A Year of Cruising

VK3DQ

Hi Folks

After much soul searching i have had to abandon a proposed extensive trip to Europe for our 50th wedding bash and this has left me with a little problem how to celebrate the event , so we have decided to make the entire year a celebration ..

We start with the New Zealand cruise on Golden Princess over Christmas and the new year , and then for Dear Wife's otherwise known as the Viper birthday a cruise on Carnival Legend ex Melbourne

The big day is on 28th September will we will spend in flying to Sydney to board Carnival Spirit on the 29th were we shall expect to have booked gbenjo for our special treatment (After Five trips Ex Melbourne) will we see an improvement ???? :halo:

In May we have a possible trip to the gold coast and Hervey bay so a cruise ex Brisbane around that time is on the cards as is something for July 13 the MIL's birthday

and a quickie to Tasmania just before the Christmas rush would be nice

So with luck six cruises this year before the grim reaper sharpens his scythe

I had to abandon the Europe trip due to issues with travel insurance but also being unwilling to travel economy for 24 hours or more, even with stopovers the costs overran my budget so the Australia /South Pacific area was mandated and when I grabbed the deal on Carnival Legend for Viper's birthday it got me starting to consider Carnival

Now a question to any of you that have been on Pacific Aria or Eden , is the ship friendly for mobility challenged persons I understand that the main gangway consisted of steps like a ship boarding ladder making it impossible for wheel chairs or scooters any comments?

Enough for now as I have to be dragged to the shops for new shoes ...

Regards

John

Edited by VK3DQ

Have fun planning your cruises and local holidays closer to home. Sounds like it will be a wonderful year of celebrations.

As I have graduated to business class for long haul flights, I am also looking at cruises closer to home for better value holidays.

I recently learnt that you don't need a passport for local only cruising, so that adds exciting possibilities for future cruising.

Sounds great, as for the Aria (23 years old) and the Eden (24 years old), they are as mobility friendly as any ship that is nearly a quarter of a century old. They have the usual things like accessible cabins but there are not too many of them.

Hi John,

I think I might be having the same problem as you have. The cost of European cruises, roughly twice the cost of cruises downunder, business class airfares and over 75 health insurance is all getting too much. I've come to the conclusion that I will have to stick to local cruises, but even then airfares from and to NZ often cost as much as the cruise.

Your question about Eden and Aria.

I recently did a cruise on Aria and posted a short review.

I use a TravelScoot and on that trip was upgraded to an oceanview cabin and it was the first time I've had a cabin with a door that the scooter would fit through without having to part dismantle and tilt it through.

Inside cabins have shower only, but oceanview upwards have bath/showers with plenty of handrails to assist getting in and out.

The ship in general is easy for disabled people to get around as most doors are automatic. One annoying door that is not auto is the one from the Pantry to the outside aft deck.

The gangways have anti-slip bars that make it difficult

for wheelchairs and scooters and for safety reasons they do not let you attempt them on your own, but supply you with a couple of fit young seamen to assist you. There is also this help getting on and off tenders.

Iain