Civitevecchia Station

Tree11

Hi

I need to confirm the correct name of the train station at the port of Civitavecchia. When I type in Civitavecchia (on trenitalia site) I get multiple options. Help :o

Doing first cruise in May, " 12 Day Mediterranean Dreams" , Venice to Rome. Need to organise train to Levanto after cruise to see Cinque Terre.

Also anyone know how long it will take to disembark

Thanks

Wendy :)

Thank you all.

Was looking to book tickets yesterday but some seem sold out already.:o

I also believe that timetables change during the year. Exactly when is this ?

My travel date is 4 june 2017. Should I take the tickets left now or wait til there is a new timetable.

Hope that makes sense. I am still trying to make sense of system but don't want to risk missing tickets.

Also we will have 1 suitcase each plus carry on. Will I be better booking first class for more room ??

Have read about stairs at train station. Weight training begins tomorrow !!;p

They may be slow to make booking available. According to the Man in Seat 61: "Booking usually opens 120 days before departure. Looking too far ahead is the most common mistake made by overseas visitors planning a big trip many months ahead. Europeans tend to book train travel only days or weeks ahead, not months." http://seat61.com/Italy-trains.htm#How%20to%20use%20Trenitalia.com

Edited by whogo

Thank you all.

Was looking to book tickets yesterday but some seem sold out already.:o

I also believe that timetables change during the year. Exactly when is this ?

My travel date is 4 june 2017. Should I take the tickets left now or wait til there is a new timetable.

Hope that makes sense. I am still trying to make sense of system but don't want to risk missing tickets.

Also we will have 1 suitcase each plus carry on. Will I be better booking first class for more room ??

Have read about stairs at train station. Weight training begins tomorrow !!;p

What kind of train are you trying to book? The local ("regionale") train tickets are only available a short time before travel. On these trains (the most frequent between Rome and Civitavecchia) there are no assigned seats.

If you're looking at a higher category of train (such as the IC or Frecce trains), seats are reserved and you can buy tickets further (but not too far) in advance.

There's not a huge advantage to traveling first or second class, especially for short trips. There's not appreciably more room for luggage. Bigger suitcases often will need to go in the luggage racks at the ends of the train car.

Thanks cruisemom42

On the trenitalia site I am looking at the intercity 510 Civitavecchia to La Spezia ( 49.80 Euro), then regionale 24460 La Spezia to Levanto (8.00 Euro) for 2 people. It is pricing both legs of journey so I am assuming it tickets both.

Thanks for tip that not much advantage to travel first class, but it seems to be showing no 2nd class options. Unless i am reading it wrong.

Back to have another look.

We just waited until we arrived. We had a few days in Rome pre cruise so just used the machines at the central station a day before. If you do it that was be careful when you booked. We booked two tickets at the same time and it put us in two separate cabins. We had the option to pick seats upon booking; just didn't realize that's what it meant.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks cruisemom42

On the trenitalia site I am looking at the intercity 510 Civitavecchia to La Spezia ( 49.80 Euro), then regionale 24460 La Spezia to Levanto (8.00 Euro) for 2 people. It is pricing both legs of journey so I am assuming it tickets both.

Thanks for tip that not much advantage to travel first class, but it seems to be showing no 2nd class options. Unless i am reading it wrong.

Back to have another look.

Okay, I see what you're doing. I thought you were going Civitavecchia to Rome. A couple of thoughts:

A knowledgeable poster on the Italy forums has said several times that the IC trains are one instance where it's worth getting first class as there's a real difference in the carts. So consider that.

I see your route. When you are on the Trenitalia site and your route is displayed, click the red plus in the bottom right hand corner of your specific choice and then all of the ticket options will be shown. Looks like there are choices in first class including economy and super economy although it says there are only a few seats left at those prices.

The economy tickets do sell out on the trains when they are offered, as they are a good value. However, if you are in any doubt as to whether you'll make the train or whether your plans will change, do not purchase as there is no refund and they can't be used on another train.