I thought, there is a law to have 100% lifeboat capacity - NO!

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Ask a Cruise Question
Post your general cruise questions here.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 08:52 AM.
#2
New Jersey
1,006 Posts
Joined Sep 2008
Originally posted by Dayenu
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012...?newsfeed=true

"maritime law only requires lifeboat capacity for 75% of passengers – 50% in traditional boats hanging off the side, 25% in inflatables on board"

Why did I think it's 100% capacity?

http://www.hickeylawfirm.com/pdf/uscg.pdf

Us Coast Guard Consumer Fact Sheet " passengers need not be alarmed if they discover that the total number of person's on board ... exceeds the total capacity of the ship's life boats... the total capacity of all the survival craft on board will exceed the total number of persons on the vessel" bottom page 1 top 2.... Interesting read!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Gma-Pat and Pop-Pop





Next Up =

NCL Breakaway 10/17 - Florida and Nassau from NYC


NCL Gem 2/17 - Eastern Caribbean from NYC
NCL Breakaway 10/16 - Bermuda from NYC
NCL Breakaway 04/16 - Florida & Nassau from NYC
NCL Breakaway 10/15 - Bermuda from NYC
NCL Gem 10/14 - Eastern Caribbean from NYC
NCL Jewel 3/13 - Florida & Nassau from NYC
NCL Star 9/12 - Bermuda from NYC
NCL Star 4/12 - Eastern & Western Caribbean Tampa to NYC (repo)
NCL Jewel 1/11 - Eastern Caribbean from NYC
NCL Dawn 9/10 - Bermuda from NYC
NCL Dawn 10/08 - Bermuda from NYC
NCL Spirit 8/06 - Eastern Caribbean and Bermuda from NYC
Italia Line Leonardo Da Vinci 9/77 - Nassau from Miami
#3
Romsey England
11,257 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
Originally posted by Dayenu
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012...?newsfeed=true

"maritime law only requires lifeboat capacity for 75% of passengers – 50% in traditional boats hanging off the side, 25% in inflatables on board"

Why did I think it's 100% capacity?
Sloppy research by the Guardian newspaper, and not for the first time .

Capacity is a minimum 100% under SOLAS regulations.
A minimum 75% must be in lifeboats, the remaining 25% can be in liferafts.
50% of this capacity on each side
These figures include all on board, passengers and crew.

SOLAS is an internationally-recognised standard, and ships would not be permitted to operate in the developed world without SOLAS certification.

See page 3 on http://www.imo.org/OurWork/Safety/Re...viving.FIN.pdf

JB
#4
Shanghai, PRC / Sete, France
3,866 Posts
Joined Jun 2002
Next time you board a ship's tender boat, take a good look at the rating of the boat, posted on a placard inside, or stenciled on the outside.

Most tender boats today claim a capacity of 200 passengers.
Then take a look at the people sitting around you.
Most are in the 250 pound range - and up.
Count the heads in a very crowded tender boat and you might see as many as 75.
There is no way the boat can accommodate even 100 of these grossly overfed people.

Forget the 200 passenger capacity sign - and hope for 100.
#5
more or less in TX
10,418 Posts
Joined Jul 2006
Originally posted by BruceMuzz
Next time you board a ship's tender boat, take a good look at the rating of the boat, posted on a placard inside, or stenciled on the outside.

Most tender boats today claim a capacity of 200 passengers.
Then take a look at the people sitting around you.
Most are in the 250 pound range - and up.
Count the heads in a very crowded tender boat and you might see as many as 75.
There is no way the boat can accommodate even 100 of these grossly overfed people.

Forget the 200 passenger capacity sign - and hope for 100.
And add to that the people who are disabled and need assistance getting to and on to a lifeboat, and the situation is not so pretty.