Balcony Cabins on New Royal Princess

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 09:39 PM.
#1
Palm Harbor, FL
12,792 Posts
Joined May 2000
Does anyone have an insight on the obstructions on the BY, BW and BV balcony cabins? I have searched threads and pictures and can't seem to find anything that helps. The deck locations are better and since it only states that they are partially obstructed I'm wondering how much of an obstruction we could end up with.

Also, some of the BV cabins are mid ship and appear to have large but odd shape balconies too. Hmmm???

Moving to a BE isn't a lot of difference in price but again the locations aren't as convenient...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Linda
letue@aol.com

#2
Halifax
354 Posts
Joined Nov 2008
Originally posted by LEtue
Does anyone have an insight on the obstructions on the BY, BW and BV balcony cabins? I have searched threads and pictures and can't seem to find anything that helps. The deck locations are better and since it only states that they are partially obstructed I'm wondering how much of an obstruction we could end up with.

Also, some of the BV cabins are mid ship and appear to have large but odd shape balconies too. Hmmm???

Moving to a BE isn't a lot of difference in price but again the locations aren't as convenient...
It appears to be just the life boats and tenders below you, and the only obstruction would be standing at the rail looking down to the water. I doubt if you would see them from the room or sitting on the balcony.
#3
Norfolk, UK
912 Posts
Joined Oct 2011
Hi,
we are booked in BZ so are hoping for at least some sight of sea and sky but at least we have a balcony....
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sailed:Sea Princess -Caribbean 2009,Sea Princess -Caribbean 2011,Grand Princess-Europe 2011,Caribbean Princess-Caribbean 2012 x2 ,Oceana- Atlantic Coast 2012 ,Grand Princess-Scandinavia 2012,Grand Princess-Europe 2012,Oceana-Europe 2012,Ventura -Europe 2012,Golden Princess-Hawaii 2013,Aurora-Europe 2013,Royal Princess-Maiden Iberia -2013 ,Crown Princess-Fjords-2013,Crown Princess-Europe 2013,Oceana-Iberia 2014, Emerald Princess-Europe 2014, Emerald Princess-Mediterranean 2014, Oriana-Europe 2014, Caribbean Princess-Caribbean 2015, island Princess-Europe-2015, Oceana-Canaries-2015, Emerald Princess-Europe- 2016,
#4
Palm Harbor, FL
12,792 Posts
Joined May 2000
Originally posted by MGAfhc
It appears to be just the life boats and tenders below you, and the only obstruction would be standing at the rail looking down to the water. I doubt if you would see them from the room or sitting on the balcony.
Originally posted by umbertsmum
Hi,
we are booked in BZ so are hoping for at least some sight of sea and sky but at least we have a balcony....
Thanks to both of you. As long as I can see the ocean I'll be happy and I like being midship sailing out of FLL. Just can't bring myself to booking an inside any more
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Linda
letue@aol.com

#5
Inland Empire, CA
9,598 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Originally posted by MGAfhc
It appears to be just the life boats and tenders below you, and the only obstruction would be standing at the rail looking down to the water. I doubt if you would see them from the room or sitting on the balcony.
What you state does not appear to be true if you look at the construction photos. I have attached a link to a photo showing the lifeboat davits.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/princes...8488/lightbox/

You can see that the davits extend all the way to the bottom of Dolphin deck and it appears they will be an obstruction from some Emerald deck balconies. It is unclear where the lifeboats will be located in relation to the top of the davits at this time. From other information it appears that the lifeboats may be entirely outside of the Emerald deck railing and many balconies may be looking over the tops of lifeboats or worse. We will need to wait for more information
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming Cruise: ???
Past Cruises: 11/16 - Pacific Princess - Adriatic & Aegean Connoisseur; 12/15 - Pacific Princess - 50th Anniversary Mexican Riviera; 2/15 - Crown Princess - 4 Day Coastal w/Santa Barbara; 09/14 - Regal Princess - Grand Med (Left cruise in Mykonos after 6 days due to family medical issue at home); 03/14 - Grand Princess - 10 Day Mexico from SF; 01/14 - Sapphire Princess - 4 Day Coastal w/Catalina; 06/13 - Emerald Princess - Baltic; 01/13 - Island Princess - Panama Canal; 09/12 - Coral Princess - Pacific Coastal; 09/12 - Golden Princess - Inside Passage (B2B Glacier Bay & Tracy Arm); 09/11 - Sapphire Princess - California Coastal; 04/11 - Sapphire Princess - Mexican Riviera; 08/10 - Coral Princess - Voyage of the Glaciers; 03/10 - Star Princess - Valparaiso to Buenos Aires (The Shortened Post Earthquake Cruise); 02/10 - Star Princess - Buenos Aires to Valparaiso around Cape Horn (the Chilean Earthquake Cruise); 10/09 - Golden Princess - Hawaii; 11/07 - Golden Princess - Mexican Riviera; 02/07 - Grand Princess - Western Caribbean from Galveston; 04/06 - Coral Princess - Panama Canal RT from FLL; 10/04 - Golden Princess - Southern Caribbean Explorer from San Juan' 05/02 - Carnival Fantasy - Bahamas (3 Night)
#6
Palm Harbor, FL
12,792 Posts
Joined May 2000
Originally posted by IECalCruiser
What you state does not appear to be true if you look at the construction photos. I have attached a link to a photo showing the lifeboat davits.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/princes...8488/lightbox/

You can see that the davits extend all the way to the bottom of Dolphin deck and it appears they will be an obstruction from some Emerald deck balconies. It is unclear where the lifeboats will be located in relation to the top of the davits at this time. From other information it appears that the lifeboats may be entirely outside of the Emerald deck railing and many balconies may be looking over the tops of lifeboats or worse. We will need to wait for more information
Thank you for the picture! It does appear that there could be major obstructions in relation to the balcony cabins on the Emerald Deck! I guess the description of "partially obstructed" is open to interpretation
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Linda
letue@aol.com

#7
Norfolk, UK
912 Posts
Joined Oct 2011
I don't mind waiting to see- I'm in a guarantee cabin and on a 7 day cruise to Iberia on a new ship.Even if all I see is orange-how bad can that be!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sailed:Sea Princess -Caribbean 2009,Sea Princess -Caribbean 2011,Grand Princess-Europe 2011,Caribbean Princess-Caribbean 2012 x2 ,Oceana- Atlantic Coast 2012 ,Grand Princess-Scandinavia 2012,Grand Princess-Europe 2012,Oceana-Europe 2012,Ventura -Europe 2012,Golden Princess-Hawaii 2013,Aurora-Europe 2013,Royal Princess-Maiden Iberia -2013 ,Crown Princess-Fjords-2013,Crown Princess-Europe 2013,Oceana-Iberia 2014, Emerald Princess-Europe 2014, Emerald Princess-Mediterranean 2014, Oriana-Europe 2014, Caribbean Princess-Caribbean 2015, island Princess-Europe-2015, Oceana-Canaries-2015, Emerald Princess-Europe- 2016,
#8
The Finger Lakes
2,062 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
Can anyone update what they saw on the partially obstructed views on Emerald deck?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
08-15-2012 Island Princess First trip to Alaska, 2nd cruise ever
NCL Spirit Feb, 6, 2016 Caribbean cruise



contact : madreblair@aol.com




#10
The Finger Lakes
2,062 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
Originally posted by KruzPrincess
Here's a link to another thread that I started on the subject. There are some links to pictures in some of the posts.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1808632

Thank you!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
08-15-2012 Island Princess First trip to Alaska, 2nd cruise ever
NCL Spirit Feb, 6, 2016 Caribbean cruise



contact : madreblair@aol.com