Hi! My husband, 16 year old daughter, and I will be cruising to Cozumel and want to do a snorkeling excursion that goes to 3 reefs. Being a noob to snorkeling, I have many questions!
1. My husband will do a traditional snorkeling set with the kind of tube that won't let water inside of your mouth. My daughter and I will be getting full face masks. I have to due to TMJ and the fact that plankton creeps me out. If I got it in my mouth, I would throw up. Are there any brands you guys would recommend that are decent yet won't break the bank?
2. I want to get a rashguard for us to prevent sunburns. The rest of our bodies need sunscreen, but I think you're supposed to use the environmentally friendly stuff, right? Could you recommend a decent one?
3. I also want to get a swim belt--one of those sort of floatation devices because I want to spend my energy looking for cool fish etc and not treading water or swimming. I can swim though--just not the strongest swimmer for long distances etc. I have also seen pictures and video of people snorkeling, and a lot of times it looks like they're treading water with their necks craned downward. I am not that floaty, so I could see that being me-and I don't want a neck ache after 3 hours of that--so I thought the foam belts that go around your waist would be good. Do you think the snorkeling tour place will allow those belts? I know we might look totally dorky, but I figured as long as it helps our experience, all is cool. 🙂
4. OK--so a few years back when we went on a Disney cruise, we waded along the shore looking for shells. When we returned to the boat, we removed our swim shoes, rinsed them, and sat them in the tub to dry. The next day, those shoes reeked so bad we had to throw them away. I sort of figured that little creatures like plankton may have gotten caught in the crevices of the shoes and died making it smelly???? What can we do to prevent that from happening this time? And will it happen with our swim suits and snorkel stuff too? (This would be the first time I would be submerged in the ocean, so forgive my ignorance!)
5. Should we get ear plugs so the sea water won't go in our ears? Is there a benefit to doing this?
6. We plan to practice in some pools with the snorkel gear before the cruise. Having never done it for real before, I'm a little nervous but excited to stretch out of my comfort zone. Are there any snorkeling tips you could offer to us noobs?
7. Could you recommend some decent disposable underwater cameras? Also---let's say we purchase those disposable cameras...where do we get the pics developed? I didn't even know places developed film anymore.