Talking during a show

Solas36

Anyone found that people talking (loudly!!) all the way through a show had been a problem?

We were at one of the production team shows and I had to ask folks behind if they would please stop talking as it was really distracting. Lady nearby moved away. Guess that was her way of dealing with it. I felt I didn't want to cause further disturbance by moving. The people behind just continued to talk. At end I spoke to them and said I couldn't understand why they would do that especially knowing it was annoying others. The woman just said they were just enjoying themselves! And she wasn't going to get into an argument with me.

Just wonder what others think.

I haven't had this problem but you would think people who just wanted to talk could just find a better venue to do so. I likely would have moved like the lady did although sometimes there is a full house and nowhere to move.

Anyone found that people talking (loudly!!) all the way through a show had been a problem?

We were at one of the production team shows and I had to ask folks behind if they would please stop talking as it was really distracting. Lady nearby moved away. Guess that was her way of dealing with it. I felt I didn't want to cause further disturbance by moving. The people behind just continued to talk. At end I spoke to them and said I couldn't understand why they would do that especially knowing it was annoying others. The woman just said they were just enjoying themselves! And she wasn't going to get into an argument with me.

Just wonder what others think.

No, but on one of our last cruises I had a woman sitting next to me who kept checking her phone so the light was shining in my face all through the show. :rolleyes: I tried to move further down from her, but the room was packed. Good for you for speaking up! Unfortunately people like that just don't care. :(

I will generalize. We have found the Russian passengers the worst offenders during shows as well as on shore excursions. In fact we see this all over when there are groups of Russian tourists. They are having a good time themselves, laughing and calling out to each other but very intrusive to everyone else sharing the space with them.

Yes, I have had this happen, and see it as merely another venue where the lessening of consideration for others has permeated society.

There was a time when people knew enough not to talk during shows, movies, concerts, etc. If they slipped, a simple glare, or finger to the lips, was sufficient to remind them.

Unfortunately, that hasn't been true for years. People are so used to talking in their living rooms when watching TV that they have moved those "new normal" manners to public places, too.

Now, the best you can do sometimes is whack them with a heavy purse. ;)

Yes, I have had this happen, and see it as merely another venue where the lessening of consideration for others has permeated society.

There was a time when people knew enough not to talk during shows, movies, concerts, etc. If they slipped, a simple glare, or finger to the lips, was sufficient to remind them.

Unfortunately, that hasn't been true for years. People are so used to talking in their living rooms when watching TV that they have moved those "new normal" manners to public places, too.

Hi Ruth,

Dare I say I think you're being ageist? Rude people have been with us always. I hate behaviour like that, and I would turn around and say something to them. And if they didn't shut up, I would find a member of staff and complain. I've done that in cinemas.

However, someone mentioned Russians behaving in a manner we might find offensive. Have you ever been to the cinema in Hong Kong? The audience hold conversations on their phones all through the movie. There is a cultural difference there. But as for the generational difference? No; it's just cretins who should be asked to leave and has little to do with age but much to do with that awful "entitlement" mentality. And failing all else, as you say, whack them with something heavy.

Cheers,

Bev

Edited by Beejay4016

Brilliant! I would if I thought I could get away with it!

You are so right about lack of consideration. We brought our kids up to know that if the folk at the next table in a restaurant can hear them, then they are talking too loud!

Thanks for the reminder about some Asian audiences - went to a university student production in Mongolia once and could not believe how everyone was initially quiet ....until the production began. Then all the sudden the audience talking to each other and it became an uproar. And this was in the days before cell phones. Never seen anything like that before, nor after. But haven't been to the cinema in Hong Kong either. I'll take your word for it. :eek: Our Mongolian guide was perplexed when I even asked her about it. Her response was why not?

Edited by OlsSalt

I will generalize. We have found the Russian passengers the worst offenders during shows as well as on shore excursions. In fact we see this all over when there are groups of Russian tourists. They are having a good time themselves, laughing and calling out to each other but very intrusive to everyone else sharing the space with them.

These folk were English speakers.

Even more frustrating....people who talk loudly and persistently while the Adagio is playing. On the Maasdam - a group of 4 in a prime spot for listening (and also where everyone could hear them) that just didn't get the "shh's", fingers to the lips, etc. I thought two gentlemen were going to attack them at one point. Their displeasure was very evident on their faces.

I didn't get it as the loud group could have gone to the adjoining room, still easily heard the Adagio and talked without disturbing everyone else.

I felt so sorry for the performers as they were very good and deserved everyone's full attention.

Even more frustrating....people who talk loudly and persistently while the Adagio is playing. On the Maasdam - a group of 4 in a prime spot for listening (and also where everyone could hear them) that just didn't get the "shh's", fingers to the lips, etc. I thought two gentlemen were going to attack them at one point. Their displeasure was very evident on their faces.

I didn't get it as the loud group could have gone to the adjoining room, still easily heard the Adagio and talked without disturbing everyone else.

I felt so sorry for the performers as they were very good and deserved everyone's full attention.

Couldn't agree more. Adagio is my favorite thing to do between dinner and the show. On one cruise there was a couple who sat in there most nights also. They were constantly "shushing" everyone around them....imagine my surprise and disgust when one night THEY sat and talked loudly with friends who joined them. I guess the rules didn't matter when it was them. :rolleyes:

I've seen this, too. I remember two couples walking in after the music started. They sat down, ordered drinks and started chatting away. They finally picked up their drinks and left after numerous "shh's" from people who were there to enjoy to music.

Not that I am advocating whacking someone but I am really curious why Ruth has a heavy purse in the show room on a cruise - what do you carry??? Or is this just a 'statement'.

It's really just a small clutch, but it's got thick lead rod in the bottom. There's also a tear gas canister, and a two stage 630V tubular "cattle prod" capacitor. It's chic, stylish, and has room for lipsticks, face powder, cash, credit cards, and a Dillinger / Derringer. Available in full grain Napa leather, suede, or simulated crocodile or ostrich grain.

Edited by POA1

We must accept we now live in a me, me, me society.

No one seems to much care if they inconvenience of disturb anyone else if it is what they want to do including things that could cause accident or injury. They would barely shrug if they caused someone to fall. Look at how many hit and run auto accidents there are these days. It used to be so unusual. Now it is commonplace.

Yes, I too have experienced folks talking during the shows but I find it more annoying when people leave in the middle of song or dance number. If they are not enjoying the show, surely they could leave but to do it in the middle of a routine is not only rude to fellow passengers but to the performers as well. Perhaps these people believe because they are not paying $100 a seat as they might in a show theater at home, their actions are inconsequential.

My personal favorite is to bring a very, very large hat. If the people behind me are talking or thumping my seat, I put on this huge oversized hat and they can't see the screen or stage.

I'll remove it when they SHUT UP or quit giving me whiplash.

I remember a few years ago in Myrtle Beach when we paid quite a lot for tickets to hear a well known country singer whose name escapes me now. At any rate we wound up seated in front of Jim Bob and Bobbie Sue who were super excited to be there. They proceeded to sing along to every song to the point where we heard them instead of the singer we had paid to hear. No amount of frosty looks made any impression. They were in hillbilly heaven and spent a blissful evening. We, on the other hand left feeling like we had wasted our money.

Couldn't agree more. Adagio is my favorite thing to do between dinner and the show. On one cruise there was a couple who sat in there most nights also. They were constantly "shushing" everyone around them....imagine my surprise and disgust when one night THEY sat and talked loudly with friends who joined them. I guess the rules didn't matter when it was them. :rolleyes:

Is it Ok to talk during the Piano Man's songs?

When does background music become a concert?

I never listen to the strings myself, but I have wondered if it was a concert - no talking - or background music as I walk by. Some of the chairs face away from the performers as I recall .....seems to encourage conversation.

Is it Ok to talk during the Piano Man's songs?

When does background music become a concert?

I never listen to the strings myself, but I have wondered if it was a concert - no talking - or background music as I walk by. Some of the chairs face away from the performers as I recall .....seems to encourage conversation.

If you can make yourself heard during the piano man's songs then go for it.:D

The piano man really works the crowd and the noisier the bar the more successful he has been. Singing along and shouting out is encouraged.