Platinum/Elite Internet Packages Trial Update

Pam in CA

An update on the Internet packages being trialed on the Grand with respect to Platinum/Elite passengers. You have the choice of your minutes as in the past or discounted rates for the packages. This photo was taken a few minutes ago on the Grand and texted to me.

6b6a5ead975ab48347d057458db2d392.jpg

As an aside. Just off the Grand today and can report they apparently have some system issues with the changes. My iPad (new with current iOS) incurred hundreds of error messages each day. Did not have the issue on the Emerald last month or since arriving home

THe error message imap.email.com cannot connect to server was relentless. Could only stop the error message when I disconnected totally from ship wireless network. Tech staff was clueless.

As an aside. Just off the Grand today and can report they apparently have some system issues with the changes. My iPad (new with current iOS) incurred hundreds of error messages each day. Did not have the issue on the Emerald last month or since arriving home

THe error message imap.email.com cannot connect to server was relentless. Could only stop the error message when I disconnected totally from ship wireless network. Tech staff was clueless.

This can probably be fixed by going into your Mail settings and changing how often Mail is checked to “Manual”. That way it is only trying to connect to email when you actually open the email app and not all the time.

Thanks for the clarification.

It looks like all the speculation about being unlimited internet was unfounded after all.

That obviously couldn't be allowed.

Tru dat!

The describe the "Premium Plan" as "Audio/Video Streaming and more"

...with a 500MB / day limit.

I don't think one is going to be doing a lot of streaming with 500MB

I also wonder if the MB plans are limited to a single device.

Can I use it on my phone, and on my laptop?

I posted this one the other thread for new internet packages and no one responded. Perhaps too soon to know.

It is not clear to me, especially if you carefully read the picture Pam posted, whether the old "per minute" plan means you somehow have the old speed or whether you also benefit from the "superior experience" of the new "per day" plans. Maybe the advertising gimmick phrase "superior experience" refers to the expanded data limit. But the internet service is supposed to be faster somehow.

Don't believe I have seen an actual internet user posting experience from the Grand. Maybe too soon to expect that.

Also, I might want to use my free minutes and then switch to a daily plan for balance of cruise. I think we should be able to do that, but not sure if possible.

Or there should be some reasonable equivalency if want a daily plan for the entire cruise that P&E's get either some free days or a good discount off the normal price.

I think it is about time to send thoughts and ideas to Customer Relations and see if any of it affects the packages as roll out beyond Grand. What do fellow P&E's think should happen with our benefit considering the new offering?

And who can confirm that it is one new speed service for all passengers regardless of the plan chosen? It seems difficult to think they would program it for two speeds, or could manage that with a single wireless network.

Good questions and ones I’ve asked my friends currently on the Grand to double-check. I’m seeing them tomorrow in Long Beach when the Grand ports there and will hopefully get some answers.

Something to keep in mind is that this is still a trial and subject to change and modifications. It’s not set in stone.

Two photos sent to me by my friends from the IC on the Grand this morning. She said the speed was very good. The other photo is the flyer for non-Platinum/Elite passengers. No mention that I could see of just one device.

562851ea8e59fab6ef50b782a827aaf0.jpg

31ce14afbe0d4853c84a7ac2384c75bf.jpg