Weather during Transatlantic Crossing in November

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Oceania Cruises
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 06:57 PM.
#1
Palm Desert, California
1,375 Posts
Joined Nov 2004
This is my first Transatlantic crossing Rome to Miami in November. I have a pretty good idea of the weather in Rome and Barcelona 60's however it can change. I will have a weatherproof jacket that I am taking on the safari for cold mornings and evenings. What can I expect during the crossing, breezy, cold, etc. Can someone enlighten me? I will probably have a sweater knitted by the end of the cruise but do want to be prepared.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
#2
Stamford, CT, USA
5,850 Posts
Joined Feb 2002
Originally posted by A Knitter
This is my first Transatlantic crossing Rome to Miami in November. I have a pretty good idea of the weather in Rome and Barcelona 60's however it can change. I will have a weatherproof jacket that I am taking on the safari for cold mornings and evenings. What can I expect during the crossing, breezy, cold, etc. Can someone enlighten me? I will probably have a sweater knitted by the end of the cruise but do want to be prepared.
After you leave sight of land, the temperatures will generally dip about 10 degrees from the nearest land.

You can expect to leave Barcelona in the 60's and arrive in Miami with temperatures in the 80's; so on the Ocean you will vary from the low 50's to the low 70's.

Naturally, individual experience may vary with the weather.
Have a fabulous cruise!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jim & Stan


Contact Jim & Stan
#4
Stamford, CT, USA
5,850 Posts
Joined Feb 2002
Originally posted by A Knitter
Thank You. I knew you would be in the know.
Actually, one of my earliest cruise memories involves my mother feeling that these advertisements were misleading:


Although the weather may have been more pleasant than the North Atlantic, the Italian line had to come up with all kinds of gimmicks to keep their ships competitive on the longer Southern Route (still to NYC, but further South than from England, because they started in the Med).

The swimming water was heated to a warm 74 degrees, and they even installed infra red heat lamps in those sheltered bays around the pools......

Holy Micro Wave Oven!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jim & Stan


Contact Jim & Stan
#5
Texas
178 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
We were on the Regatta last November from Barcelona to Miami. We had been in Italy for 3 weeks before the cruise and had worn cashmeres, raincoats, wool slacks and jackets for the entire time and had been comfortable. But each day on the crossing was warmer than the last and we became increasingly hot in our fall clothes. I bought several cotton tees and a light cotton jacket on the ship and wore them every day. Our fall clothes for the evening seemed fine, but it was extremely warm every day at sea, even if it was windy. As I remember, it was between 75 and 85 for each 24 hour period on the crossing.

When we do the transatlantic crossing this year, I will have packed some light weight things, just in case. It would be much easier if the weather in Italy in November matched that of the Southern Crossing. But I suppose it might have been an unusual year in 2010.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.” -- Mark Twain


2011 HAL Nieuw Amsterdam Transatlantic
2010 Oceania Regatta Transatlantic
2010 HAL Noordam, Caribbean
2009 Avalon Tapestry, Rhine River
2006 RCI Adventure of the Seas, Caribbean
2004 HAL Veendam, Alaska
2002 RCI Rhapsody of the Seas, Caribbean
1998 Royal Olympic Odysseus, Greek Isles
1997 Sonesta Nile Goddess, Egypt





<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
#6
Palm Desert, California
1,375 Posts
Joined Nov 2004
Originally posted by JimandStan
Actually, one of my earliest cruise memories involves my mother feeling that these advertisements were misleading:


Although the weather may have been more pleasant than the North Atlantic, the Italian line had to come up with all kinds of gimmicks to keep their ships competitive on the longer Southern Route (still to NYC, but further South than from England, because they started in the Med).

The swimming water was heated to a warm 74 degrees, and they even installed infra red heat lamps in those sheltered bays around the pools......

Holy Micro Wave Oven!
Thanks JimandStan. Great to go down memory lane with those ads

Originally posted by Archie's Mom
We were on the Regatta last November from Barcelona to Miami. We had been in Italy for 3 weeks before the cruise and had worn cashmeres, raincoats, wool slacks and jackets for the entire time and had been comfortable. But each day on the crossing was warmer than the last and we became increasingly hot in our fall clothes. I bought several cotton tees and a light cotton jacket on the ship and wore them every day. Our fall clothes for the evening seemed fine, but it was extremely warm every day at sea, even if it was windy. As I remember, it was between 75 and 85 for each 24 hour period on the crossing.

When we do the transatlantic crossing this year, I will have packed some light weight things, just in case. It would be much easier if the weather in Italy in November matched that of the Southern Crossing. But I suppose it might have been an unusual year in 2010.

Thanks Archie's Mom What you experienced is exactly the information I needed. I will be in East AFrica the first two weeks with a warm safari jacket which is needed in the early morning and evening. Rome is cool as I recall being there the same time in November in 2009 and the same with Barcelona so I am good there. Will pack lighter weight for the crossing. Many thanks to both of you.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
#7
Arizona
5,061 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
Originally posted by A Knitter
This is my first Transatlantic crossing Rome to Miami in November. I have a pretty good idea of the weather in Rome and Barcelona 60's however it can change. I will have a weatherproof jacket that I am taking on the safari for cold mornings and evenings. What can I expect during the crossing, breezy, cold, etc. Can someone enlighten me? I will probably have a sweater knitted by the end of the cruise but do want to be prepared.
Maria --thanks for posing the question