Are ships not sailing at full capacity?

JudithLynne

My husband and I are seasoned cruisers.

We are going to be on the Pacific Princess one month from today (Alaska). This ship is not full! And this is a small ship!

There are cabins available in every category except suite. There are several cabins available in mini-suites. We have an OV cabin and are listed as “will accept an upgrade.”

Our last cruise, also Alaska, was in Aug. 2008 on HAL and the ship was filled.

I am curious to hear from those of you that are recent cruisers (or going to cruise in the near future), is this typical for ships in these times to not fill up? It has been many years since we have been on a ship that wasn’t full to capacity with a waiting list.

Very interesting……

Judith

No, not typical. Cruises to Alaska haven't been selling well due to the law passed in Alaska a couple of years ago which added a per-person head tax of $50 and additional charges to the cruiseline for each sailing, all of which increase the cost of cruising to Alaska. This is the reason why RCCL, Princess, HAL and other cruiselines have reduced the number of ships or sailings in Alaska for 2010. By decreasing capacity, it's easier for them to fill the ships. Of course, this means millions of $$ less for Alaska tourism but hey, the law was voted in by the people so they can't whine or complain after the fact.

As the sailing date approaches, Princess will begin to send out flash promotions to travel agents, past passengers etc. to entice folks to book the sailing. You'll probably get a nice upgrade and they'll be able to sell your cabin for less than you paid. Keep your fingers crossed! :)

Alaska is an expensive market. The cruise is more. The shore excursions are very pricey. If folks are watching their dollars, they are probably opting for a less expensive cruise.

I have been watching that Pacific Princess cruise drop in price for a while now. If we didn't have two cruises already booked, I would love to do that one.

Cheers, Denise

sailing on CB May 3rd and know that ours is sold out and so is the week before and after ours is sold out. but could be cause she will be out of commission for 2 wks this mo. being used in Trinidad for a political summit.

We sail in 9 days on the 14 day Panama to LA. It is not full but a lot of wait-listed. This cruise is also a 18 day and a 4 day. Our BA has been wait-listed for sometime and now BB and BC are waitlisted. The 18 day has BA,BB.BC and BD wait-listed. There are still some minis open. Just today Princess transfer 4 18 day balcony cabins to the 14 day list. And put it back on a discount TA list. This is a interesting cruise (3 in one) to watch. Princess keeps moving cabins between the 18 and 14 day.

We leave on the Star for Alaska on May 17th and there are cabins left in all categories (suite, mini, balcony, ocean view - obstructed and non, and insides. In fact only a handful of the individual levels are waitlisted. We have a cat BA balcony and would love it if Princess decided that they wanted to move us up to a Mini or better, but I am not holding my breath. So far prices have only gone up and up since we booked and we have not seen a decrease at all.

Just go the find cruise and log on just like you are going to book the cruise.

The cruise will come up and you can click all of the kinds of cabins and see what is available or waitlisted

Thanks. Just looking quickly, there are no balconies, mini-suites or suites available. I didn't dig anymore so I guess we're not full yet.

I have friends and neighbors that work for Princess, and I live in the city of the HQ. Santa Clarita, Ca. They all have said the same thing. The President had a meeting a couple of months ago to say there would be no layoffs, but they were cutting hours and days for their staff. They are almost giving rooms away to family and friends to get capacity up. The boats that are still traveling pretty full are the ones to Mexico Riviera, they get many locals and prices are low. The discresinary spending is way down. People will take the cruise, but spend less on tours, photos, etc. Some Alaska cruises are traveling pretty full, from SF and Seattle. Otherwise, yes they are suffering.

It is the economy, of course this would be one industry hit really hard.

The cost of air fare and having to stay in a hotel pre cruise all add to the expense. Also, you cannot go to Alaska and not take tours! Alaska is one of the most expensive states on par with Hawaii.

Many people are lucky to be cruising at all and will tend to book the cheaper sailings closer to home that don't involve air fare or hotel stays. Caribbean sailings tend to be cheaper and there is much you can do ashore without taking shore excursions.

Unfortunately, the lack of money to go on vacations will be a fact of life for the foreseeable future for many people.

MARAPRINCE

It is the economy, of course this would be one industry hit really hard.
Actually, that's a misconception so I'm not sure where you got that idea. While cruiselines such as Princess have commitments for the next year, they have a "movable" product, i.e., they can take a ship (or more than one) and move them to a market where cruises are selling better. Note all the recent threads on CC where Princess has canceled cruises and moved ships to other itineraries. Also, with the current economy, cruising is a heck of a deal as opposed to a land vacation. Granted, profits are down, but in no way are the cruiselines, and Princess "hurting."

The cost of air fare and having to stay in a hotel pre cruise all add to the expense. Also, you cannot go to Alaska and not take tours! Alaska is one of the most expensive states on par with Hawaii.

Many people are lucky to be cruising at all and will tend to book the cheaper sailings closer to home that don't involve air fare or hotel stays. Caribbean sailings tend to be cheaper and there is much you can do ashore without taking shore excursions.

Unfortunately, the lack of money to go on vacations will be a fact of life for the foreseeable future for many people.

MARAPRINCE

With the cheap air from Boston, we are able to finally afford an Alaska cruise. The high airfare from the past always made an Alaska cruise just a dream. we are staying over pre and post cruise. Seattle hotels are less expensive than an equal in Boston.

And as another poster said, cruising is still the most affordable luxory and meals included vacation I can find.

If our ship isn't full then hay, I got more elbow room.

Actually, that's a misconception so I'm not sure where you got that idea. While cruiselines such as Princess have commitments for the next year, they have a "movable" product, i.e., they can take a ship (or more than one) and move them to a market where cruises are selling better. Note all the recent threads on CC where Princess has canceled cruises and moved ships to other itineraries. Also, with the current economy, cruising is a heck of a deal as opposed to a land vacation. Granted, profits are down, but in no way are the cruiselines, and Princess "hurting."

I guess I will have to tell my friends and neighbors, the President of Princess was just kidding, and even though they are asking their friends and families to cruise for next to nothing to help fill the ships, it is just a joke. We basically are paying a service charge to cruise, because of the lack of capacity. Sorry Pam. Living in Santa Claria, I see how Princess is affected.

Archived