Cruise Critic Message Board Forums

Cruise Critic Message Board Forums (https://boards.cruisecritic.com/index.php)
-   Royal Caribbean International (https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   Kindle Fire HD on EOS (https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1720960)

karinad October 11th, 2012 10:13 PM

Kindle Fire HD on EOS
 
I've always taken my laptop to check email on our cruises. I just got the new Kindle Fire HD today and I'm thinking of taking that, instead of my laptop, on the EOS next week. I know there's computers onboard, but I find it easier to use my own computer.

Any problems with this device? My dh would have a lighter load to carry on his back if I didn't drag the laptop along!:D

Scotty G October 11th, 2012 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karinad (Post 35681338)
I've always taken my laptop to check email on our cruises. I just got the new Kindle Fire HD today and I'm thinking of taking that, instead of my laptop, on the EOS next week. I know there's computers onboard, but I find it easier to use my own computer.

Any problems with this device? My dh would have a lighter load to carry on his back if I didn't drag the laptop along!:D

I use my Kindle Fire on RCL cruise ships. You set up an account at the RCL computer stations using your SetSail pass. Instructions are provided there. If you get C&A coupons for free service. Go to Guest Relations first to have them enable them in the system. Bon Voyage!

karinad October 12th, 2012 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scotty G (Post 35681432)
I use my Kindle Fire on RCL cruise ships. You set up an account at the RCL computer stations using your SetSail pass. Instructions are provided there. If you get C&A coupons for free service. Go to Guest Relations first to have them enable them in the system. Bon Voyage!

Thanks! Hopefully, it'll be as fast as my 6 yr. old laptop! I had no problem with the speed on the EOS last yr.

Scotty G October 12th, 2012 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karinad (Post 35682238)
Thanks! Hopefully, it'll be as fast as my 6 yr. old laptop! I had no problem with the speed on the EOS last yr.

Mine was very fast. Also meant Sea Pass Card before. Duh!!!

CruisinCrow October 12th, 2012 10:50 AM

I used my Kindle Fire to check and send emails when I was in Mexico and Italy earlier this year. I haven't used it on a cruise because I didn't want to pay for Wifi. :) No problems but the keypad is a lot smaller than it is on a laptop so it took a while to type out messages. You might want to get one of those little pointers, if you have problems with your fingers hitting the wrong letters.

Also, the battery doesn't last very long so be sure to bring your charger.

pollux October 12th, 2012 08:47 PM

Need lots of help
 
I would love to have a kindle please explaine to a computer dummy the following:
How did you email from Italy and Mexico?
Do you have to have a server?
Are you using wifi at McDonalds?
How many hours does a battery charge last.

CruisinCrow October 13th, 2012 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pollux (Post 35692096)
I would love to have a kindle please explaine to a computer dummy the following:
How did you email from Italy and Mexico?
My internet provider has a website for checking my email. I just went to the internet and logged into my account.


Do you have to have a server?
No, you don't have to have a server.

Are you using wifi at McDonalds?

I used the WiFi at my hotels. If a hotel has WiFi, they will give you a password to log in.


How many hours does a battery charge last.
The Kindle Fire battery lasts about 8 hours. The battery gets used up faster if you are using WiFi, watching movies or playing games than it does if you are just reading a book.

I love my Kindle Fire but I do want to warn people that you really can't use it outdoors. The screen is not bright enough and there is too much glare. If you're wanting to read by the pool or beach, bring a paperback!

spookwife October 13th, 2012 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pollux (Post 35692096)
I would love to have a kindle please explaine to a computer dummy the following:
How did you email from Italy and Mexico?
Do you have to have a server?
Are you using wifi at McDonalds?
How many hours does a battery charge last.

1: same way you email from home. go to the log in page and have at it

2: everyone needs a server. you will automatically connect tot he correct one for your email account.

3: not necessarily. you can get wifi almost anywhere( there are even apps you can download to your Kindle or smartphone to find them locally)

4: depends on what you are using it for. I have the 1st gen Kindle Fire and if I am just reading, it lasts.. maybe 10-15 hours. if I have WiFi or am playing games regularly.. about half that.

cruisinfanatic October 13th, 2012 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scotty G (Post 35681432)
I use my Kindle Fire on RCL cruise ships. You set up an account at the RCL computer stations using your SetSail pass. Instructions are provided there. If you get C&A coupons for free service. Go to Guest Relations first to have them enable them in the system. Bon Voyage!

On Oasis and Allure (maybe others) you can set up your account using your cabin TV

pollux October 13th, 2012 09:00 AM

Thanks everyone for your information.
I would only use it when I am away from home for email.
So I put a Kindle on my xmas wish list.
Also use the computer on the ship and in port I find a Stoe usually the crew know where to go email cheap.

karinad October 13th, 2012 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pollux (Post 35692096)
I would love to have a kindle please explaine to a computer dummy the following:
How did you email from Italy and Mexico?
Do you have to have a server?
Are you using wifi at McDonalds?
How many hours does a battery charge last.

Believe me, you are not alone with being a computer dummy! I started using a computer in 2006 for email and shopping a little. I'm not much further today. I do pay bills and know my way around some, but I don't know how to fix it if something went wrong.

Don't be afraid to ask someone for help while onboard. There isn't always someone in the Computer Room. A couple times I asked a fellow passenger If they weren't online.

Also, if you're looking for a Kindle, all are different. My son first got me just the Kindle Reader. I will continue to use that for reading, and will still take it along on our cruise. The Kindle Fire, I basically purchased it to check email, and I think all the books I bought on my Kindle are linked to The Fire. I'm still amazed by all the technology! I'm 57, so didn't grow up or into it! We were lucky if there was one electric typewriter in highschool!

Scotty G October 13th, 2012 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CruisinCrow (Post 35695301)
I love my Kindle Fire but I do want to warn people that you really can't use it outdoors. The screen is not bright enough and there is too much glare. If you're wanting to read by the pool or beach, bring a paperback!

That is why I carry my original Kindle (ereader) and my Kindle Fire. ;)

karinad October 13th, 2012 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scotty G (Post 35699762)
That is why I carry my original Kindle (ereader) and my Kindle Fire. ;)

Scotty, if u don't mind me asking, did u get a case for your Fire? It seems to be challenging to "wake" it. Some of the cases say that they wake it and put it to sleep.

Scotty G October 13th, 2012 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karinad (Post 35700049)
Scotty, if u don't mind me asking, did u get a case for your Fire? It seems to be challenging to "wake" it. Some of the cases say that they wake it and put it to sleep.

Sorry, I did not get one. The original Fire I have uses the on - off button to put it to sleep or turn it on/off. Perhaps the new versions use a magnetic interface or Bluetooth to do this?

karinad October 13th, 2012 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scotty G (Post 35700104)
Sorry, I did not get one. The original Fire I have uses the on - off button to put it to sleep or turn it on/off. Perhaps the new versions use a magnetic interface or Bluetooth to do this?

I think I read somewhere about magnetic. This has a button, that you could barely feel or see, even up close. It's a pain to have to look for it all the time! There's no indicator or marker. I guess it will take awhile to get to know it. I did just order a cover that will wake it when opening. It has a stylus with it, although, I don't find touching the screen with my finger hard (I have tiny fingers). I do love my original Kindle. I have the leather jacket with the light that pulls up. Very neat!


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:40 AM.

1995 - 2016, The Independent Traveler, Inc. All rights reserved.
"A Community of People Who Love To Cruise"
All of the information contained within Cruise Critic is protected by copyright. You may, however, download a single copy only for your personal use.