Bit of a blog – Legend of the Seas - Ultimate Scandinavia & Russia – June 18th 2014

I started writing this 4 weeks out. Am a bit Legend obsessed right now and grabbing webcam pics of her on her current Norway cruise and posting them on the roll call. There IS a plot but I’ve lost it.

I’ll be holed up in my hotel (the Bethel Sǿmandsjhem) in Copenhagen by the time you read this. Here’s the itinerary.

Itinerary.jpg

Looks like this :

CCmap.jpg

I was originally booked to be in St Petersburg 3 years ago for a special birthday but had to cancel (impending grandmotherhood) so when I decided to base my future cruises on itinerary criteria this one came first. Travelling solo again I have excursions to St Petersburg and Moscow with roll call members in a group with Alla Tours; I’ve one RCI excursion booked in Riga and am going alone to Berlin from Warnemϋnde.

Got a cheap(£30) upgrade from an originally booked inside to an oceanview. Those who know me will assert my obsession for checking on price drops! First time in an OV on a big ship. With a port intensive itinerary I’m so happy to be onboard. Have pre-ordered the Royal Replenish Drinks Package; bizarrely there was a price drop with the package so I booked it! Do love my specialty coffee and fresh orange juice in the morning. This will also be my first cruise on a ship with a Diamond Lounge.

I’m gluten intolerant. I SHOULD avoid the stuff. A recent close encounter with a regular pizza was a BIG mistake. I had a fabulous experience on Freedom MTD with their GF offerings. I just yearn for gluten sometimes. Still not decided whether to go GF this cruise or to self-avoid without creating THAT conversation. I’ve dining at Izumi, The Chef’s Table and Chops reserved.

I have to thank Danish Viking on the ‘Wonderful Copenhagen’ board and Desdichado62 on the ‘Do you need advice about Stockholm’ board. Soooo much useful and extremely patient advice!

The flight from Heathrow was uneventful. I booked Business Class with Avios (air miles) and made use of the Lounge.

WP_000863.jpg

We sat on the runway for a while.... not much to see other than other planes queueing.

WP_000864.jpg

Things have changed with the inflight route tracker. Very interesting graphics.

WP_000866.jpg

They served afternoon tea!! So I didn't tell them about the GF thing. Have you eaten GF airplane food? There was also a scone and jam..... fresh and delicious.

WP_000867.jpg

WP_000871.jpg

Edited by NorbertsNiece

Have a great trip! Looking forward to hearing alll about it. We did the Baltic 2 years ago and loved every port. Alla Tours are fantastic- just make sure you've had breakfast because almost the first stop on both mornings involves vodka...;) Enjoy the Diamond Lounge- we were on Legend for the Norway run last month having just turned Diamond - hope Sacha has fixed the coffee machine! Hope to meet you in person on Oasis in September!

My bag was one of the first out..... found the Information desk easily in the arrivals hall and purchased a 48 hour Copenhagen card. I got on the wrong train!! Instead of taking the Metro to Kongens Nytorv I found myself on the 'S' train..... lots of helpful advice and I managed a change of train without difficulty.

Thing to note about The Bethel. There are stairs up to reception. Fortunately someone saw my plight and carried the case up for me (I just want to add here that I did not achieve the 'heavy bag' label this trip!!) It's on Nyhavn.... right opposite all the wonderful restaurants..... and on the water. My room is...... small..... clean but small.... cannot open my case out easily. Single bed with view over the water. Tea and coffee on tap in the lobby, no decaf though :( It's fine.

I met up with Nancy from the roll call..... we have also been talking on FB for months!! She is from Illinois and a Diamond C&A member as am I. We run into some other roll call people in the lobby! There must be quite a few of us here. They recommend the Heering for dinner. It's really local. A really good recommendation. I ate some bread. I nearly swooned was soooo good.

Not everything on the menu is Danish. It's more of a European Bistro.

Having probs with pics now..... sigh.....

Edited by NorbertsNiece

I'm a bit spoilt when it comes to hotels..... in my youth I stayed in some very suspect youth hostels in different countries but the longer in the tooth I've become I've evolved into something less easy going..... I am learning to adjust. The hotel is fine. It's clean and well located. It's late here now and my window is open yet there's little noise from across the water nearby. This is a basic room. Will take pics of breakfast tomorrow.

This pic is from the website and is almost exactly what I have..... there is a desk and chair to the right with a TV up on the wall in the corner facing my bed as opposed to over it. I'm listening to internet radio :/

Bethe.jpg

Edited by NorbertsNiece

Linda, glade you are doing this like you did on out Adventure TA last year. Was hoping you would be on the Oasis TA in Oct, you still have time to jump on, some really good prices now they have come down.

Edited by Spring

>SNIP<

This pic is from the website and is almost exactly what I have..... there is a desk and chair to the right with a TV up on the wall in the corner facing my bed as opposed to over it. I'm listening to internet radio :/

Just look at it this way. . .It's just a room for the night. It looks clean though.

I can't wait till you board ! Thanks for the "LIVE" reports. . .

Radio

;);)

Hey Linda, been waiting for this thread to start. Will travel with you and enjoy all of the sights. Will also be waiting for food reports and your challenge with the ships chefs. Keep it coming.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We will be sailing on the Legend on June 29th. Was hoping you could tell me, once you board of course, if they are showing the World Cup games on board. Thanks in advance. Have a great cruise.

Will let you know. What I've read on the boards is that matches are definitely being shown on other ships. You telling me that the footie goes on for 2 weeks? And more? Sigh. No getting away from it. I do hope they don't use the BBC feed..... apparently the commentary for the England game was dire.

Woken by seagulls 5am. That’s 4am at home. Paying a bit of a price for falling off the Gluten wagon yesterday. Will take care today.

Waving to friends old and new who’ve said hi here…..

Edited by NorbertsNiece