Dietary Restrictions - Any Time Dining (Equinox)

MattP.

Hello!

My partner and I will be on the Equinox's August 18th sailing. This will be my second time on Celebrity but my partner's first cruise ever.

We are currently booked for any time dining however I'm questioning if that's the best decision based upon my partner's dietary restrictions. She is vegetarian, cow dairy free, and gluten free. We intend to talk to the maitre d upon embarkation. Based on what I've read, our only desire is for her to have access to the daily vegetarian menu and possibly look at the following day's menu for the opportunity to order a modified dish the day prior. Is this going to present too much of a burden during any time dining as we will lack the bonus of consistent wait staff? If she orders a dish the night prior, we can certainly commit to showing up the next day at a specific time if that's preferable.

Appreciate everyone's insight!

Matt

Hello!

My partner and I will be on the Equinox's August 18th sailing. This will be my second time on Celebrity but my partner's first cruise ever.

We are currently booked for any time dining however I'm questioning if that's the best decision based upon my partner's dietary restrictions. She is vegetarian, cow dairy free, and gluten free. We intend to talk to the maitre d upon embarkation. Based on what I've read, our only desire is for her to have access to the daily vegetarian menu and possibly look at the following day's menu for the opportunity to order a modified dish the day prior. Is this going to present too much of a burden during any time dining as we will lack the bonus of consistent wait staff? If she orders a dish the night prior, we can certainly commit to showing up the next day at a specific time if that's preferable.

Appreciate everyone's insight!

Matt

We've always been able to see the next day's menu the evening before. With so many dietary restrictions, I'd recommend that you contact special needs prior to your cruise, and with it being so near, I'd suggest you do that immediately. Then on embarkation day, I'd go to the Select dining entrance to the MDR and speak directly with the maître d, making him/her aware of your restrictions and asking for his/her recommendations on the best way to handle it. Make sure the MDR staff are aware of the special needs request. You can sit with the same wait staff nightly, who would be made aware of your concerns. Good luck and have a wonderful time.

X, generally, is very good with such things.... she will be able to get next days menu and create the meal. Also, the Specialty Restaurants, if visiting, can do this as well...each venue needs some advance notice to properly prepare.

bon voyage

My wife also has dietary restrictions. X is very good about adapting dishes to her needs. She gets each day's menu the evening before and makes her choices. If a dish has a restricted ingredient they will make it for her and eliminate the offending item.

We usually get Select dining, but we found that it helps to request the same waiter (after we find one we like) each evening. That way he/she gets familiar with the process. The hostess will try to accommodate her in that.

I am gluten free and every time I asked about a modification on the next days menu for anything I have always been told it’s not possible. Mainly I have asked about lamb.

How is the lamb prepared which makes it not gluten free?

bon voyage

Lamb prepared with bread crumbs is not glutten free.....that is the most common issue.

OP, Celebrity has been great with helping my wife and her food allergies. They take this very seriously and always make sure to show us the next night's menu so she can make sure there is something she can eat and enjoy. On the rare occasions she could not find a dish she liked they came back with some other offerings after talking to the chef. She pre-orders her dinners for the next night and notes are made in our file so when we arrive the next evening and they ask for our cabin number, presto, a note appears and her dinner is there for her no matter where we are seated. They do try to keep us with the same waiters but it is not always possible so they have a system that works well. Go and enjoy it and don't worry, they will take good care of you. Talking to the staff on day one helps everyone.

I am gluten free and every time I asked about a modification on the next days menu for anything I have always been told it’s not possible. Mainly I have asked about lamb.

We've had just the opposite experience. If my wife wants something prepared special for her, they will usually do it. They made a special Steak Diane for her just last month. Once or twice she has been told that a particular item is brought in ready-made and can't be adjusted. In that case she picked something else.

Thanks everyone for the replies and suggestions; it certainly puts me and my partner at ease. We will stick with anytime dining, speak with the MDR maitre d on day one, and hopefully find a waiter/waitress we like early on and stick with him/her.

Happy Sailing!

Matt