Posted June 2nd, 2008, 11:58 AM
Last edited by n2cruisin2; June 2nd, 2008 at 12:05 PM
Generally, we don't cruise very often--though we would like to, so we don't have any "points or status" with any ONE cruise line. I'm envious of those who have the coupons, the free upgrades, the perks and I also applaud you for having them.
We always have a good time on our cruises even though we don't spend a "lot" of money on the ship itself. Our last cruise was a long one where we paid a hefty amount for the trip and we splurged for a simple balcony--I wasn't going to go through the Canal with anything less--.
Our list of savings include:
1. No art auctions
2. No soda cards--the tea, punch, lemonade, and water are just fine
3. Book independent excursions away from the ship as much as reasonably possible, though some ports-of-call warrant the protection of booking with them.
4. At one port-of-call, we stayed on the ship and just enjoyed the quiet.
5. If I use the spa treatments at all, it's on a special.
6. Speciality occasions and Daily Specials for the extra drinks.
7. Bring on water (12 pack) for excursions
8. Bingo--ah, maybe once (for the big money or free cruise)
9. Not a big gambler or slot machine person. Want to spend my money on something else.
10. Laundry can wait until I get home. I purchase new undergarments before we leave and toss the old undergarments along the way.
11. Avoid the "mall" onboard. The prices aren't that much of a savings to what? save on the taxes? The shirts, blouses, purses, shoes, even the suntan lotion are inflated to name a few items. And most of the clothing they do have onboard for sale are in sizes I haven't seen in a VERY, very long time. LOL
12. Purchase a photo or two, if it's exceptionally good. Most aren't.
13. Speciality restaurant - last cruise we got talked into going to one and we'll do that again at least once on our next trip.
14. Don't really need to purchase any of the way-too-caffeinated coffee; the coffee provided around the ship is just fine.
15. Ice cream--my downfall, though I do limit how much I eat of it.
16. Always tip the staff especially for anyone who isn't someone we've been assigned to tip. This last cruise, we ate almost everyday up where the buffets are, had the same server who went the extra mile for us, made coffee the way my hubby wanted, knew our name, and watched over us. He never solicitated for the tip, not once. However, he did earn it.
17. Purchased the internet package that would be most economical to us. When we left the ship, we had 4 minutes left after starting with over 4 hours. I would blog daily our trip and answer personal emails (typed beforehand on the personal computer, then cut/pasted to site)-from our children only, then downloaded pictures to MySpace that would be of interest to the family, which took the most time.
Note: We are set to private on our MySpace page so no one but who we are familiar will be able to peek at us. The kids really got excited about our communication and pictures. Well worth it. The kids often remarked they felt like they were on the cruise with us.
Our last ship/sail card was just over a grand--included prepaid tips for the assigned wait service, which totalled 1/3 of the statement, a few drinks, speciality dinner for two, internet package, a spa special, bingo, couple "mall" specials that were indeed a very good price, a couple ship excursions, and photos including the dvd of trip--no way to photo lapse the Panama Canal like they could. 15 days, $1030 on ship....not bad.
****** Future Cruises
Disney Magic - 5 day Western Cozumel 01/24/16
Disney Magic - 5 day Western Grand Cayman 01/29/16
***** Past Cruises
Disney Fantasy 7 day Eastern Caribbean 12/14
Disney Dream 4 day Bahamas 10/11
Disney Magic - 7 day Western Carribean - 10/2009
Royal Caribbean Liberty of the Seas - 7 day Western Caribbean - 10/2008
Celebrity Millennium - 15 Day Panama Canal - 04/2008
Carnival Spirit - 12 day Hawaii - 04/2003
NCL Norway - 7 day Eastern Carribean -01/1998
Carnival Carnivale - 5 day Bahama - 04/1989
Premier Starship Royale - 3 day Bahama - 01/1987