10 Best Luxury Cruise Ships

LauraS

Have to respectfully agree with wripro as I do not consider Viking Star or the river cruise line to fit the definition of luxury. And, IMO, Berlitz must have their heads in the sand. While Hapag-Lloyd's MS Europa may be a hit in Europe and in German speaking countries, it is almost unknown in North America (plus, unlike all of the airlines in the world and most cruise lines, English is not their first language which is a deal breaker for us).

I do agree with Cruise Critic on the rest of their choices and do not really care how old the article is as it is still relevant.

The one thing that I keep hoping will happen on the "Luxury" board is to allow Hapag-Lloyd to have it's own board. Whether one agrees or disagrees that it is a luxury cruise line, IMO, the many posts are making the luxury board crowded and difficult.

Just my humble opinion.

And, IMO, Berlitz must have their heads in the sand. While Hapag-Lloyd's MS Europa may be a hit in Europe and in German speaking countries, it is almost unknown in North America (plus, unlike all of the airlines in the world and most cruise lines, English is not their first language which is a deal breaker for us).

I do agree with Cruise Critic on the rest of their choices and do not really care how old the article is as it is still relevant.

The one thing that I keep hoping will happen on the "Luxury" board is to allow Hapag-Lloyd to have it's own board. Whether one agrees or disagrees that it is a luxury cruise line, IMO, the many posts are making the luxury board crowded and difficult.

Just my humble opinion.

I would suggest that the fact that a ship, or a product, is hardly known in a particular country does not impact on it's inherent quality.

It is that inherent quality that is being reviewed by Berlitz.

If that quality is determined to be higher than that of other more well known brands then so be it.

In any event, Hapag-Lloyd make it quite clear that the Europa is specifically for the German speaking market.

The International market is served by the Europa 2.

On my last cruise on the Europa 2 there was a group of American and Australian passengers, as well as a group of American travel Agents, and a contributor, Gary Walther, to Forbes.com who wrote a series of articles on the Europa 2.

https://muckrack.com/gary-walther/articles

My comment on the age of the Cruise Critic article was in response to it's introduction:

'Check out this brand-new Luxury cruising article from Cruise Critic:'

which was clearly incorrect.

As for Hapag-Lloyd having it's own board, in the past I have sent e-mails to Cruise Critic requesting it, and on each occasion my e-mails have been ignored.

wripro - I think we've been saying the same things for years. BTW, I couldn't find out by Googling where the author of these books (that I tend to not agree with) Douglas Ward lives (or was born). Just curious.

English Voyager - Hapag-Lloyd, IMO, deserves its own board (it probably is a luxury cruise line - that is not why I made the post above). This board used to be for general luxury cruise line questions and now seems to be inundated with posts specific to this cruise line.

wripro - I think we've been saying the same things for years. BTW, I couldn't find out by Googling where the author of these books (that I tend to not agree with) Douglas Ward lives (or was born). Just curious.

English Voyager - Hapag-Lloyd, IMO, deserves its own board (it probably is a luxury cruise line - that is not why I made the post above). This board used to be for general luxury cruise line questions and now seems to be inundated with posts specific to this cruise line.

HL most definitely is a high luxury line. We post here about it as there is nowhere else to post, and I hate having HL posts buried amongst industry advertisements. Other lines already have their own spots. I propose HL get its own forum, and posts about other lines go to their own already designated corners :)

TC2,

HL is definitely a luxury line and belongs on this board no matter who its primary clientele is. But you and I are on the same page as to all these other non luxury lines which seems to make it on here and are falsely compared to true luxury lines. Again, I think it's a matter of revenue to CC as they probably advertise heavily in order to seem like luxury to those who don't know the difference.

TC2,

HL is definitely a luxury line and belongs on this board no matter who its primary clientele is. But you and I are on the same page as to all these other non luxury lines which seems to make it on here and are falsely compared to true luxury lines. Again, I think it's a matter of revenue to CC as they probably advertise heavily in order to seem like luxury to those who don't know the difference.

wripro - not disputing the fact that "HL" is a luxury line. My issue is that it invades the "luxury" board and should have their own board.

Agree about the non-luxury lines. For me, it is difficult to explain (for instance) that Oceania is not a luxury line by any definition (Frank Del

Rio, CEO of NCL agrees). IMO, putting premium-plus cruise lines with luxury cruise lines confuses more people than it helps!

English Voyager: Thanks so much for letting me know where Douglas Ward lives. I've Googled the information several times and now know that I probably did not get an answer since I live in the U.S. Now that I know, it makes some things clearer. IMO, a prolific U.S. author would not have the same opinions as a British author about "HL". And, a U.S. author would have different criteria when judging a U.S. based cruise line. Not saying that one is better than the other - just different (note: My understanding of the differences of how "Brits" think and how I think is based on the fact that I've been married to a Brit for 37 years:-)

Edited by Travelcat2

English Voyager: Thanks so much for letting me know where Douglas Ward lives. I've Googled the information several times and now know that I probably did not get an answer since I live in the U.S. Now that I know, it makes some things clearer. IMO, a prolific U.S. author would not have the same opinions as a British author about "HL". And, a U.S. author would have different criteria when judging a U.S. based cruise line. Not saying that one is better than the other - just different (note: My understanding of the differences of how "Brits" think and how I think is based on the fact that I've been married to a Brit for 37 years:-)

Travelcat2,

In the article to which I linked, Douglas Ward does state that in compiling a review, in order to make it as objective as possible, evaluations take into account over 400 separate items.

As for a US based author, Steven Stern produced the following summary which includes both the Europa, and Europa 2.

http://www.stevensterntravel.com/blogdetail.asp?ID=83

Travelcat2,

In the article to which I linked, Douglas Ward does state that in compiling a review, in order to make it as objective as possible, evaluations take into account over 400 separate items.

As for a US based author, Steven Stern produced the following summary which includes both the Europa, and Europa 2.

http://www.stevensterntravel.com/blogdetail.asp?ID=83

Thank you for linking that article. Unfortunately, I think less of Steven Stern than I do of Douglas Ward based on the article. Anyone that puts "HAVEN ON NORWEBIAN GETWAWAY,BREAKAWAY AND ESCAPE." (copy and pasted) in the luxury category loses me immediately. IMO, a small part of mainstream cruise line that happens to be more luxurious (and is generally not open to all passengers), does not make a ship "luxury" (or even "premium").

Based on what I've read and seen, I agree that Europa and Europa 2 are luxury cruise ships. Just wish they had their own board.

Thank you for linking that article. Unfortunately, I think less of Steven Stern than I do of Douglas Ward based on the article. Anyone that puts "HAVEN ON NORWEBIAN GETWAWAY,BREAKAWAY AND ESCAPE." (copy and pasted) in the luxury category loses me immediately. IMO, a small part of mainstream cruise line that happens to be more luxurious (and is generally not open to all passengers), does not make a ship "luxury" (or even "premium").

Based on what I've read and seen, I agree that Europa and Europa 2 are luxury cruise ships. Just wish they had their own board.

This is exactly why Cunard cannot be considered luxury despite the Grill categories.

TC2,

I wonder why CC does not simply start a new board for deluxe or sub luxury lines. That way one can compare apples to apples. not apples to watermelons.

Agreed--some cruise lines that are categorized as "Luxury Cruise" vary from white glove service to a more laid-back "casual luxury" such as SeaDream. I personally prefer the relaxed feel but still enjoy the impeccable service expected on a luxury cruise. :)

This is exactly why Cunard cannot be considered luxury despite the Grill categories.

i recently did a cruise in Queens Grill on Queen Victoria - despite the separate bar and the so called special items for that category i cannot qualify it as luxury.

the party for Grill passengers was far from exclusive ...nearly lukewarm drinks and canapes delivered to Grill cabins were horrible.

the cheese trolley in the QG was of supermarket level

my conclusion after this cruise : no more Cunard what is far from luxurious even in Grill degree