Library on Quest

Mackdogmolly

The library is quite well stocked - my problem has always been not finishing up a book before I must depart! Of course everyone's taste are individual. There is a small section of books left by previous guests

Kindles are brilliant for travelling. You can take as many books away with you as you want (I have hundreds on mine) and no worries about not finishing a book - you can read it at the airport, on the plane etc. Just get one!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Host Grandma Cruising

My husband and I are in an ongoing debate about this due to the books I take in my luggage! I read a lot and hate Kindles — reading on a screen is not relaxing to me (too much like work) and I just love actual books. I like to leave behind books in the libraries of the ships and resorts we visit and I write my name, where I’m from, dates I was on the ship and destination of the cruise. I guess I like the idea of leaving behind a memento of my experience and the idea of other guests reading the book and seeing that I had that experience on the ship at that moment in time. And it helps enhance the Library and make some luggage weight available for souvenirs on the way home. I’ve left books in both Quest and Journe’s libraries and looking forward to do so on Pursuit!

Well, we may have come to a compromise. DH already has an iPad for his piano tuning software (he’s a piano tuner) so he’s going to download the Kindle app and give it a try and maybe just take a couple of books. I’ll take a couple of books and trust that the library will provide the rest.

Edited by Mackdogmolly
Misspelled words

The trouble with trying to read on an iPad is that you get a lot of glare. It’s really hard to read in sunlight. With a Kindle Paperwhite you can adjust the brightness and the screen isn’t glossy. I have the Kindle App on my iPad, but never use it for reading a book on the pool or sun-deck because I can’t see the print, especially with my sunglasses on.

I was wondering about that. Maybe he can try the Kindle app on his iPad just to see if he can adjust to the e-reader experience before investing in a Kindle. Paperwhite is a good model for outdoor reading?

The trouble with trying to read on an iPad is that you get a lot of glare. It’s really hard to read in sunlight. With a Kindle Paperwhite you can adjust the brightness and the screen isn’t glossy. I have the Kindle App on my iPad, but never use it for reading a book on the pool or sun-deck because I can’t see the print, especially with my sunglasses on.

I was in the "oh no, I need to have a REAL book" camp for years.

Then I woke up.

My Kindle Fire (8") is virtually the exact size of a book. When pages turn they look exactly like a book page turning. It weighs less than a single book. And with additional onboard memory ($15 micro SD card) I have well over 500 books on it. Lots that I have not read as well as numerous reference (whether travel or otherwise) books loaded. And with that many choices, if I don't like something I simply move on to the next. Try that after you've dragged a 2lb. book 6000 miles across the world.

In addition, I subscribe to a couple of magazines, all downloaded. Hundreds of hours of music, all downloaded.

Plus, I use it as my computer for email, web reading as well as other tasks. Just as fast as my laptop and 1/10th the weight.

It's current cost? $79.00. Frequent sales bring it in under $60.

You couldn't pay me (well, an amount anyone would want to pay ;)) to go back to the stone age of dragging around real books.

I use a Kindle Paperwhite. In the U.K. it costs £110 & has a 4 gigabyte memory which will hold 1000s of books. The Paperwhite is different from the ordinary Kindle, mainly due to the inbuilt light. This is very handy if I want to read during the night as you don’t have to put the light on.

The ordinary Kindle is £60 in the U.K.

I buy most of my books from the Amazon Daily deal - books for 99pence. You just sign up on Amazon & they send you an email every day. I have so many now I doubt I’ll ever be able to read them all.

I was in the "oh no, I need to have a REAL book" camp for years.

You couldn't pay me (well, an amount anyone would want to pay ;)) to go back to the stone age of dragging around real books.

I drag around real books. Re-read Pompeii by Robert Harris from the Journey library, and left "Tangier" by Stephen Holgate on the ship when we disembarked. Many thanks to those who share books onboard!

Hi HGC,

That’s interesting. I didn’t realize the Kindle Paperwhite is different from the app on the iPad (which I have but don’t like very much.) May have to check out the Kindle. My other issue, and maybe you can help, is that while reading a book I frequently flip back to an earlier page to refresh my memory about characters or development (since I often fall asleep reading!). With reading on a device I find it hard to find an earlier page like I can in an actual book. Can one ‘dog ear’ a page on a device?

P.s. to Allison, I too always leave a book or two in the library and have picked up some excellent books there as well. I also bring lots of magazines I’m behind on reading and I leave them in the library...hoping others will enjoy them.

Hi HGC,

That’s interesting. I didn’t realize the Kindle Paperwhite is different from the app on the iPad (which I have but don’t like very much.) May have to check out the Kindle. My other issue, and maybe you can help, is that while reading a book I frequently flip back to an earlier page to refresh my memory about characters or development (since I often fall asleep reading!). With reading on a device I find it hard to find an earlier page like I can in an actual book. Can one ‘dog ear’ a page on a device?

P.s. to Allison, I too always leave a book or two in the library and have picked up some excellent books there as well. I also bring lots of magazines I’m behind on reading and I leave them in the library...hoping others will enjoy them.

Hi Bonnie.

Yes, you can mark as many previous locations as you want.

Check out the Kindle Fire. Not only can it function as your e-reader, it can do virtually everything that your Ipad can do in a much smaller package. Like I said , I have 500+ books on mine, 10 HD movies, hours of music and a Chrome browser that works just like my laptop. Well under US $100.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Hi HGC,

Bonnie,

The Kindle Paperwhite has a function called X-Ray that will do what you want. You can press and hold your finger on a character name & it will show you all of the previous passages in the book where that character was mentioned.

I also press and hold on a word that I'm not familiar with and a built in dictionary will give me the definition.

I would also recommend the Kindle Paperwhite or Kindle Voyage for reading over any tablet.

The E Ink display & lack of glare really helps with eye strain.

Bonnie,

I would also recommend the Kindle Paperwhite or Kindle Voyage for reading over any tablet.

The E Ink display & lack of glare really helps with eye strain.

Totally agree. I have tried using the Kindle app on my iPad & can’t get on with it at all, by I love my Kindle. It’s much more like reading a book. As others have said you can ‘mark’ pages, get word definitions, make notes etc.

I was also firmly in the I have to have a real book camp, now traveling without my kindle is unthinkable. I also prefer one of the basic kindles so I don’t get tempted to do anything but read.

Once you have got the hang of it you can easily go back to the previous chapter or to the last time a character or location appeared.

You can get many of the classics for free so now I can take all of Jane Austen’s books plus Anthony Trollop’s plus what ever I am reading now. There are some great travel classics I read station life in New Zealand by lady Mary Barker (1883) on our NZ cruise I don’t think it is even in print any more.

Finally my favourite feature is being able to look up words, just found out an Ulster mentioned in a Sherlock Holmes story was a long coat.

I guess that I am going to remain in the minority if so many are converting to kindle. For me it is not a question of being easy or not to transport the books. I do like the feeling of the real book. I am very thankful to those guests that bring books and then leave them on the ship. I do the same.

I guess that I am going to remain in the minority if so many are converting to kindle. For me it is not a question of being easy or not to transport the books. I do like the feeling of the real book. I am very thankful to those guests that bring books and then leave them on the ship. I do the same.

I too love real books travelberlin. I collect books and am lately trying to thin them out due to space limitations. I am now very interested in a Kindle PaperWhite, given all I've learned from this thread.