Review of Celebrity Summit (Southern Caribbean)

diamond712

I wanted to give a review of the Celebrity Summit from a first time cruiser- who is 30 years old, traveling with her husband (31) and another couple (both in their 30s). We were afraid to sail Celebrity because we feared that it may be an older crowd- but wanting the best cruise experience and having heard that Celebrity is one of the best lines- we decided to book. So, for all you 30-40 somethings out there who want to know the truth- here it is. This ship was beautiful- nice artwork all around, glass elevators, nice theater and Revelations night club was beautifully decorated. Here's the downside. This ship was full of old people. When I say old, I mean a large population on the ship were sporting canes. And, the piano bar reminded me more of a funeral parlor from its decor and tunes from the 40s. The pianist seemed to be annoyed with us when we asked if he could play some Billy Joel at least. The nightclub was beautifully decorated... and empty. Like Gloria Estefan? If I heard the Conga Beat one more time from the house band "Great Ideas" I think I was going to Conga overboard. Food- ok. For the most part it was fine- one great meal at at the end where they had lobster and filet with baked alaska. Otherwise things were pretty bland. And from other cruisers we met- this was the best? Yikes. As for the drink situation- make sure you're ready to spend a lot. Our bar tab was over $800 and believe me when I say I am not a big drinker- and my husband stuck to the beer (cheapest option at $5.15 each with gratuity). So, needless to say, I am not going to be cruising until I am in my 50s at the earliest. The highlight of the cruise was going to the islands- especially Dominica (where they filmed Pirates of the Caribbean)- hiked to waterfalls, swam in a gorge- beautiful (BumpiingTours.com- ask for Levi- like the jeans). Also, Bonaire- beautiful blue water. So- the cruise food and people on the ship- not so good, the itinerary- great.

Thanks for your views. It is interesting to see something from someone else's perspective. I recently came back from a Summit Southern Caribbean cruise (February 16-23) and I thought there were a wide range of ages on the ship and did not notice a lot of canes or old people, but I am myself in my early 50s (no cane yet, but I know its coming) so a demographic mix that seemed fine to me might be a problem for someone else. Cruising is not for everyone, but if your concerns are the cost and the age of the cruisers, you might want to try a different cruise line. You might enjoy Carnival more or Royal Caribbean; I am sure the nightclubs are hopping on those ships (although this is based on their reputation, marketing, and these boards--I have not sailed either (yet)).

I wanted to give a review of the Celebrity Summit from a first time cruiser- who is 30 years old, traveling with her husband (31) and another couple (both in their 30s). We were afraid to sail Celebrity because we feared that it may be an older crowd- but wanting the best cruise experience and having heard that Celebrity is one of the best lines- we decided to book. So, for all you 30-40 somethings out there who want to know the truth- here it is. This ship was beautiful- nice artwork all around, glass elevators, nice theater and Revelations night club was beautifully decorated. Here's the downside. This ship was full of old people. When I say old, I mean a large population on the ship were sporting canes. And, the piano bar reminded me more of a funeral parlor from its decor and tunes from the 40s. The pianist seemed to be annoyed with us when we asked if he could play some Billy Joel at least. The nightclub was beautifully decorated... and empty. Like Gloria Estefan? If I heard the Conga Beat one more time from the house band "Great Ideas" I think I was going to Conga overboard. Food- ok. For the most part it was fine- one great meal at at the end where they had lobster and filet with baked alaska. Otherwise things were pretty bland. And from other cruisers we met- this was the best? Yikes. As for the drink situation- make sure you're ready to spend a lot. Our bar tab was over $800 and believe me when I say I am not a big drinker- and my husband stuck to the beer (cheapest option at $5.15 each with gratuity). So, needless to say, I am not going to be cruising until I am in my 50s at the earliest. The highlight of the cruise was going to the islands- especially Dominica (where they filmed Pirates of the Caribbean)- hiked to waterfalls, swam in a gorge- beautiful (BumpiingTours.com- ask for Levi- like the jeans). Also, Bonaire- beautiful blue water. So- the cruise food and people on the ship- not so good, the itinerary- great.

As someone also in her early 30s, I have to say I have found a mix of age on my Celebrity cruises. The food is in the process of changing with a new chief and new menus. My nightclub days have been over for some years now, so I can't comment on the nightclubs. Other than I have heard your comment before from others. The drink pricing are about average as what is on other lines.

I'm so looking forward to leaving next week on the Summit.

Yikes. As for the drink situation- make sure you're ready to spend a lot. Our bar tab was over $800 and believe me when I say I am not a big drinker- and my husband stuck to the beer (cheapest option at $5.15 each with gratuity). So, needless to say, I am not going to be cruising until I am in my 50s at the earliest. quote]

$800.00 for two people. How many nights was this cruise?

We weren't looking for a "spring-break" like party ship- just a little something to do at night other than gambling and taking our picture with various backgrounds around the ship (some of the shows were pretty good by the way). PS- by very good recommendation, if you want to go to an absolutely beautiful, great food adults only all-inclusive, I recommend El Dorado Royale in the Riveria Maya, Mexico. KarismaResorts.com. That is more my style- but I would go on a cruise later or even a Disney Cruise when our daughter gets older.

"Our bar tab was over $800"

Lets see, take an average of $7. per drink ($5. for beer, $9. for mixed?), that would be over $114. per day or slightly more than 16 drinks per couple per day. Maybe everyone just seemed older;)!

"Our bar tab was over $800"

Lets see, take an average of $7. per drink ($5. for beer, $9. for mixed?), that would be over $114. per day or slightly more than 16 drinks per couple per day. Maybe everyone just seemed older;)!

Or only half as many older people as the OP thought. :p

Hi diamond712...

We were on the Summit's Jan 19/08 Southern Caribbean...second cruise of our B2B...we did the Panama Canal out of LA first than the SC out of San Juan. Too bad you weren't on the Jan 19/08 sailing as half the ship's passengers were in their 30's and 40's and kept the nightclubs hopping very late!! Jeff the Cruise Director was having trouble keeping up...dancing until 6:30 am one night/morning!! :D

There was a "real" difference in "age bracket" from the PC cruise to this SC cruise! (some canes and scooters on the PC cruise) Food...service...dress code were all "better" on the PC cruise compared to this "first" SC sailing for the Summit

I think "age bracket" can change somewhat from cruise date to cruise date. 7 night cruises though tend to attract "younger" people.

We like to cruise...so we can enjoy "many" different loactions...be waited on and spoilt!

As for drinks...yes they can be expensive...but what the heck...you're on vacation! Drink of the Day specials...Martini taster trays...Champagne Cocktail taster trays....Margarita taster trays are all great. (taster trays are 6 smaller (different) flavour glasses with alcohol content equaling 2 regular drink portions all for $9.95) We found in the Martini Bar they give you "good" drinks...not skimpy with the alcohol!:D

Pat :)

Archived