Woman misses the Carnival Legend in Ketchikan, AK

bluerodeo

I have always wondered how often someone misses the ship after a port. I never expected to see it happen on my cruise this last week! I caught it on video (sorry for the vertical video, it all happened so fast!)

This video was taken at 1:08 PM, 38 minutes after the designated on board time (8 minutes after sail away). She was heckled by pretty bad by people both on and off the ship. I don't think she expected to get left behind. Before I started rolling, she was pleading with people out on their balconies to call someone for her. Then as the ship started drifting away, she can be heard screaming "Pull it back!"

Several people asked about what happened to her during the cruise director Q&A. The cruise director said it was likely she was forced to fly to Seattle on her own dime.

Our last cruise they announced a mans name for probably half an hour after we were supposed to sail. I don't know if he ever made it. Another port people were so slow to come back on. It was like they didn't care. Did see a coil,e running for it.

I hope she had trip insurance.

This happened a couple of weeks ago. 79 year-old woman decides to go by herself up to Mendenhall glacier and took a wrong turn. She didn't make it back to the ship (Coral Princess), and spent the night out in the wilderness. Story here. She got lucky.

http://juneauempire.com/local/2016-08-04/lost-glacier-elderly-woman-spends-night-woods-rescues-self

Edited by elliair

Oh my!! I just don't get how that happens. Well, I do... people not paying attention to things, off in their own world, not noticing the time, etc... Because honestly, if something had truly happened to you, I would think you would contact the ship directly, or the authorities so they could assist you in that. This is like the couple in the Caribbean who missed the ship, and she had a bunch of shopping bags. Again, most likely in their own little world!

I have always wondered how often someone misses the ship after a port. I never expected to see it happen on my cruise this last week! I caught it on video (sorry for the vertical video, it all happened so fast!)

This video was taken at 1:08 PM, 38 minutes after the designated on board time (8 minutes after sail away). She was heckled by pretty bad by people both on and off the ship. I don't think she expected to get left behind. Before I started rolling, she was pleading with people out on their balconies to call someone for her. Then as the ship started drifting away, she can be heard screaming "Pull it back!"

Several people asked about what happened to her during the cruise director Q&A. The cruise director said it was likely she was forced to fly to Seattle on her own dime.

Hey! Hey! Hey! Hey! Come Back!

Too too funny!

Missing the ship is absolutely one of my biggest concerns. During any shore excursion with my family I am never 100% relaxed as you never know what might happen. I am the most relaxed on any cruise after we are all safe and sound back on the ship on the last port day.

She will blame every one but her self.

And she will be fined $300 for violating the PVSA.

I have always been curious about that. Seeing she is already on U.S. soil, will they send her a bill? Is the cruise line responsible for notifying the government?

On another note, while I do have sympathy for pier runners it never fails to amaze me how they can let that happen.

Hey! Hey! Hey! Hey! Come Back!

Too too funny!

Missing the ship is absolutely one of my biggest concerns. During any shore excursion with my family I am never 100% relaxed as you never know what might happen. I am the most relaxed on any cruise after we are all safe and sound back on the ship on the last port day.

Hence....book your shore excursions through Carnival and they HAVE to wait for you....it's their DIME

I have always been curious about that. Seeing she is already on U.S. soil, will they send her a bill? Is the cruise line responsible for notifying the government?

On another note, while I do have sympathy for pier runners it never fails to amaze me how they can let that happen.

Because the passenger manifest will be changed to reflect that she is no longer onboard, the cruise line is fined by CBP. The ticket contract is what gives the cruise line the right to pass the fine on to the passenger, so it will be added to the onboard account.

Hence....book your shore excursions through Carnival and they HAVE to wait for you....it's their DIME

They don't have to wait for a company sponsored excursion. They will wait if the cost of waiting is less than the cost of flying the passengers to the next port and compensation. Things like weather, tides, docking schedules, and transit speeds all contribute to the decision by the Captain and corporate as to whether they will wait or not.

Too funny..

Wish airlines would do that

We waited on the plane for an hour in Aruba waiting for people to go through customs.. was the last plane and all others booked for 3 days..

should of left them there.. haha

And they were upset cause nobody would give their seats up so they can all seat together...:confused:

Because the passenger manifest will be changed to reflect that she is no longer onboard, the cruise line is fined by CBP. The ticket contract is what gives the cruise line the right to pass the fine on to the passenger, so it will be added to the onboard account.

Makes sense, so this must happen, while not regularly not that infrequently. If it were to the cruise lines error I am sure they eat the cost, but with this type of scenario, it would be charged to the violator themselves. Thanks as always for your broad sea faring knowledge, you add a lot to CC.

The independent excursions will get you back on time. It is when you go off to do your own thing. In Istanbul, some of us left the independent tour to go to the spice market. We gave ourselves plenty of time but then none of the cabs would go the 3km to the ship. There were 4 of us but 2 were elderly and could not have walked quickly to the ship.

I ended up offering 10 euros to a cab driver with the help of our guide who stayed with us to translate. The other woman paid half (she was with her mother) and the other elderly person squawked about giving too much cash. It would have cost a lot more than 10 euros if we had left her at the spice market! She ended up giving me some money when she realized how close we came to missing the ship. Once we boarded we heard panicked cries of two people whose young daughters (18-19) had not made it - turned out they had taxi troubles too. The ship waited and they boarded about 30 minutes after we were supposed to leave.

They don't have to wait for a company sponsored excursion. They will wait if the cost of waiting is less than the cost of flying the passengers to the next port and compensation. Things like weather, tides, docking schedules, and transit speeds all contribute to the decision by the Captain and corporate as to whether they will wait or not.

This is one reason why we miss out on excursions. We worry about the excursion people getting us back in time. If the excursion is only for 3 hours in the morning no problem, it's those all day ones that I worry about.