Baring nearly all

balf

For those who don't wander far away from here, there is a big discussion on the P&O board about the subject of topless sunbathing.

Apparently permitted in certain areas on certain ships.

What's the feeling, do we want it on Cunard, could the new demographics want it any time in the future.

Personally I am more concerned about what folk wear rather than what they don't, old men in speedos, I really have to look away at times.

David.

I am not sure that there are rules on Cunard,maybe others do.

I do agree that, taking into account the average age on Cunard, it might not be a pleasant sight.Of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder.I totally agree about men in Speedos,usually accompanied by a corporation.

Rodger.

Considering the increased rates of skin cancer, sunbathing (topless or not) is supposedly waning in popularity - but if people want to increase their risk by exposing even more skin, that would be their choice. C'est la Vie. -S.

It's nothing new.

In 1999 I spotted a well known (female) TV presenter, regular passenger and guest speaker, sunbathing topless on the Sun Deck on QE2. :eek:

Fewer private balconies in those days and considerably lower risk of ending up all over anti-social media.

Regards,

Fifteen years or so ago, we looked for a late, late cruise in August and the only option was the Island Escape, a converted car ferry with a very Butlins style of life.

At one port we didn't fancy getting off so went to spend the day sunbathing up by the funnel where it was almost deserted. Except for the ship's entertainers, including the dancers who were making sure of getting a very even tan with no white lines, if you get my drift. My early teenage son thought all his birthdays had come at once.

At the other end of the scale, we did a Cuanrd cruise where every morning a gentleman of about my age and his wife would enter the restaurant for breakfast straight from the gym, dripping with perspiration and in her case, very skimpily clad. She appeared to either have changed little since their wedding day thirty years ago or else had once been a good friend of his daughter. A lady at a nearby table complained to the Maître d' that it was distracting her husband and there was a strong possibility of him choking on his porridge. That's as close as I ever want to get to topless bathing on a Cunard ship. I enjoy my food too much to risk any distraction.

Edited by Chunky2219
typo

I remember my one and only Carnival trip and the only place an adult could get away from the screams of the children was on the deck designated for adult topless bathing. It was greatly crowded and there were only a few Entertainment staff there doing the topless bathing. (and entertaining I might add).

I have actually seen topless bathing on QM2 on two different trips and no one said a thing to them not even the staff. The only person getting some gruff from the passengers was a man who had on a THONG and was sunning his cheeks a bit to much. :eek::eek::eek:

A lady at a nearby table complained to the Maître d' that it was distracting her husband and there was a strong possibility of him choking on his porridge.

As hilarious as that is 😂(oh, I would have loved to have been there for that), I guess that could stand as a valid complaint.

For those who don't wander far away from here, there is a big discussion on the P&O board about the subject of topless sunbathing.

Apparently permitted in certain areas on certain ships.

What's the feeling, do we want it on Cunard, could the new demographics want it any time in the future.

Personally I am more concerned about what folk wear rather than what they don't, old men in speedos, I really have to look away at times.

David.

As Bugs Bunny once said: "She may not be very pretty now, but she was somebody's baby once".

On one of our Caribbean Cruises we had the opportunity to experience a commentary lunch in the Todd English Restaurant due to our World Club Level.

The Todd English Restaurant is located on Deck 8 Aft with a small pool area.

Well we selected lunch time to dine. Since it was an immaculate day, many people stayed outside. The waiter was nice to accommodate us with a window table where others were sitting also.

The one good thing with this restaurant was the windows were one sided viewing outwards not to disturb your dining.

Well to our amazement the views were very interesting and a bit shocking. Yes, there were people of all ages, sexes, colors and yes shapes and sizes.

WOW what a sight! Men of considerable weight yes wearing Speedos, Women of various sizes wearing bathing wear (one/two pieces) that may have been needed several years ago and not realized if fitted for this cruise.

Yes, we were able to eat and didn't move our table. But what a sight, what a view..

I voted for the use of your private balcony or very way out of the way area which I wouldn't even be able to suggest where.

Granted use of a private balcony can not assure privacy if people are looking overboard at other sights and view the location.

Maybe this should be left for area of beaches where the ship lands for this type of bathing..

Edited by BklynBoy8

I remember when I was aboard the QE2, I saw that a husband & wife were over by the outdoor pool which is located at the QE2's stern. Anyway the husband stood up and took off his clothes and jumped into the pool in his underwear which was a colored brief underwear. I could tell that it was a colored brief underwear and not a speedo because a speedo would not have a white waistband sewn on the top of the garment. And I thought that was very low class for anyone to jump into the pool in their underwear :eek: If this man wanted to go swim in the pool is it too much to ask that they wear swimming trunks in the pool? Regards,Jerry

Certain other lines (two that I know of) allow it on some itineraries by allocating a area of the very top deck on sea days. I haven't bothered to see how well patronised it was but definitely saw some partaking of the naturist method before realising and turning around. They had a small sign that had blown over to warn people, IMO the sign should have been fixed and much larger.

Edited by MicCanberra

Just off a QM2 TA west bound

the high temp was 61f from the time we left Southampton 'til NYC ..... very little worry about too many fried egg sightings . . .

{when I worked on Miami's South Beach ... when we went for lunch time runs we would note the 'fried eggs' . . . . aka topless . . . big day, low day, no day}