Sailing Past Head Light Lighthouse?

Dcoy

Does anyone know if cruise ships sail past the Head Light Lighthouse when pulling into or out off Portland. I think it would be a different picture of it from sea instead of land. If not, maybe some of the other lighthouses in the area?

If it makes a difference, we’ll be arriving from Boston and leaving heading to Bar Harbor.

Thanks

Don

Yes, this is one of the things I recommend all the time, as opposed to getting on a bus or taxi for the 20 minute ride to Fort Williams Park to see the Head Light. About 45 minutes prior to docking time (and you can ask real nice at guest services the night before if they could call the bridge and confirm) would be best to be on deck, on port side. The ship sails close by the Head and you get a totally different perspective from most stock photos. You can also likely see Rams Ledge light on the other side of the ship (starboard), which is a stone lighthouse from 1905 built on a tiny ledge of rock, with a rickety pier as access. Going out you'll sail close by, but it may be dusk or dark by then. You can also see Spring Point Light and Bug Point Light (Portland Breakwater Light) on the port side as you enter the harbor itself, both are very short, unimpressive lighthouses.

Great, thanks for the responses. We actually have an aft cabin so I hope to get some great photos.

Don

We also have an aft cabin for our 9/16 cruise on the Serenade. Hoping to get some great shots, probably still in my jammies. 😏

In my opinion, the best shots would be when the ship is almost abreast of the light, and you may not get as good a shot with the ship going away, if trying from an aft balcony. Even going to a forward observation area, will give better shots (with Cushing Island, South Portland, and the Portland skyline in the background) than from an aft looking back towards the light and just ocean in the background.

In my opinion, the best shots would be when the ship is almost abreast of the light, and you may not get as good a shot with the ship going away, if trying from an aft balcony. Even going to a forward observation area, will give better shots (with Cushing Island, South Portland, and the Portland skyline in the background) than from an aft looking back towards the light and just ocean in the background.

Thanks for the info. I may forward and my wife can stay on the balcony. We can cover the opertunity at both angles.

Don

We also have an aft cabin for our 9/16 cruise on the Serenade. Hoping to get some great shots, probably still in my jammies. 😏

We’re on the Serenade 9/17 next year. Let us know how your photos turn out.

Don

Agree... if you pass close to dawn all of your photos will have the sunrise in the background. Your best photos will be shots facing west. There should still be daylight at sail away in September. The reverse will be true. Be on the bow for pictures then as the sun will be behind you.

I did not see the lighthouse when we arrived into Portland in the morning. In the afternoon when we left Portland bound for Bar Harbor we did sail towards south and did see the lighthouse on our Starboard side before heading north.

This the best I could do with my mobile.

Anthem of the Seas Cruise September 22, 2016.

687a7e579fe7e05491d349970eec353f.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I would also recommend Portland Discovery Tours’ Lighthouse Discovery Tour. I got beautiful pictures of islands, Casco Bay and lots of lighthouses! I learned quite a bit about the area. Highly recommended, only $25 for 90 minutes, and it is very near the pier. https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g40827-d319044-r218573239-Portland_Discovery_Tours-Portland_Maine.html

I did not see the lighthouse when we arrived into Portland in the morning. In the afternoon when we left Portland bound for Bar Harbor we did sail towards south and did see the lighthouse on our Starboard side before heading north.

This the best I could do with my mobile.

Anthem of the Seas Cruise September 22, 2016.

687a7e579fe7e05491d349970eec353f.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

What a lovely shot! I hope to be as lucky on our cruise in October...thank you for sharing.