1st time for Regent cruise.....any advice/tips

maggieq

I am going on my first Regent cruise on the Mariner. We have been loyal to Royal for a while. I actually won this cruise and am really excited. Is there anything you can tell me as far as what to expect, tips for the ship itself?

Thanks!

Don't even know where to start. You will LOVE Regent and will never want to go to another cruise line. First off, suggest you go to the Regent website and set up your account. In order to do this you will need your booking #. Once you are set up, you will see the dates when you can book your dining reservations and excursion reservations. These dates are important if you want to dine in a speciality restaurant on a certain date, certain time and at a table for 2, 4, 6, etc.

The 2nd night (generally) is the Captain's Reception. People tend to dress up a bit more on this night. Also, the menu in Compass Rose has some special items that you will not see on the daily menu. Suggest you not book a speciality restaurant on this night. Also, the night before disembarkation (generally -- if you are not overnighting at your final destination) is the Captain's Farewell. Again, the menu in Compass Rose is special.

I'm sure there are many more tips. . . . these are the first that come to mind. Congratulations on winning this cruise! What is the itinerary?

I am going on my first Regent cruise on the Mariner. We have been loyal to Royal for a while. I actually won this cruise and am really excited. Is there anything you can tell me as far as what to expect, tips for the ship itself?

Thanks!

Regent runs ships which compared to the ships you've been on... may seem very small and possibly boring. when we've pulled up next to a RCCL, my jaw usually drops at the sight of all the amazing bells and whistles on those engineering marvels.

what can you expect on a Regent ship is like shopping at Nordstrom versus Macy's. while you don't get the wide selection of a Macy's, you get a unique service with Regent.

don't know how you generally cruise but Regent has only outside cabins. everyone has a balcony. fellow passengers are outgoing and it's fun to start dinner with strangers each night and possibly make friends as the days pass.

the ships are small but there also aren't more than 700 passengers so you will have breathing space. most everything, including drinks, are covered by your cruise fare so there won't be anyone carrying a bucket of beer.

some women will have some serious gems and I find it fun to spot. dress is fairly casual. just no jeans after 6.

dinner in your cabin can be very pleasant if you're not up to getting dressed. you can order shrimp cocktail and a steak ... or a pizza... and go sit watch a movie in your robe while dinner is delivered.

Regent is a different experience, as I'm sure ROyal also has masses of fans who love the experience they get. just pack lightly and enjoy yourself.

Thanks!

Maggie - Regent is as discovery in itself, and people feel like they have won first prize in something when they are on board and underway. I have one voyage behind me and have nothing but praise for my vessel, Mariner, the staff, and the manner in which guests pay the tariff for enjoying the ride - everything paid up front. 700 or less people on a cruise ship is like vacationing on a very large yacht - and the staff treats you more as a prized guest then as a paying customer. As for tipping, none is expected, because you tipped well, very well, when you paid for your passage months before the cruising. Regent is just small enough in numbers and sizes of ships and organization to allow for more direct communications between passengers and high administration. A complaint about something often reaches the CEO and immediate steps are taken to change things if necessary. I write from recent experience. And I am on Navigator when it makes its way around the coastline of America's south in April, 2012. Jack Morris

A complaint about something often reaches the CEO and immediate steps are taken to change things if necessary. I write from recent experience. And I am on Navigator when it makes its way around the coastline of America's south in April, 2012. Jack Morris

Oh how many of us wish this were true. I know from experience that any response, if one is even received takes many weeks, if not months and often that response is negative even to well documented valid issues.

To get any response I have had to resort to putting charges to my credit card in dispute as Regent has to provide a response or the credit card company will uphold the dispute. Even then the response was contrived at best. Being persistant did get us some justice but in the form of a FCC and not a check for undelivered excursion promised items.

This all comes under the extremely poor communications from the Regent home office that has been mentioned by many people. Am happy you got your response but, more often than not the silence is defeaning.

Just thought of something else. The food is wonderful and it's impossible to eat everything. So, if you see a couple of entrees you like, ask to have one of them as an appetizer portion (or visa versa). This enables you to have the portions you want and you get to try more things:)

Oh how many of us wish this were true. I know from experience that any response, if one is even received takes many weeks, if not months and often that response is negative even to well documented valid issues.

To get any response I have had to resort to putting charges to my credit card in dispute as Regent has to provide a response or the credit card company will uphold the dispute. Even then the response was contrived at best. Being persistant did get us some justice but in the form of a FCC and not a check for undelivered excursion promised items.

This all comes under the extremely poor communications from the Regent home office that has been mentioned by many people. Am happy you got your response but, more often than not the silence is defeaning.

I am dismayed. the OP says she is excited that she is taking a Regent cruise and asks what she can expect. your post is full of bitterness and how is this helpful?

we've been on seven Regent cruises and leave next week for the Mariner. I've been reading these CC postings and there is a general thread that things aren't what they used to be. sadly, I agree. but we're still cruising with Regent and if we should find it so unbearable, we'll find somewhere else to spend our travel funds.

OP is excited. she should be! we'd all be thrilled to win a Regent cruise. so

why post what isn't helpful?

Eleanor, was responding to 2old4this and quoted the part of his post that I was responding to. He painted a rosy picture of Regent responding to issues while I was simply saying that I along with others have had different experiences. While my post was negative as that was how we were treated by Regent, isn't it better to tell more than one side of the story so that the OP as well as others understand that everything isn't always as rosy as some people experienced?

This is part of Cruise Critic; you get both sides of the story when there are more than one side.

While it is true that on CruiseCritic you get both sides of the story. IMO, the OP is interested in tips about the ship and the Regent experience. Explaining what may go wrong and how top management deals with it is quite off topic (again, in my opinion). Let's stay positive here. Rallydave, we have 10 wonderful cruises with Regent and have not had your experience (although we have had a horrible excursion that we were reimbursed for). Your experience is unique. . . . we do pay for "free" excursions. . . . but, can we really be reimbursed for them? Think this is a great topic for another thread.

MaggieQ, I am absolutely certain that you will have the time of your life on this cruise! Relax and enjoy yourselves!

Ship tips: not many, but here goes:

• The self-serve machine in the Coffee Corner makes really good lattes, etc., and I almost always used that to make my own. But, on the cruise director's suggestion, twice I went to the bar a few steps away and had them make me one on the big fancy machine. He was right; they're even closer to heaven.

• There's a really nice area to hang out on the aft deck outside of Horizons lounge; quiet, comfy chairs, sheltered, and few people seemed to know about it.

• The themed buffets on the pool deck are great, but I always also walked through La Veranda a few steps away first to see which items I wanted from both. You can take the outside food into La V, or vice-versa, to sit wherever you want to. If you're a breakfast buffet person, like I am, La V is nice, and I particularly like sitting outside on the fantail.

• If you have somehow failed to stuff yourself way past capacity during the day, there's nothing quite like spaghetti with meat sauce and a caesar salad from room service at 2am.

• I have found the lectures to be one of my favorite sea-day activities. They will also be available on the TV in your room for a while if you miss one you wanted to see.

• Depending on your cruise director, or maybe they all do this, there will be a daily presentation you can watch on your TV; they record these very early in the morning. They're very interesting, regarding ports you're going to, interesting shipboard stuff, or whatever your creative CD has to say to enrich your day.

You'll have a blast for sure; no worries!

Having not sailed Regent yet (end of November) and having read this board for a few months, it seems clear that most (if not all) of us know that Regent is extremely adept at promoting themselves via Email. I have read many posts concerning Regent’s unwillingness to communicate with its passengers regarding most anything short of promotion (not just complaints). The only communication seems to be promotional type offerings. In my opinion, that is reprehensible. We all know Regent has an effective mechanism for communicating with its current, future and potential customers and this system is already in place and operational. How about an email when shore excursions are added or changed after their opened for booking (just one example)? Regent should make use of email to foster better customer relations and communication. Just my opinion…

Maggie, how great to win a prize like this!

You will definitely find the Regent ship quieter than RCL. You will love your stateroom with its balcony! Don't forget to ask your steward or stewardess for your in-room bar setup.

The ambience on the ship is fairly casual but refined at the same time. Dress never has to be formal, unless you want it to be, but casual means "elegant casual".

If you don't like the pouring wine at dinner, ask if there are alternatives--they will generally find another wine for you.

I don't know about Mariner, but Voyager now has an almost full-time barrista in the Coffee Corner--no need to go anywhere else to get a great latte or capuccino.

There is a laundry on each floor, if you need it. No charge, soap included. But bring a couple of dryer sheets if you think you want to use this facility.

Thanks for all the info and tips.

I don't intend to drink much on this cruise, however, the only wine I drink is Pinot Grigio and it must be from Italy. Otherwise, I either don't like the taste or I get a terrible headache.

Does Regent serve Pinot Grigio?

Thanks!

I think I've seen pinot grigio, but I don't know if it's from Italy.

The thing is, you will have access to an actual Sommelier -- it's not just a job description; they go through extremely rigorous training and very thorough testing to earn the title.

What I mean is that you will have the opportunity to describe your headache thingie to a qualified sommelier, and they have *so* much knowledge that they will likely actually understand the chemical cause for it and what to do about it and what other wines would work for you; I mean they know college-level chemistry details about weather, regions, influence of the soil, etc. -- the training is very very detailed, and earning the title is _not_ easy. *SO*, the upshot of what I'm saying is that you may come out of this experience with the ability to enjoy new wines, based upon the knowledge your sommelier will share with you.

edit: I think I may even have seen a Master Sommelier on board once. I may well be mistaken; I think there are only about 130 Master Sommeliers in the whole world at any one time.

I don't intend to drink much on this cruise, however, the only wine I drink is Pinot Grigio and it must be from Italy. Otherwise, I either don't like the taste or I get a terrible headache.

Thanks!

Yes, they do have Pinot Grigio - Santa Margarita most of the time. Last year, on one occassion, the supplier for the Santa Margarita didn't show up with the wine so for the next few days, the Santa Margarita was in short supply. When we got to the next port, that was rectified.

Karen

I enjoy both lines - -

I have only done 2 Regent, BUT they were special. In fact, the only thing that I can think of that both RCII and Regent are - they are both ships.

Regent will spoil you with great service, good food, and a very very comfortable suite. If you go to the buffet, you will find some exciting food. Even on the buffet there are things made to order. The staff works to make you happy, not for the hope of a tip. If you want to give a staff person, write a good letter about what they did for you. Yes, you can give them something - a gift to the crew fund! One of my favorite things is the fact that once I paid for my cruise didn't have to spend any more money. The other thing was that there were not a lot of people on the ship. It was quiet. If I could afford it, I would cruise every year. I am looking forward to reading your review of your special cruise.

Yes, they do have Pinot Grigio - Santa Margarita most of the time. Last year, on one occassion, the supplier for the Santa Margarita didn't show up with the wine so for the next few days, the Santa Margarita was in short supply. When we got to the next port, that was rectified.

Karen

Thanks! That's my absolute favorite Pinot Grigio....

RallyDave - Aw but it is true. While I won't go into details about my communication with Regent's CEO, I will assure you it was he who responded and he did it directly to the responsible hotel manager with me as a cc. Action was taken to my satisfaction.

I agree there are guests on Regent vessels and on other lines, as well, who never receive satisfaction even when they have been truly wronged. Some complaints and requests are not easily dealt with and sometimes we simply do not search out the best cruise line person with whom to share our situation.

I had a complaint regarding missing luggage while on a Holland America cruise in the Med. I took my written complaint to the Purser and was waved away with a smile. I then composed a second copy of the complaint and hand carried it to the hotel manager. No action! I made copies of both complaints and attached them to a third and new draft addressed to the ships Captain. Minutes later following delivery to the Captain the Purser called me and asked for a meeting in his office. By now I was wearing the clothing I had been living in for three days. He asked what I wished beside cash for a set of clothes from the ship's store. I said I thought my choices of excursions at the next three ports would satisfy my current discomfort. I received the clothes and the excursions for both my wife and me.

Persistance generally leads to a happy ending. Jack Morris

While I agree that Regent has extremely poor communication with it's passengers in terms of advising them of changes, I do not feel the same about the President of Regent or the CEO of Prestige Cruise Holdings. IMO, both men care deeply about Regent and do their best to correct "wrongs". They are so on top of things that the ship's G.M. often hears of complaints or compiiments from passengers who post on CruiseCritic while they are still on the ship (via top management).

There will always be issues when management does not see things the same as a passenger does.

Thanks!

There was also a Castello Banfi Pinot Grigio available at an additional cost of $34. I'm not sure if the wine menu is the same from ship to ship.

There was also a Castello Banfi Pinot Grigio available at an additional cost of $34. I'm not sure if the wine menu is the same from ship to ship.

Coming from a wine snob, albeit an educated one and please don't take this personally, but the Italians never learned to make a white wine..

That said, a few of my desert island wines are Italian reds...namely Amarone and Barolo and a few more...yes, these are huge wines, not inexpensive, and not everyone can handle them, but just my opinion.

I'm ready to be flogged. :D

Coming from a wine snob, albeit an educated one and please don't take this personally, but the Italians never learned to make a white wine..

That said, a few of my desert island wines are Italian reds...namely Amarone and Barolo and a few more...yes, these are huge wines, not inexpensive, and not everyone can handle them, but just my opinion.

I'm ready to be flogged. :D

No flogging from me! I don't drink much white wine, much prefer red. I don't know much about wine but I enjoy "learning". Feel free to post specifics. Consider it community service.

Archived