Magic & Unlimited Internet

canner2u

Ok, this seems hard to believe, but skimming through FB, I saw a post concerning unlimited internet on the Magic for just $39.99 per week, anyone else know anything about this rate? Has anyone heard if it is going fleet wide yet?

Just got back. It was $99 for the week down from $119 the previous week. Did not see anything about $40 for the week.

The speed was fast on the Magic, though others have complained that the speed on other ships is very slow.

It was $69 on the 9/2 sailing. I wouldn't be surprised if they lowered it, but that's amazing how low if it's true. I'm really glad we didn't buy it if they just keep lowering it. I'm sure the folks that bought it at $119 and $99 are ticked off now.

It was $69 on the 9/2 sailing. I wouldn't be surprised if they lowered it, but that's amazing how low if it's true. I'm really glad we didn't buy it if they just keep lowering it. I'm sure the folks that bought it at $119 and $99 are ticked off now.

That's terrific, hopefully it will continue to drop. I thought $99 was good for a week. :D

Not surprising and very common actually. Carnival is just trying to determine where their MAXIMUM revenue RETURN is.

FOR EXAMPLE: 100 @ $119 ($11,900) would return less than 150 @ $99 ($14,850) which would return more than 200@$69 ($13,800). They need to find the OPTIMAL price point. I'm sure they have to also take into consideration how efficiently they can handle all this usage.

Great selling point, IMHO, would be to offer FREE internet usage while on board a Carnival ship ! ! :D However, its questionable if their systems could handle all the internet traffic this would produce from a single ship.:confused:

Not surprising and very common actually. Carnival is just trying to determine where their MAXIMUM revenue RETURN is.

FOR EXAMPLE: 100 @ $119 ($11,900) would return less than 150 @ $99 ($14,850) which would return more than 200@$69 ($13,800). They need to find the OPTIMAL price point. I'm sure they have to also take into consideration how efficiently they can handle all this usage.

Great selling point, IMHO, would be to offer FREE internet usage while on board a Carnival ship ! ! :D However, its questionable if their systems could handle all the internet traffic this would produce from a single ship.:confused:

I dont know if things have changed since my Ike cruise, but they told me on the ship that a 3rd party provides the internet on Carnival ships (unlike RCL who provides their own).

It might have changed .. but if its a 3rd party, of course the breakdowns above would not be nearly as simple as you laid out.

Obviously nothing is free, they would have to be able to charge more for the cruises to make up for not charging individually and everyone would have to pay more.

I dont know if things have changed since my Ike cruise, but they told me on the ship that a 3rd party provides the internet on Carnival ships (unlike RCL who provides their own).

It might have changed .. but if its a 3rd party, of course the breakdowns above would not be nearly as simple as you laid out.

Obviously nothing is free, they would have to be able to charge more for the cruises to make up for not charging individually and everyone would have to pay more.

Those were just examples of how the business mind functions, firefly. I didn't offer it as a "simple" solution. I have no idea where their price point might be or how they would market it.

Another EXAMPLE: If they normally take in an average $6000 on a 7 day cruise now, then charging and additional $2 per passenger would handle the extra cost on a standard ship. Not much at all, however, if they are going to use a 3rd party not everything changes (they'll just to have to allow for the % the third party gets). If this keeps up they won't have any operations that aren't their own.

I personally think they should stick to cruising. Forget the ice skating rinks, the rock-climbing walls, the flow-riders, and the internet, etc. and stick to cruising.:) Just keep providing the cheapest and safest way to get from A to B comfortably with decent dining and let the others provide the circus and shopping malls.

Those were just examples of how the business mind functions, firefly. I didn't offer it as a "simple" solution. I have no idea where their price point might be or how they would market it.

Another EXAMPLE: If they normally take in an average $6000 on a 7 day cruise now, then charging and additional $2 per passenger would handle the extra cost on a standard ship. Not much at all, however, if they are going to use a 3rd party not everything changes (they'll just to have to allow for the % the third party gets). If this keeps up they won't have any operations that aren't their own.

I personally think they should stick to cruising. Forget the ice skating rinks, the rock-climbing walls, the flow-riders, and the internet, etc. and stick to cruising.:) Just keep providing the cheapest and safest way to get from A to B comfortably with decent dining and let the others provide the circus and shopping malls.

Yea, I know they were examples.. I am just thinking they wouldnt get much cheaper .. but would be nice. Id sign up. I pay some every cruise to get online in the ports as it is.. Id give Carnival a bit more on the ship if the cost gets more reasonable.

I am on the Magic right now. There are two plans. "The New High Speed Plan" for $99.99 per Cruise ($29.99/day). "Basic Plan" for $39.99 per Cruise (what is on most ships right now). I purchase the High Speed plan. I must say it is SO MUCH better than the basic plan (which I had last year on the Legend).

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, $39.99 sounds great...

I guess if you were gaming then the more pricy faster connection would be better...

My daughter & grandkids are at Okinawa Japan & would like to keep in contact & put a few Magic cruise pictures on her FaceBook....

Can you upload pictures to FaceBook in a reasonable time on the $39.99 plan???

Archived