Illness/Seasickness/Norovirus! Oh My!

lookin2cruise2017

Hi Everyone,

I am going to be cruising for the first time on Carnival Elation on April 3. It is my husband, 5 year old daughter and I traveling. I am a germophobe and I have been reading a lot about people getting sick on these ships and Norovirus being very common. I also have a lower immune system due to Lupus. Im having anxiety attacks already just thinking about all these illnesses! lol I understand there has to be some illness because of the close quarters...but is it really that bad? I should add I am a teacher and I am around sick kids all the time, this should have helped build up my immune system right? ha!

On top of this, Im worried about getting sea sick. I dont get sick in cars or on planes (I used to get a little woosy but I think it was from anxiety), I also dont get sick on small boats on a lake. But we took a whale watching tour in CA and I felt sick the whole time and half the ship was puking, including my poor mom. Is the chance of getting sea sick that great? Can you really feel the ship moving that much? I am going to go to my doctor and ask him what I can do for the sea sickness should it occur...maybe something for anxiety too :)

Just looking for opinions on the illness/sea sickness topic...is it true? Should I worry? Am I making a bigger deal out of it than necessary?

You are going to make yourself sick with worry

Wash your hands often do not touch your face before you wash your hands

The ships may move in bumpy seas take some seasick meds with you incase

stay near the middle of ship if you feel seasick not near the bow

just go & enjoy

IF there is "noro" onboard, it comes from the passengers...you are around it in school on a daily basis...kids are germ factories! You are no more likely to get it on the ship than from schools, nursing homes, or any venue where lots of people are jammed into 1 space.

Agree that you are as likely to get sick at school than on the ship - but do verify with your physician if there are any special precautions. As far as seasick - the large cruise ships may roll with high seas but nothing like a whale watching boat. Again verify with your MD what medications would be acceptable with your other medications. We find that ginger (I add a drop of essential oil to a glass of water) solves any issues though we have never had severe enough waves to cause serious issues. Relax and have a great time.

Keep in mind that you hear about Noro on cruise ships so often because they are required to report it to the CDC if it reaches a certain % of passengers, I think 3%. Other institutions do not have the same reporting requirements but you still hear about plenty of outbreaks in schools, hotels, sports teams, nursing homes, etc. Also remember that if a ship reports 3% of its passengers have contracted Noro, that means that 97% of them DID NOT!

We've taken over 30 cruises and have never gotten sick on a cruise ship. Can it happen? Sure, but probably no more likely than other public places, like a school! I taught for 20 years and did catch lots of stuff; mostly colds at the time. I think it does build up your immune system as I haven't had a cold in twenty years or the flu.

Since your immune system is not the best, do take the normal precautions your doctor and common sense dictates, but don't stress over it. As others stated, cruises are required to report noro cases over 3%. And always get big publicity over it. Hardly any other business/school is required to do this.

The big ships that sail now are very stable; often we don't even know when we leave port. I haven't been seasick in many years. Like everything there are no guarantees, but the chance of serious seasickness is slim. Bring meds and/or ginger and you will almost certainly be fine.

Small ships or boats like whale watching tours or fishing can be very bad for seasickness and just can't be compared to cruise ships in this area, which are more like floating hotels.

On top of this, Im worried about getting sea sick. I dont get sick in cars or on planes (I used to get a little woosy but I think it was from anxiety), I also dont get sick on small boats on a lake. But we took a whale watching tour in CA and I felt sick the whole time and half the ship was puking, including my poor mom. Is the chance of getting sea sick that great? Can you really feel the ship moving that much? I am going to go to my doctor and ask him what I can do for the sea sickness should it occur...maybe something for anxiety too :)

Just looking for opinions on the illness/sea sickness topic...is it true? Should I worry? Am I making a bigger deal out of it than necessary?

The best approach really is to consult your doctor on your concerns, and possibly get prescriptions if warranted. After that, just think of the enjoyment you will get out of cruising on the Elation. Conquer your own fears and think positive!

Happy sailing!

Hi Everyone,

I am going to be cruising for the first time on Carnival Elation on April 3. It is my husband, 5 year old daughter and I traveling. I am a germophobe and I have been reading a lot about people getting sick on these ships and Norovirus being very common. I also have a lower immune system due to Lupus. Im having anxiety attacks already just thinking about all these illnesses! lol I understand there has to be some illness because of the close quarters...but is it really that bad? I should add I am a teacher and I am around sick kids all the time, this should have helped build up my immune system right? ha!

You or your child is more likely to bring noro home from school than you are to get it on a cruise. That is not to say that it doesn't happen, and that when it does it is not fun at all, but it is more common in schools, and nursing homes than it is on cruise ships.

Getting sea sick is a different matter. Very unpleasant, but quickly resolves itself when you hit solid ground. The way to avoid it is to take something like Bonine before the cruise starts and then daily, that way if you are prone to sea sickness you should be protected.

14 cruises and I only got sick once - it was just a cold, got it from a family member travelling with me so I would have caught it back home anyways. There's hand sanitizer all over, just use it whenever you like for an added layer of protection.

As for seasickness, maybe this video will help with that anxiety...

c82ToiVTvOY

That was filmed on one of the Elation's sister ships (i.e. same class). Hope it helps!

14 cruises and I only got sick once - it was just a cold, got it from a family member travelling with me so I would have caught it back home anyways. There's hand sanitizer all over, just use it whenever you like for an added layer of protection.

As for seasickness, maybe this video will help with that anxiety...

c82ToiVTvOY

That was filmed on one of the Elation's sister ships (i.e. same class). Hope it helps!

The Catalina Channel is known for its movement. Very good video.

If you survive being around children in school each day without bouts of noro, you will be fine on board. The odds are no greater for noro on a ship than in a school, or a mall, or, or, or.....

As others have said, the ship does not make you sick - a person coming on board who already has the bug typically is how it starts. And the ship's crew always is cleaning the ship and when a case does occur, take extra measures to ensure cleanliness.

Lastly, the actual amount of people who contract noro when present on a ship is very low proportionately to the total on board. You frequently hear of ships with perhaps as many as 30 - 50 reported cases - sometimes more - but the typical ship holds between 2,500 - 3,000 passengers. Do the math.... The odds are very much in your favor to remain healthy. 25 years of cruising - not one bout with noro.

Relax and enjoy your cruise.

We've been on 14-16 cruises. My daughters also teach and I often volunteer at one of the schools. I haven't been on a cruise with noro, but I know the ships are incredibly cautious to keep the germs contained as much as possible. You'll be greeted at the door of the restaurants by someone with hand sanitizer and you won't get in without sanitizing your hands. You're encouraged to wash your hands often. I have a compromised immune system too. My GP prescribes an antibiotic or me to take with me as a precaution. I haven't had to use it. You could get this same virus at a land-based vacation at a big hotel or resort. As for the sea sickness, I suffered greatly from motion-sickness as a child and grew out of it. In all the cruises we have been on, I had not had any problem with it until a couple of cruises back. I got suddenly struck with it. I immediately took a Bonine, went to the cabin and laid down and after a few hours, I was fine. I have no idea what caused it. I've been on cruises where the seas were very rough (Paciic from Hawaii to Ensenada) and never had a problem. We were not in rough waters. In fact, we had barely gotten out of the port. I now take a Bonine, starting the day before the cruise and I have been fine. I do this as a pre-caution. It has never stood in my way of going on a cruise. Neither has the slight chance of the noro virus. I truly feel that I'm at a greater risk from a virus when I volunteer at the elementary school.