New to iPhone

one9marine

ok, just got my 1st smart phone (so far no smarter, oh well):D. Anyway you accomplished iPhone peeps, what are apps that will be useful to me traveling and sailing?

Thanx in advance. I'm an old dog so probably will need my grandson to decipher for me.

First thing to do is enable the phone for WiFi calling. This will enable you to make/receive voice calls and send/receive texts over the ship's WiFi with no charges from the cell carrier.

ok, just got my 1st smart phone (so far no smarter, oh well):D. Anyway you accomplished iPhone peeps, what are apps that will be useful to me traveling and sailing?

Thanx in advance. I'm an old dog so probably will need my grandson to decipher for me.

Check with your cell phone provider and see if they have a beginners course. My 80 yr old Mom recently got an iphone and she went to a free class that helped her a lot. This was through Verizon. Having your grandson help is a good idea too, that was another tactic my Mom used too. I will say, she is glad she made the swap and was able to use the Royal IQ app on Anthem and is currently using the NCL app on Epic.

I would set up wifi calling, the find my iphone app, google maps instead of the apple maps app, the apps for your airlines of choice and hotels of choice and flightaware to name a few.

Apps I downloaded useful for traveling: TripAdvisor (for checking out hotels, restaurants, and activities in destination sites), Royal (a Royal Caribbean app (which I have not used recently)), Royal iQ (a newer RCI app (it can be used once on a ship but not before)), Mobile Pass (for use as a passport (I have not used it yet; I read about it on an RCI thread and will use it for my next cruise (but will bring a regular passport as well)), Packing Pro (for creating a packing list; I do not use this app--I just make Word lists, but you might find it helpful), MapQuest (for directions when driving), and Google Maps (for directions and locating restaurants, hotels, etc.).

Two more great apps for cruisers:

Ship Mate is a free app that's loaded with goodies. You can register your cruises and it will open to a countdown to your next cruise; view deck plans and even download them to the app for offline use; set up cruise price alerts; and much, much more.

The Cruise Critic Forums app is good for mobile use over using a browser on the small screen. Plus you can upload full size photos from your camera roll without the need to host them elsewhere.

Make sure you put your phone in airplane mode before enabling wifi when cruising or you will be in for a huge phone bill. :eek:

~ Judy

Interesting. Is this Royal or Royal IQ app on all ships? What does it do? Can you use it free even if you do not have ship WIFI or do you have to pay for WIFI for that? Normally I am unplugged on the ship, but we found Disney's app extremely useful for scheduling and keeping track of character meets.

Interesting. Is this Royal or Royal IQ app on all ships? What does it do? Can you use it free even if you do not have ship WIFI or do you have to pay for WIFI for that? Normally I am unplugged on the ship, but we found Disney's app extremely useful for scheduling and keeping track of character meets.

The Royal IQ app only works on Quantum class ships and Harmony. It shows the Cruise Compass, allows you to make and your reservations, and will text between other Royal IQ users for a free of $7.95 per cruise.

TripIt (travel organizer); myusps (see what mail is delivered to your home each day while you're away); hotel tonight (in case you're stuck somewhere); google translate; maplets (off line maps); connect@sea (or your ship's equivalent); mobile passport (though NOT an actual passport); .....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

TripIt (travel organizer); myusps (see what mail is delivered to your home each day while you're away); hotel tonight (in case you're stuck somewhere); google translate; maplets (off line maps); connect@sea (or your ship's equivalent); mobile passport (though NOT an actual passport); .....

You got to those before I could... I use TripIt Pro (a few more features that I'm willing to pay for), LOVE Google translate (the feature where you point the phone at a sign/menu, and it translates is great), hotel tonight (yep, good for emergencies). I've got the apps for my hotel affinities (*wood, Hilton, Marriott, Hyatt), and airline (Delta). For traveling in Italy, I have the Trenitalia app (nice to be able to buy on it instead of waiting inline at a kiosk). Yelp, because I never know when and where I need to find a restaurant or a bar in a new location. If your financial institution has an app, it's good to have. I also have App Box Pro: a nifty app that I've had since my old iTouch. It has applets like a QR code reader, pedometer, currency converter, tip calculator, ruler, level, magnifier... Kind of a one-stop miscellaneous shop. I've got Pandora, because I like random music once in while ;-)

don't worry about being late to the smartphone game - I just gave up my Motorola Razor last summer for my iPhone SE!

To use your phone for WIFI calling don't you need to have a internet package from the ship?

Correct, but depending on the ship and how many calls and texts are made, that could be much less expensive than Cellular at Sea,

To use your phone for WIFI calling don't you need to have a internet package from the ship?

Yes and it needs not to block the function. Some ships throttle wifi and/or block certain apps (e.g., FaceTime). BTW, voice calling uses about 1mb per minute (per AT&T).

TripAdvisor - To look up reviews of places before going to them.

Uber - To call for a ride when I need to go somewhere.

TripIt - To organize my entire trip, keep track of dates/places to visit/reservation numbers, etc

Groupon - To see if there are any deals of any places I plan to visit while I am in an area.

Google Maps - Directions to places

Pandora / Sirius - For music when I am in other cities. Most cars now sync with your phone.

Mobile Passport - To expedite US Customs

Lookout - Mobile security plus if my phone is lost or stolen, so I know where it's at.

DropBox - To keep all of my photos in, in case something were to happen to my phone.

Carnival Hub - For everything Carnival on a ship

Genius Scan - To scan any documents / receipts I may need. I don't carry around papers, I am digital.

Directv - To watch my DVR shows in any downtime I may have.

Home Security - To monitor my house while I am gone.

Learn how to turn off Cellular Data, turn on airplane mode, turn in wifi while in airplane mode.

Learn how to use a portable battery. This has saved us more than once. A few cruises ago we forgot our USB plug at home. USB plugs are 110/220 so you'll only need a plug adapter, depending on the ship.

Yes, for on the ship, but it works great in ports, too. Just find a wifi spot anywhere, and as long as your phone is in airplane mode and the wifi calling is on, you can call away with no charges.

It's a great feature. I use it all the time when cruising.

Great question. We are frequent cruisers (all over the world) and also do a lot of independent travel outside the USA (usually in Europe). When we got our iPhone (we bought an unlocked iPhone 6 from an Apple store) the big question was "which provider" would best serve our needs. After some research and soul searching we realized that T-Mobile was our best option (by far). This decision was based, somewhat, on advice we received from a few crew members while on a cruise in Europe. For $50 a month (plus the usual taxes) we get phone, text and 2 gigs of date...which will work just about anywhere in the world without any additional fees. We have often posted here on CC that T-Mobile simply works. You can be in Russia, France, Canada, Mexico, Faroe Islands, etc. and it just works! If you need more data, another $10 (which you can do on a monthly basis) will get you another 4 Gigs! And that data works just about everywhere...although it might slow to 3G in some parts of Europe.

As to apps, we use our iPhone as a GPS in Europe (we rent cars). There are also some great weather apps (we love weather underground) and the usual airline apps. Google Translate is a great app for those who travel in foreign lands (it will translate most languages).

Hank

I second the suggestion of ShipMate. You can track your upcoming cruises, see reviews and pics, track price drops, and look at deck maps.

I also like TripIt a lot for travel.

Don't forget to turn off your cellular data at sea.

I'll second the T-Mo advice. I've had T-Mo since before it was T-Mo here in the US. And, their new 'round the world accessibility is wonderful.

One person mentioned their DirectTV app; I have the Xfinity app so I can watch TV in a pinch. Comes in handy when you have a flight delay!

Another vote for TripIt, and Ship Mate. I also love the XE currency exchange app. If you update the exchange rates when you have free/cheap wifi, it will still do easy, quick conversions for you when you're not connected. Very handy when getting ready to bargain in a shop.

Yes, for on the ship, but it works great in ports, too. Just find a wifi spot anywhere, and as long as your phone is in airplane mode and the wifi calling is on, you can call away with no charges.

It's a great feature. I use it all the time when cruising.

This is something I never knew. Thanks so much. :)

• 11 months later...
I have an I phone 6S , Verizon is my company. So if I disable data, turn on airplane mode and enable wifi will I be able to text and make calls with out being charged? Thanks for your help..

Yes, if you have WiFi calling enabled. You have to set up WiFi Calling the first time when you are connected to the cellular network. Once its set up, then test it at home by following the instructions you listed above, except you can skip the "disable data" part. Once you turn on Airplane Mode, your cellular data is automatically disabled.

Yes, if you have WiFi calling enabled. You have to set up WiFi Calling the first time when you are connected to the cellular network. Once its set up, then test it at home by following the instructions you listed above, except you can skip the "disable data" part. Once you turn on Airplane Mode, your cellular data is automatically disabled.

Of course, the ship wifi access to the internet either has to be paid for or provided as a perk. Also, OP needs to ascertain if wifi calling (like FaceTime or Skype) may be throttled by the ship.

On shore, "free wifi" can be one of the costliest things you've never intended to buy. The Rossen Report just did a second segment of hacking (#1 was on cruise ports and #2 was on beach resorts. Clicking on a wifi network ashore has zero guarantee that your phone/laptop/etc will not be an open book to a hacker. Google/watch these reports.