AT&T cell service on Azamara

Trantor

We're going on the Journey from Scotland, up the Norwegian coast, ending in Denmark. AT&T's international package for use on land doesn't cover service while on board the ship. For that they have a package that offers 50 minutes of voice service for $50, or unlimited for $100.

Does anyone have experience for how well this works aboard the Journey? I spoke with an Azamara phone rep who said he hadn't heard complaints. He also said that instead of buying this through AT&T, we could get it through Azamara once on the ship, but didn't know if the price was the same. I couldn't get a clear answer from him as to whether there would be additional charges from Azamara if we got the package from AT&T.

At sea, AT&T's international package probably doesn't cover normal service. However, in Norwegian ports, and in most of the fjords, even while on board the ship, I believe your package should be OK - or?

Screwcork

I'm just wondering if you could use the ship's wifi for calls while on board? Switch your phone service to wifi and keep it in airplane mode. It may make sense if you have a wifi package on the Journey or if you've received some free wifi minutes from Azamara as a loyalty reward.

Prior to leaving on the Journey last year I had purchased an AT&T package for Europe for about $60 if I recall correctly. They neglected to tell me it did not cover maritime usage. I got a call from AT&T a day into my cruise where they "kindly" offered to add the maritime package for $100. I had no service issues at all anywhere.

I'm going on the Journey on Aug. 8th. Yesterday, a friend of mine that cruises a lot told me to install on my phone an app called "WhatsApp", which I did. It allows you to call, text & receive messages on your phone in airplane mode and using the ships Wifi. If you have Messenger, you can also use that.

I'm going on the Journey on Aug. 8th. Yesterday, a friend of mine that cruises a lot told me to install on my phone an app called "WhatsApp", which I did. It allows you to call, text & receive messages on your phone in airplane mode and using the ships Wifi. If you have Messenger, you can also use that.

Used WhatsApp on our cruise in the Med in June with the ship’s wifi. It was fine and, at times, we were even able to use video calling.

I believe the OP’s cruise is at least partly in Norway so there may some issues with signal strength in that location.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums