We cruised with our 9 month old (at the time) on Anthem in May of this year.
A few quick hitters from our trip:
- Absolutely take advantage of daycare if thats an option on your ship. Our little guy was a hand full much of the time so we looked forward to the few hours each night where we could drop him off an go see a show or have a few drinks by ourselves. It saved the trip for us.
- Be very flexible. If your little one is cranky be prepared to alter your plans. My wife went in with higher expectations than I did so when something caused our "plans" to derail she took it hard...at first anyway.
- The splash areas on these ships can be small and unexciting for a little guy. Sounds like yours may be potty trained by the time you sail. If so that opens up a new world of swim time for them!
- The crew adored our little guy. They went out of their way to try to feed him foods he would enjoy and play peek a boo with him. A couple waiters even made him napkin animals which he loved. You could tell many of them had kids they left behind.
- I think most RCL ships have bags of toys you can check out of Adventure Ocean so you dont have to overpack toys. We are actually cruising again in March and plan to take full advantage of this.
- Spoil them with ice cream! 🙂
- Order Inky the Octopus to the room prior to boarding, he will be on the bed when you get there. We plan to do this for our little guy on this next sailing. I have a feeling he will be carrying around with him the whole trip.
- If you see something you want in the gift shop, buy it right then and there, dont wait. We wanted to buy a pull-back toy ship but decided to come back for it later in the trip and it was sold out.
- Does your little one take baths or showers? Some folks recommend an inflatable tub for the shower if you don't have a tub in your cabin.
Our trip was challenging and stressful in many ways but we had enough fun where we decided to give it another try 10 month later 🙂 This time with a 19 month old who can walk and run.
Good luck! If you have any questions feel free to ask. I typed this up really quick but if you have something specific on your mind im sure i can remember.
Edit: And we didn't cruise so much for him as we did for ourselves. We knew going in he wouldnt remember it, but I guarantee we'll remember it!