Travel Agent out of business - CCL won't let us cancel our cruise

cpayne

Discovered our travel agent no longer exists.  3 non working phone numbers, email returned as non-deliverable and website has disappeared from cyber space.  We need to cancel our Oct 31 cruise (non Covid related reasons).   Carnival won't allow us to cancel through them because the reservation was booked through a TA.  5 phone calls this week and still does not appear to be any closer to having this resolved.  The latest hour long phone call I was told it will take a minimum of 3-4 weeks for CCL to "investigate" including CCL will send a company representative to the physical address they have on file for the TA to ensure they do not exist.  ?!?!  Assuming my 5th phone call actually got someone to do something towards resolving this scenario (not holding out hopes based on my 4 other wasted calls) that's another 4 weeks at minimum that CCL will hold on to my $.  I certainly appreciate CCL respecting their relationships with TA's.  However, this seems to be a bit extreme or perhaps there's more that I don't know?  

Anyone have any experience with this?   Any ideas?  Any suggestions?  

Please do not turn this thread in to a discussion of the importance of using a trusted TA, etc.......  Companies can and do go out of business.  These are unprecedented times we live in currently and unfortunately many businesses have fallen victim to circumstances.  Even choosing the best TA could land someone in this situation.  

Thanks. 

• Like 3

Hi

This happened to us once

We had to get an exec on the phone to get it fixed

Very stressful

(note: not this cruise line) 

I hope you find an easier path

G

There is another discussion topic currently active “I think my agent has bailed on me” at this link: 

The poster was able to have an escalated agent determine the agency was shut down on the same call without an investigation period.

I’d request Carnival does a takeover of your booking due to the agency going out of business. Once the control is given back to Carnival, that is when I would request to cancel.

• Like 2

I wonder if this was a legitimate travel agent? Check the contract you have with the travel agent and then the state authorities to find if it was incorporated. 

Edited by Purvis1231
typo

6 minutes ago, Purvis1231 said:

If they are incorporated there should be a lawyers name listed that you could contact. 

The problem is CCL won’t take my word for it that the TA is out of business.  Me contacting the lawyers won’t do any good. CCL supposedly has to complete their own investigation. 🤔

31 minutes ago, Purvis1231 said:

If they are incorporated there should be a lawyers name listed that you could contact. 

it's a moot point, they are no longer in business, what do you need a lawyer for?

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, DAllenTCY said:

If you paid the travel agency with a credit card, then you can contact that bank, credit union, etc.

David

If she opens a dispute it's against carnival. The payment went to carnival, not the agent so carnival is the one who is the merchant. Winning the dispute then she is in trouble with carnival. Migjt be blocked from future cruises

You need to escalate this, start asking for supervisors, not saying ok, I'll wait 4 or 5 weeks. Ask for a supervisor, if that doesnt work ask for their supervisor etc. Dont be so nice about it. Push 

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, firefly333 said:

If she opens a dispute it's against carnival. The payment went to carnival, not the agent so carnival is the one who is the merchant

You need to escalate this, start asking for supervisors, not saying ok, I'll wait 4 or 5 weeks. Ask for a supervisor, if that doesnt work ask for their supervisor etc. Dont be so nice about it. Push 

Trust me I have!  Sat was my 5th phone call and each lasting 1 hr+.  The resolution dept I was told is only open M-F so Sat was merely yet another wasted hour of my life.....

17 minutes ago, DAllenTCY said:

If you paid the travel agency with a credit card, then you can contact that bank, credit union, etc.

David

Ultimately that's exactly why I"m not worried about getting my deposit back.  Worst case scenario the credit card will "cover us".  What I'd prefer to not have happen, though, is we reach final payment date, cruise still hasn't been cancelled and we get charged the full price of the cruise.  That's just more we have to fight with either CCL or the credit card company.  

8 minutes ago, cpayne said:

Ultimately that's exactly why I"m not worried about getting my deposit back.  Worst case scenario the credit card will "cover us".  What I'd prefer to not have happen, though, is we reach final payment date, cruise still hasn't been cancelled and we get charged the full price of the cruise.  That's just more we have to fight with either CCL or the credit card company.  

If your TA is out of business there is no way for your card to be charged is there? Since Carnival is not the agent of record but you could still lose your deposits if not canceled by file payment date.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

If your TA is out of business there is no way for your card to be charged is there? Since Carnival is not the agent of record but you could still lose your deposits if not canceled by file payment date.

One would think, but I believe the charge for the deposit came through on my card as CCL so assume they could also make the final payment?   

49 minutes ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

Unless the agent sets it up to automatically charge the card on the final payment date. My agent does that for me. 

T

1 hour ago, cpayne said:

Trust me I have!  Sat was my 5th phone call and each lasting 1 hr+.  The resolution dept I was told is only open M-F so Sat was merely yet another wasted hour of my life.....

Well end the call and call back during business hours.

I got one myself I'm having to wait thru the weekend until tomorrow about a booking. But yes push it when the supervisors are working, or ask for customer service not a regular rep, I've had better luck talking to them.

These times are sometimes just pains in the neck. 

Edited by firefly333

If the “out of business” TA is a local office, go to a different Agency in the same area.  They can contact their Carnival BDM , who will be the same for all agencies in the area. The BDM should be able to help. In return, please be sure to give future business to the agency that helped.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cpayne said:

One would think, but I believe the charge for the deposit came through on my card as CCL so assume they could also make the final payment?   

OK was just questioning because I thought the TA had to call in the payment.

Good luck hope it all gets worked out to your satisfaction.

You need to warn all of us about this particular travel agent, so that we don't get trapped.

It's possible that few more agents could be out of business and pocket the deposits, especially if you have given them your credit card info on the phone or email.

2 minutes ago, drsel said:

You need to warn all of us about this particular travel agent, so that we don't get trapped.
It's possible that few more agents could be out of business and pocket the deposits

If the agent has made the deposit charged directly to the cruise line, it is not the agent who has the deposit. It is the cruise line. However, one might still need a warning as they might find a problem making their final payment or cancelling like the OP.

It is against the rules to name agents. I wonder if an agency is out of business (no longer a travel agent) could they be named as a heads up for others who might need to know. I hope one of the mods reads this post and clarifies that.

If the agent has made the deposit charged directly to the cruise line, it is not the agent who has the deposit. It is the cruise line. However, one might still need a warning as they might find a problem making their final payment or cancelling like the OP.

It is against the rules to name agents. I wonder if an agency is out of business (no longer a travel agent) could they be named as a heads up for others who might need to know. I hope one of the mods reads this post and clarifies that.
I guess if an agent is out of business and has closed shop permanently, then he will not pose any competition or threat to the sponsors.

2 minutes ago, drsel said:

I guess if an agent is out of business and has closed shop permanently, then he will not pose any competition or threat to the sponsors.

Sounds right, but it would really be up to the mods to say whether giving a heads up that a travel agency has gone out of business would or would not violate their policies against naming travel agents.