Video of Celebrity Infinity Crashing Dock in Ketchikan Yesterday

sapper1

Speaking of shipyards, has there been word as to where they plan to fix the ship? Does Ketchikan (tiny Ketchikan) have facilities? Could she be sailed (crew only) somewhere not too far away where they do have facilities) in her current state?

Does that dock normally service only 1 ship or 2?

Speaking of shipyards, has there been word as to where they plan to fix the ship? Does Ketchikan (tiny Ketchikan) have facilities? Could she be sailed (crew only) somewhere not too far away where they do have facilities) in her current state?

From what I've seen, neither the USCG nor the class society will consider that dent to be sufficiently serious to warrant repair prior to the next scheduled drydock. Shell plating dents like this are frequently left alone for years. As long as the framing behind it has not been deformed beyond a certain point, it is not considered to have any structural effect on the strength of the ship.

I was surprised the ship was quiet. We've had ferries occasionally crash into a dock here and in the videos the ferry always sound 5 blasts of their whistle to warn anyone near the pier of impending collision.

What you say is accurate to a point when comes to the crew and ship response as the captain is the ship owners person in command. However at the Panama Canal if the master overruled the Canal pilot involving damage to the ship, other ship or the Canal itself, then the master has just made the ship owners financially and legally liable. If by some good fortune there is no damage in the master overruling the pilot, then the transit would be terminated and not resumed until the master was replaced. I have witnessed a cruise ship taken to the dock, denied transit until a new master was flown in from Miami. For the record it was a Royal Caribbean ship!:D

I used to work very closely with the Canal pilots and said to a good pilot friend... "I guess a Navy captain likes having aboard for the transit since it is you that is on the blame line." His answer was... "not really, if something serious were to happen then the Navy would have expected him to somehow finesse the situation to avoid the incident and he would probably be relieved as a result."

A cooperative effort between the pilot and master is crucial.

Thanks for the feedback, Sir!

Ketchikan does have a shipyard, run by Vigor Alaska, and located in between the end of the airport and the harbor. I've frequently seen ferries from the Alaska Marine Highway System in there getting serviced.

Infinity departed around 0130 hrs. the following AM so, like Cheng said, more than likely, metal shell plating was applied over the damage. This was done a couple of years back when HAL's MADM "made contact" with a side wall in Montreal, Que. as she was coming in

Ketchikan has four dedicated cruise ship docks, numbered one through four, one being the one closest to the 'Fish Pirates' Saloon' for those of you who have visited this fine establishment ;) Number four is the furthest away. This incident occurred at berth #1, the furthest one to the right on the map

KSY-aerial.jpg

o338dqm747Bv2vbTBYk-o.gif

Edited by Copper10-8

Guys,

Just a couple of words from me. I dislike commenting on Incidents like this of which I do not know all the details...

Unless one were on the bridge at the time of the incident

And have your STCW certificate, may I kindly suggest to refrain from blaming the Navigation crew, including Captain Berdos or the local Pilot? Thank you.

From what I can see, it IS possible that a collision with ms. Zaandam was averted, and it is obvious that the wind was not only very strong, but also gusty.

Berthing a large vessel requires considerable skill, even more so in challenging weather. Just like landing a widebody jet in gusty conditions.

One thing is certain. Celebrity operates a "no blame" policy, as do ALL Safety conscious cruise lines ( and airlines). This includes also HAL.

The incident will be analysed, conclusions made, recomendations given and if necessary extra or new training given either fleetwide of to those involved on the incident. Lessons will be learned.

Only if there was a DELIBERATE disregard of Standard Operating Procedures and/or Limitations, Diciplinary action will be taken.

Best regards,

Despegue

Captain B747-400

Chairman of TCAS Maritime and Aviation Safety

I have witnessed a cruise ship taken to the dock, denied transit until a new master was flown in from Miami. For the record it was a Royal Caribbean ship!:D

I remember the occasion. I was in another ship and we waiting to start transit Balboa. We heard that one of the small RCCL ships was over at Balboa 'waiting' for the new master to come on board. His 'crime'? Well, he jumped the cue and thought that he was there and said, "I'm here. Where is my pilot and we are moving!' He was told to stay where he was. He insisted that he was a cruise ship... he had priority! Told to go back to anchor and wait instructions. By this time the ship was in the channel. He was then told, "Your ship will not to be going through the canal today!" The ship went to a berth alongside and the RRCL was told to get a new captain! Silly ass.

I wish I could remember the date. She was the little ships... NORDIC PRINCE I think. Might have been late 1997... on the final voyage of the ROTTERDAM.

Guys,

Just a couple of words from me. I dislike commenting on Incidents like this of which I do not know all the details...

Unless one were on the bridge at the time of the incident

And have your STCW certificate, may I kindly suggest to refrain from blaming the Navigation crew, including Captain Berdos or the local Pilot? Thank you.

From what I can see, it IS possible that a collision with ms. Zaandam was averted, and it is obvious that the wind was not only very strong, but also gusty.

Berthing a large vessel requires considerable skill, even more so in challenging weather. Just like landing a widebody jet in gusty conditions.

One thing is certain. Celebrity operates a "no blame" policy, as do ALL Safety conscious cruise lines ( and airlines). This includes also HAL.

The incident will be analysed, conclusions made, recomendations given and if necessary extra or new training given either fleetwide of to those involved on the incident. Lessons will be learned.

Only if there was a DELIBERATE disregard of Standard Operating Procedures and/or Limitations, Diciplinary action will be taken.

Best regards,

Despegue

Captain B747-400

Chairman of TCAS Maritime and Aviation Safety

Dankuwel Kaptein / Thanks Captain

I remember the occasion. I was in another ship and we waiting to start transit Balboa. We heard that one of the small RCCL ships was over at Balboa 'waiting' for the new master to come on board. His 'crime'? Well, he jumped the cue and thought that he was there and said, "I'm here. Where is my pilot and we are moving!' He was told to stay where he was. He insisted that he was a cruise ship... he had priority! Told to go back to anchor and wait instructions. By this time the ship was in the channel. He was then told, "Your ship will not to be going through the canal today!" The ship went to a berth alongside and the RRCL was told to get a new captain! Silly ass.

I wish I could remember the date. She was the little ships... NORDIC PRINCE I think. Might have been late 1997... on the final voyage of the ROTTERDAM.

There was an experience once of a canal pilot coming onboard via the Jacob's ladder and being asked to show his pilot's identification card (with picture). He became quite upset and refused, adding to that refusal, "I am not obliged to show you my I.D. and if you insist, I'm leaving and this ship is not going anywhere"

There was an experience once of a canal pilot coming onboard via the Jacob's ladder and being asked to show his pilot's identification card (with picture). He became quite upset and refused, adding to that refusal, "I am not obliged to show you my I.D. and if you insist, I'm leaving and this ship is not going anywhere"

Good enough. Let the guy drive the boat. We want to get on with our day in the Canal!

'Dolphin Club' from the old ROTTERDAM. To become a member of the Dolphin Club you have to do a transit of the Panama Canal. Not as easy as that. You have to be in the Oceaan Bar BEFORE you hit the locks and you have to stay there all day until you get through the canal and leave at the other end of the transit. Yes, a few were 'guilty'.... including one Hotel Manager. By the end of the day we were quite 'untidy'!

Good enough. Let the guy drive the boat. We want to get on with our day in the Canal!

'Dolphin Club' from the old ROTTERDAM. To become a member of the Dolphin Club you have to do a transit of the Panama Canal. Not as easy as that. You have to be in the Oceaan Bar BEFORE you hit the locks and you have to stay there all day until you get through the canal and leave at the other end of the transit. Yes, a few were 'guilty'.... including one Hotel Manager. By the end of the day we were quite 'untidy'!

That had the potential of a lot of 'Dark & Stormy's' ;)

Seems to me this incident took place in the middle 90s, so it could have very well occurred in 97. The ship was told not to enter the channel and ignored the orders not to do so. When the ship received the pilot they only had permission to proceed to dock in Balboa at which point they were denied transit. The ship did actually transit that day around 5 or 6 in the afternoon when RCI provided a new captain. Then RCI had to deal with some upset passengers who were very unhappy they did not receive the daylight transit that was advertised! I don't recall the name of the ship, but I might be able to find out.

While the majority of the pilots I dealt with were decent people, what you related unfortunately describes a few of them. Thankfully the good ones out numbered the bad ones.

Copper, do you know if that shipyard is state owned or private, as it seems to be handling mostly ferries. Also, I wonder how well they are to handle a ship like the Infinity. In your photo, I think the vessel on the right is the Kennecott, my next ship, It is 382 feet long and I thin one of the biggest in the fleet; a far cry from the size of the Infinity.

Roy

Copper, do you know if that shipyard is state owned or private, as it seems to be handling mostly ferries. Also, I wonder how well they are to handle a ship like the Infinity. In your photo, I think the vessel on the right is the Kennecott, my next ship, It is 382 feet long and I thin one of the biggest in the fleet; a far cry from the size of the Infinity.

Roy

Hi Roy; pretty sure the Ketchikan shipyard is city-owned and they only do work up to medium-size ferries. Don't believe they have handled, or able to handle, ships the size of Infinity, or any large cruise ships for that matter. Their dry docks are 225 and 460 feet long. That pic has three blue and gold Alaska Marine Highway System ferries in it, the largest one (below right) could very well be your m/v Kennicott. Enjoy that trip on her!
Edited by Copper10-8

I don't think the damage was serious. Looked most cosmetic... scrapped spain. Most of the fenders took the blow and and the pilings were knocked and so the gangway was knocked off the pilings. No damage to the ship.... unless they come up with more information.

The wind was gusting for sure but must not forget that there is a very strong current passing the shoreline.

Remember the rule: You never approach any dock faster than you want to hit it!

Seems to me this incident took place in the middle 90s, so it could have very well occurred in 97. The ship was told not to enter the channel and ignored the orders not to do so. When the ship received the pilot they only had permission to proceed to dock in Balboa at which point they were denied transit. The ship did actually transit that day around 5 or 6 in the afternoon when RCI provided a new captain. Then RCI had to deal with some upset passengers who were very unhappy they did not receive the daylight transit that was advertised! I don't recall the name of the ship, but I might be able to find out.

Yes, I'm quite certain this is the same incident. I was on the final HAL cruise of the s.s. ROTTERDAM, I was passenger but was up on the bridge and heard the comment from the pilot... and I saw the small ship sitting at the pier over at Balboa. Norwegian Bravdo!

Hi Roy; pretty sure the Ketchikan shipyard is city-owned and they only do work up to medium-size ferries. Don't believe they have handled, or able to handle, ships the size of Infinity, or any large cruise ships for that matter. Their dry docks are 225 and 460 feet long. That pic has three blue and gold Alaska Marine Highway System ferries in it, the largest one (below right) could very well be your m/v Kennicott. Enjoy that trip on her!

The shipyard may be state owned, but as you said earlier, it is operated by Vigor, which is a private company and owns several shipyards.

I don't think the damage was serious. Looked most cosmetic... scrapped spain. Most of the fenders took the blow and and the pilings were knocked and so the gangway was knocked off the pilings. No damage to the ship.... unless they come up with more information.

The wind was gusting for sure but must not forget that there is a very strong current passing the shoreline.

Remember the rule: You never approach any dock faster than you want to hit it!

Another thread on this has a close up, and there is a hole in the ship's side. It is not too bad, probably a 1 meter square patch (hole is much smaller, but as you know, you've got to get back to "fair" steel), something I think Vigor in Ketchican could do, but the ship has sailed as far as I know, and most likely will do some temp repairs until they can remove the cabin walls in way of the repair and get a good fire watch, but the patch can be done at any dock, and would most likely be a permanent repair. Crane support, class welder, a dock arm and 6-8 hours later its done.

Photos on KTUU Anchorage website.

Edited by chengkp75

Hey, in Hawaii, we had the Security Officer turn away an armed and uniformed USCG sea marshal for lack of an ID. He blustered and stomped, but his CO said the Security Officer was correct, and if he had let the Coastie onboard without ID they would have had to report an ISPS violation.

No one is exempt. Just recently, we had a pilot coming to our ship at an oil dock in Houston. He had not been to that facility before, and the facility told him he had to watch safety and security presentations before they would let him into the facility. He refused and left, and Houston pilots were left with egg on their face when they had to explain the delay.

Hi Copper,

Quick question, you said the incident happened at Berth 1, which from what I remember is across from Salmon Landing at the edge of the harbor.

On the Ketchikan port schedule it shows Infinity was scheduled for Berth 3.

On Noordam in 2 weeks and port schedule shows us docking at Berth 1 on 6/24.

Does this mean we are tendering?[emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

The shipyard may be state owned, but as you said earlier, it is operated by Vigor, which is a private company and owns several shipyards.

Another thread on this has a close up, and there is a hole in the ship's side. It is not too bad, probably a 1 meter square patch (hole is much smaller, but as you know, you've got to get back to "fair" steel), something I think Vigor in Ketchican could do, but the ship has sailed as far as I know, and most likely will do some temp repairs until they can remove the cabin walls in way of the repair and get a good fire watch, but the patch can be done at any dock, and would most likely be a permanent repair. Crane support, class welder, a dock arm and 6-8 hours later its done.

Photos on KTUU Anchorage website.

On the Celebrity board, there is a close up pix of the gash. The outer hull was ripped open, you can see a grey inner plating, and there's a smaller hole in the middle of it all with fiberglass insulation sticking out. So, this is much more than a cosmetic scrape. Another post said they moved the ship to another dock, cancelled all tours, and let the passengers roam around the town for 2-1/2 hours. They also had a welding crew come by and weld a plate over the opening. Then, the US Coast Guard approved the ship for departure. It arrived safely in Vancouver.

On the Celebrity board, there is a close up pix of the gash. The outer hull was ripped open, you can see a grey inner plating, and there's a smaller hole in the middle of it all with fiberglass insulation sticking out. So, this is much more than a cosmetic scrape. Another post said they moved the ship to another dock, cancelled all tours, and let the passengers roam around the town for 2-1/2 hours. They also had a welding crew come by and weld a plate over the opening. Then, the US Coast Guard approved the ship for departure. It arrived safely in Vancouver.

That's the photo I was referring to. There is no "inner plating" and there is no "outer and inner hull" at this point, there is just one hull plating, about 1/4"-3/8" thick. That is the inside of the outer plating that has been turned around. And while to you it may be more than a "cosmetic scrape", that's just about all it really is. I kinda figured they would weld a patch over it, and that is all that is required to be "seaworthy" by USCG and class definitions. And yes, that can be repaired in about 8 hours with the proper preparation and be considered a permanent repair, and while it may not be done this time in Vancouver while they prep the interior for hotwork, it most certainly can get done in Vancouver at the dock during turn around. Done quite a few of these kinds of things over the years.