Cruise Critic Message Board Forums

Cruise Critic Message Board Forums (https://boards.cruisecritic.com/index.php)
-   Ask a Cruise Question (https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=114)
-   -   visa needed for UK citizens if not getting off cruise ship in St Petersburg? (https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2610643)

hapicruisin March 12th, 2018 08:20 AM

visa needed for UK citizens if not getting off cruise ship in St Petersburg?
 
Does anyone know if uk passport holders need a Russian visa if not getting off cruise ship for the 2 days in St Petersburg.

Have researched but not found out an answer.

Do like St Petersburg, been there on many cruises, but just having a restful cruise this time.

Many thanks to anyone able to help.

Keith1010 March 12th, 2018 09:05 AM

I know USA citizens do not need a visa if staying on the ship.

You may want to ask on the UK Cruisers Board at:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/foru...prune=-1&f=683

And also on the Northern Europe & Baltic Board at:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/foru...prune=-1&f=192

Keith

ontheweb March 12th, 2018 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hapicruisin (Post 55528852)
Does anyone know if uk passport holders need a Russian visa if not getting off cruise ship for the 2 days in St Petersburg.

Have researched but not found out an answer.

Do like St Petersburg, been there on many cruises, but just having a restful cruise this time.

Many thanks to anyone able to help.

I don't see how they could check if you have a visa or not because many passengers will have their visa through buying private excursions. But, to be safe I would check as the other poster has suggested.

hapicruisin March 12th, 2018 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith1010 (Post 55529194)
I know USA citizens do not need a visa if staying on the ship.

You may want to ask on the UK Cruisers Board at:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/foru...prune=-1&f=683

And also on the Northern Europe & Baltic Board at:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/foru...prune=-1&f=192

Keith

Many thanks will do what you suggest. Hapicruisin

hapicruisin March 12th, 2018 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ontheweb (Post 55529212)
I don't see how they could check if you have a visa or not because many passengers will have their visa through buying private excursions. But, to be safe I would check as the other poster has suggested.


I agree with you. Just don't want to be stopped getting on the cruise. We have always had tours previously.

Many thanks for your reply. Hapicruisin

Keith1010 March 12th, 2018 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hapicruisin (Post 55529321)
Many thanks will do what you suggest. Hapicruisin

You are very welcome.

Keith

ontheweb March 12th, 2018 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hapicruisin (Post 55529352)
I agree with you. Just don't want to be stopped getting on the cruise. We have always had tours previously.

Many thanks for your reply. Hapicruisin

You're welcome.

I can say when we went on a Baltic cruise (and used a private tour group), there was never any question from the cruise line (Princess in our case) about whether we had Russian visas.

Velvetwater March 12th, 2018 06:40 PM

Did a Carnival Baltic cruise in 2013 from Dover and quite a few UK and US passengers were told they had to stay on the ship in the St Pete's port as they had no tours and visas.

One could take from that they were definitely allowed to board without Russian visas.

For those of you on private tours and ship ones the reason you didn't need a Visa is because it was included in your tour. Most nations need a visa in Russia- I can't remember which countries are exempt.

Port Power March 13th, 2018 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hapicruisin (Post 55528852)
Does anyone know if uk passport holders need a Russian visa if not getting off cruise ship for the 2 days in St Petersburg.

Have researched but not found out an answer.

Do like St Petersburg, been there on many cruises, but just having a restful cruise this time.
Many thanks to anyone able to help.

No, you don't.

We were there in October, travelling with UK and US friends. You only need a visa if getting off the ship and going through Russian immigration.

ger_77 March 13th, 2018 12:21 PM

You don't need a visa if you're not getting off in Russia - just don't try it if you're on a South American cruise and the ship stops in Brazil. No visa, no cruise, even if you don't plan on getting off the ship. There's a whole thread devoted to this on the boards.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

hapicruisin March 13th, 2018 04:09 PM

Thank you to all those who so very kindly helped me to sort out my problem. It certainly makes sense if you are not getting off the ship in St Petersburg that you don't need a visa, but life is often not that simple.

I did try to find out from the UK and Russian visa sites but they don't expect people to travel to St. P and not get off the ship. We love St. P but we have been there many times, the last being a 3 day private tour with TJ Travel with a couple from USA we met on cruise critic - an amazing 3 days in May last year.

Extra Kim March 13th, 2018 04:09 PM

A Visa to Russia cost around 80 - 85 U.S $ with normal processing time (in Sweden anyway).

Tiggertastic March 13th, 2018 05:54 PM

You only need a visa to disembark through immigration. If not getting off you do not need one and Iím from UK


Sent from my iPad using Forums


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:33 AM.

© 1995 - 2016, The Independent Traveler, Inc. All rights reserved.
"A Community of People Who Love To Cruise"
All of the information contained within Cruise Critic is protected by copyright. You may, however, download a single copy only for your personal use.