Wifi Video Camera

sdairgirl

I am taking a cruise on MSC's new ship, Seaside in January of 2018. Can anyone tell me if they have had success using wifi video cameras to keep an eye on kids while in the room? I found a thread from last year but nothing updated.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I used a portable wifi router to set up my own network on a Celebrity cruise last december, the device was an older version of this:

https://www.amazon.com/HooToo-Wireless-Performance-10400mAh-External/dp/B00RVIGY1I/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

Battery operated so it does not need to be plugged in an allows you to connect your wireless items without depending on the shop's network. I experimented with using it to allow access to a Chromecast device (No, I normally don't geek out on a cruise) and it worked well.

I used a portable wifi router to set up my own network on a Celebrity cruise last december, the device was an older version of this:

https://www.amazon.com/HooToo-Wireless-Performance-10400mAh-External/dp/B00RVIGY1I/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

Battery operated so it does not need to be plugged in an allows you to connect your wireless items without depending on the shop's network. I experimented with using it to allow access to a Chromecast device (No, I normally don't geek out on a cruise) and it worked well.

Thanks for this info!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Interesting: "Also can bridge an existing wireless network"... I wonder if that means that this can be used to violate the "one device at a time" rule that some cruise lines have for their unlimited services, and if so whether it'll eventually cause those cruise lines to go back to metered service. Though it would only work from within the cabin, it would work from within the cabin. (I suppose it could be NAT-aware, though. No idea.)

Incidentally, if the previous poster has a separate micro USB power source (PC USB port, USB adapter, or power bank), then there is a less expensive device that does what the previous poster needed:

https://www.amazon.com/HooToo-Wireless-Performance-TripMate-Hotspot/dp/B00HZWOQZ6

This has the travel router, but does not have the external battery pack travel charger capability.

Edited by bUU

Interesting: "Also can bridge an existing wireless network"... I wonder if that means that this can be used to violate the "one device at a time" rule that some cruise lines have for their unlimited services, and if so whether it'll eventually cause those cruise lines to go back to metered service. Though it would only work from within the cabin, it would work from within the cabin. (I suppose it could be NAT-aware, though. No idea.)

Incidentally, if the previous poster has a separate micro USB power source (PC USB port, USB adapter, or power bank), then there is a less expensive device that does what the previous poster needed:

https://www.amazon.com/HooToo-Wireless-Performance-TripMate-Hotspot/dp/B00HZWOQZ6

This has the travel router, but does not have the external battery pack travel charger capability.

^This is exactly why I bought my HooToo - for those annoying hotels etc. which charge by device. Less hassle than bridging with Bluetooth between phones, laptops etc. While I've found it works superbly within a room - even a large one - the lack of external antennae means the range is limited, especially through walls. It will be challenging to maintain a strong signal - if you're in the cabin nextdoor or across the hall hopefully good enough but unlikely in the extreme that you could be partying in the bars and still keeping an eye on your offspring back in the cabin...