you happen to be in a Junior Suite (or higher, I presume), you do get upgraded toiletries. This is what we had in our Serenade JS in December:



I am not picky about my shampoo and conditioner, but I do bring my own when not in a JS. I also bring my own hairdryer and straightener, for aforementioned reasons!
I'm in a D1 ocean-view balcony on Oasis right now, and we have these toiletries!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
~gigi

Carnival Inspiration 05/13/16
Freedom of the Seas 8/15
Norwegian Sky, 8/14
Carnival Splendor, 9/12
Oasis of the Seas 6/11
Carnival Elation 7/09
Mariner of the Seas Mexican Riviera 7/09
Liberty of the Seas 7/07
Carnival ?? 11/88
#18
Merion, Pennsylvania
57,791 Posts
Joined Oct 2003
Originally posted by LadyPemberley
Lol! I sympathize with you.

I think I'll just use the ship's weak blowdryer so I won't have to sacrifice a pair of shoes. But I will bring my own toiletries, and forego the mystery gel. Thanks everyone for your help!
I have found the ship's hairdryer quite up to the task, and would never take my own. No worries there.

I use small bottles of shampoo and such that I carry with me. It's no big deal to take your own lotions and shampoos. If you use 'em up, just throw out the bottles.
#19
Merion, Pennsylvania
57,791 Posts
Joined Oct 2003
Originally posted by dizzlepop
I'm in a D1 ocean-view balcony on Oasis right now, and we have these toiletries!
Oasis has been doing a lot of little things differently from the other ships. This, and EVERYONE still gets chocolates on the pillow at night!
#20
Merion, Pennsylvania
57,791 Posts
Joined Oct 2003
Originally posted by kc320
The last time I sailed in less than a JS we did not have any toiletries other than the bar soap & "mystery" jel in the shower dispenser...I was Diamond at the time & when I asked the cabin steward was told only JS or higher get the "good" stuff...guess he felt sorry for me cause later on he did bring me some lotion, shampoo & shower jel..

I am now D+ and will be in an outside in August..planning to just bring my own stuff from home...
I have found that if the toiletries are not in our cabin (I may not use them but my son is not so picky ) when we arrive, after we ask, the steward brings them without hesitation and re-stocks whenever needed.