QE headed for Vigo?

Froxfield

QE, bound for Southampton, seems to have changed course and be heading for Vigo with an expected arrival of 20.45. I don't think (could be wrong!) that this was scheduled. Can anyone offer an explanation? Medical emergency or technical problem?

QE, bound for Southampton, seems to have changed course and be heading for Vigo with an expected arrival of 20.45. I don't think (could be wrong!) that this was scheduled. Can anyone offer an explanation? Medical emergency or technical problem?

You got my attention with this post. I have no explanation, but definitely not a scheduled stop based on any currently posted itinerary. An examination of her past track shows QE altered course from a northerly track to a northeast track toward Vigo at about 15:30 UTC. As Lanky Lad has just posted, she is now pulling up alongside the dock in Vigo as I post this reply.

Hi. I am currently on The QE. We made a detour to Vigo for a medical emergency as the patient was too ill for a helicopter evacuation - No word as to wether we will be arriving back in Southampton on time yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Mine too. We had another medical emergency in Rhodes, a small fire after Katakolon and a 5 hour delay in Piraeus for a electrical problem so all in all and eventful voyage this time.

Hi. I am currently on The QE. We made a detour to Vigo for a medical emergency as the patient was too ill for a helicopter evacuation - No word as to wether we will be arriving back in Southampton on time yet.

Thanks for the update, DarrenBG. Wow, that has been an eventful voyage!

For what it's worth, AIS is currently reporting an ETA for QE in Southampton of 8:45am local time on October 25 which would be 2 hours 15 minutes behind schedule. Now the information provided by AIS is certainly not gospel and has been known to be off by quite a bit in the past. Of course any updates you receive on board will be more reliable. Just reporting what I am seeing at the moment.

Regards, John

Thank you, Darren, for your confirmation of our guesses. Thoughts are with the unfortunate patient and his/her family. Unfortunately, this sort of thing seems to be a not uncommon part of cruise life. I hope the patient will make a full recovery.

Thanks for the update, DarrenBG. Wow, that has been an eventful voyage!

For what it's worth, AIS is currently reporting an ETA for QE in Southampton of 8:45am local time on October 25 which would be 2 hours 15 minutes behind schedule. Now the information provided by AIS is certainly not gospel and has been known to be off by quite a bit in the past. Of course any updates you receive on board will be more reliable. Just reporting what I am seeing at the moment.

AIS information which should be imputed by the ship usually gives an ETA to the pilot station of the destination, in which case it would be75-90 minutes later from the Nab, which looking at her track with a 1530 detour might be correct, Vigo to Southampton having just checked Reeds and some charts is about 650 miles so she might make up time

Edited by sogne
add

AIS information which should be imputed by the ship usually gives an ETA to the pilot station of the destination, in which case it would be75-90 minutes later from the Nab, which looking at her track with a 1530 detour might be correct, Vigo to Southampton having just checked Reeds and some charts is about 650 miles so she might make up time

Thanks for the clarification, sogne. I did not realize the ETA entered into AIS on the ship is the ETA to the pilot station, not to the terminal.

QE is currently doing about 19.5 knots. When I do some rudimentary calculations from her current position using marinetraffic's "waypoint" feature, the best I can come up with is an ETA to the Nab of about 8:00am local time at that speed. So it's not looking too good from here for an on time arrival into Southampton unless I have miscalculated (which is highly likely) or she is able to increase her speed. Time will tell.

Regards,

John (who is only pretending he know's anything about maritime navigation :))

Thanks all for the updates, we have been informed that we will be at the Nab Tower around 8:30 and in Ocean Terminal around 11:00, not sure how this will affect the next voyage departure time after ours.

Regards

Thanks all for the updates, we have been informed that we will be at the Nab Tower around 8:30 and in Ocean Terminal around 11:00, not sure how this will affect the next voyage departure time after ours.

Regards

we experienced this on a Baltic cruise last year arrived 1100, departure for next cruise was delayed until around 1800

Thanks again for the update Darren, it looks as if we have a few CC regulars on the next cruise down to the Canaries.

I hope tomorrow isn't too chaotic in Southampton.

Yes I am on QE tomorrow staying in hotel tonight so wondering what time we will have to check in and if it will be delayed and wondering if it is what to do.

Thanks for the clarification, sogne. I did not realize the ETA entered into AIS on the ship is the ETA to the pilot station, not to the terminal.

QE is currently doing about 19.5 knots. When I do some rudimentary calculations from her current position using marinetraffic's "waypoint" feature, the best I can come up with is an ETA to the Nab of about 8:00am local time at that speed. So it's not looking too good from here for an on time arrival into Southampton unless I have miscalculated (which is highly likely) or she is able to increase her speed. Time will tell.

Regards,

John (who is only pretending he know's anything about maritime navigation :))

QE is currently doing about 22.5 knots, by using that same waypoint feature and following the main shipping lanes, then 'branching off' roughly when they normally do, I make it about 398nm and an ETA 04:00 UTC to the Nab which is 5am local time, so hopefully they can make up most, if not all of the time.

Cunard have just posted this:

Due to a medical emergency yesterday, Queen Elizabeth will be arriving one hour later than originally planned in to Southampton. If you are travelling on this voyage, please therefore arrive one hour later than your advertised embarkation time. Thank you for your understanding.