Medical Use of a Heating Pad

donaldsc

We are doing a cruise on Princess in a a few weeks. In the scheme of the major issues discussed on this board, this one is not as serious. However, it is serious for my wife. She has a hip issue and the doctor has told her that she has to use a heating pad twice per day to feel comfortable. I know that heating pads are not allowed on ships and I understand why.

What are her options? If she gets a letter from her doctor, will they let her take her pad on board? Do they have legal heating pads on board that she can borrow. Could she use it in the medical clinic twice per day w/o being charged for a medical fee every time?

Any other ideas. I know that I should contact the Princess Special Needs department but I can't find their number.

Thanks in advance.

DON

We are doing a cruise on Princess in a a few weeks. In the scheme of the major issues discussed on this board, this one is not as serious. However, it is serious for my wife. She has a hip issue and the doctor has told her that she has to use a heating pad twice per day to feel comfortable. I know that heating pads are not allowed on ships and I understand why.

What are her options? If she gets a letter from her doctor, will they let her take her pad on board? Do they have legal heating pads on board that she can borrow. Could she use it in the medical clinic twice per day w/o being charged for a medical fee every time?

Any other ideas. I know that I should contact the Princess Special Needs department but I can't find their number.

Thanks in advance.

DON

Have you contacted Princess' Special Needs Dept. ?

There's always the possibility if you bring you're own even with a Doctor's letter it can be confiscated being that the medical condition does not present a life of death situation. However using a contraband item could present a serious situation.

Doubt very seriously the Medical Facility would allow your wife to use one of theirs. Besides nothing is free about anything obtained from the ships Medical Facility. Princess even charges for sea sickness pills that most other cruise lines distribute free of charge.

Check this off as an option http://www.snappyheat.com/

I took one on Celebrity, Royal Caribbean and Princess I let the special needs/accessibility office know that I would be bringing one. Celebrity let me use my own extension cord when I took the heating pad on Royal Caribbean they supplied an extenstion cord. It has to have an auto shut off. I always let the special needs department know when I fill out the mobility form. I did have a doctor's note but no one cared.

Thanks in advance.

DON

Why don’t you use Thermacare heat pads? They come in hours. I use almost daily for my arthritic back. Plus you’re not tied to an outlet.

I was told no to a plug in heat pad (I find heat helps both my neuropathic pain and pain associated with my muscle spasticity). I use “Hot Hands” instead (not just going away, but anywhere where it’s not possible or practical to use an electric pad) ... they stay warm for a long time - I’ve actually never timed one until today, but I activated one at 10am this morning - now coming up 6pm and it’s not even started to cool down.

I was told no to a plug in heat pad (I find heat helps both my neuropathic pain and pain associated with my muscle spasticity). I use “Hot Hands” instead (not just going away, but anywhere where it’s not possible or practical to use an electric pad) ... they stay warm for a long time - I’ve actually never timed one until today, but I activated one at 10am this morning - now coming up 6pm and it’s not even started to cool down.

We stayed in Barcelona for a few days before our transatlantic cruise and I used hot hands at night instead of trying to have a converter for a heating pad. It worked grea I put it inside a pillow case or it was too hot on my skin. I use them at home in the winter because I am cold natured. I did use the heating pad on the ship (like I mentioned in my other post) on 3 different cruise lines. Just let the accessibility department know you need one and it has to be auto shut off.

My DH uses a heating pad for back problems. When I contacted Special Needs on Royal, we were told it had to have an automatic shut off and to pack it in the original box so this can be verified. We now keep a traveling heating pad with box for cruising.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 8 months later...

Does anyone have an information on bringing a heating pad on a Princess ship? My wife and I both have a medical need for them.

Yes, there may be allowed on RCCL's ships (RCI, Celebrity for example); just contact their Special Needs Department (special_needs@RCCL.com). But Princess is not an RCCL cruise line, and their procedures are probably different.

There is no mention of a heating pad under Princess' Special Needs on their web page. I suppose I will have to call their Customer Service phone, but I'd prefer having something in writing. So, if someone has a link it would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Doug

Edited by PaperSniper4

On 5/10/2018 at 2:46 PM, donaldsc said:

Thanks in advance.

DON

accessoffice@princesscruises.com

• 3 months later...

Have you ever tried Salon Password brand capsaicin patches? As long as the skin is closed they stay put for days if you want although 4 hours is the recommended time on the package. Always check after about 30 minutes to make sure the adhesive is not a problem for you. I have had several doctors recommend them for both muscle and neuropathic pain. You can find them in most pharmacies OTC. I would not fly with one on as gawd knows what the TSA swabs will think they are. But they have no problem with them in my carry on bag.

18 hours ago, NorthernLite said:

Have you ever tried Salon Password brand capsaicin patches? As long as the skin is closed they stay put for days if you want although 4 hours is the recommended time on the package. Always check after about 30 minutes to make sure the adhesive is not a problem for you. I have had several doctors recommend them for both muscle and neuropathic pain. You can find them in most pharmacies OTC. I would not fly with one on as gawd knows what the TSA swabs will think they are. But they have no problem with them in my carry on bag.

If this was for me, thanks for that info. Celebrity and RCI allowed me to use our heating pads. The contact number to arrange prior approval is somewhere in this thread above.

However, there are many cruise lines that do not allow passengers to bring a heating pad. One I can verify is Princess. I have already contacted them for an upcoming cruise and was told they are not allowed. So we will be investigating those "chemical heating pads" for those cruises not on Celeb and RCI.

FWIW, we also had a small AC electric fan we use as a white noise generator at night. I had it in our checked bags, and we had to report to security to claim it the day of departure. After explaining how we planned to use it, we were allowed to use the fan while on the cruise.

Doug

I used my heating pad on our Princess cruise on the Royal. I contacted them well before hand and explained I could provide a doctor's note if needed but it wasn't  necessary. They said they would supply the extension cord if needed and the heating pad had to be an auto turn off type. It was a fourteen day cruise I used the heating pad every day.

17 hours ago, ShelbyTN said:

I used my heating pad on our Princess cruise on the Royal. I contacted them well before hand and explained I could provide a doctor's note if needed but it wasn't  necessary. They said they would supply the extension cord if needed and the heating pad had to be an auto turn off type. It was a fourteen day cruise I used the heating pad every day.

Well sonOfAGun. They told me (Crown Princess) about 3 months ago I we could not. Thanks for posting that. I will try again, referencing the doctor's note, as my wife in particular needs that heating pad every night.

PS - I'm a neighbor: Rossville, Fayette county, TN

I have been on over 20 cruises, various cruise lines, and always take my heating pad.  I also bring an extension cord as an outlet isn't always near the bed.  I don't ask permission, simply throw it in my luggage and never had a problem.

• 1 month later...
On 5/23/2019 at 9:24 AM, rucruisn2 said:

I have been on over 20 cruises, various cruise lines, and always take my heating pad.  I also bring an extension cord as an outlet isn't always near the bed.  I don't ask permission, simply throw it in my luggage and never had a problem.

When was the last time you cruised?  Out of the US?   While we were surprised when NCL told us we had to bring our own extension cord, we were previously surprised when our luggage was held so RCL could identify what they called an extension cord.  One time it was a power strip that we were able to have checked and returned as we needed it for medical equipment and they could not supply a substitute. Another time was they saw the plug to my curling iron.  

Of course there have been other items like my toe my toe nail clippers they thought was a knife etc.

• 3 years later...

Princess policy:  Hi, I am bringing this thread  up again as we have a member of our party that uses one for pain and leg pain relief. Wondering  about current policy.
What is the status:  is Princess allowing  the heating pads for medical purposes?

Should they contact guest services as noted above? 
obtain a  physician note?
automatic shutoff?

pack in the original box? 
pack any extension cord (no surge protector) in the original box? 
If not allowed, how do they “declare”  a hearing pad when boarding? 

Last question is due to spending a week traveling before boarding the ship. 
Thanks for the alternative suggestions.

ty 

You might start a brand new topic with your inquiry since this thread is so old, but definitely ask the Princess Access Dept about bringing a medically necessary heating pad.   

Don't just take one and expect the best because it may get confiscated