Bug season in Alaska?

relo854

We did HAL cruisetour Aug 18th through 28th '07. We cruised from Vancouver to Tracey Arm, to Juneau to Skagway. Left the ship in Skagway, up to Whitehorse, Dawson City, Eagle, Chicken, Tok, Fairbanks, Denali and ending in Anchorage. We saw lots of gnats in the interior, 2 mosquitos in hotel room in Tok, and one little black flying bug in Denali (nobody knew what it was). We had bug repellant, but never used it and weren't bothered at all by the bugs. We had a few rain showers, so don't know if that kept the bugs down, but I was concerned for nothing. Not one bite.

The only place I have had a big problem with bugs - mosquitos - is at Wonder Lake in Denali NP through about mid August. If you take the shuttle bus to Wonder Lake before then, bring plenty of bug spray and if possible a mosquito net (about $2 at Wal Mart or any sporting goods store).

John

We did HAL cruisetour Aug 18th through 28th '07. We cruised from Vancouver to Tracey Arm, to Juneau to Skagway. Left

Hi,

We'll be doing a HAL cruise tour in August 2008.

What was the weather like? Everyone says to dress in layers .. I have bought so much gear for this trip it's getting ridiculous.

What type of layers is just right for August?

What kind of rain gear? Should I bring a very warm jacket?

I guess it depends on the year. We saw quite a few mosquitos in late June when we were at Talkeetna and Denali.

They weren't super bad, but we all had bites after an evening walk even though we all applied bug spray liberally. I even waited until I got to AK to buy the bug spray since they supposedly have a higher DEET concentration, but it still seemed to have no affect on them.

The bugs in Anchorage and the Kenai Penninsula were there (like anywhere) but not enough to be noticable.

We really didn't see anything in the way of bugs on the cruise portion of our vacation.

Archived